Home

Sony readying new, slimmer PS3?

This is a discussion on Sony readying new, slimmer PS3? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Sony readying new, slimmer PS3?

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/23/ps3-...ku-goes-cheap/

Quote:
PS3-4000, the latest, slimmest version of Sony’s current console, will not be announced at the main Sony gamescom press conference on August 14, VG247 has been told.

A gamescom reveal had been planned, but stock levels of the current build are said to be too high for Sony to move onto what is probably the last take on PS3 before PlayStation 4 is announced next year.

In addition, a source today said that the rumoured 16Gb version of PS3-4000 is in fact real, and is based on Flash memory. There was some confusion surrounding the figure, which originated from Anatel, the Brazilian Agency of Telecommunications, with many assuming it was intended to read 160Gb.

The new model will stack up against Microsoft’s 4Gb Flash-based Xbox 360. As the 16Gb PS3-4000 will have a flip-lid disc input and low-capacity storage, we’ve been told today that the announcement “may” be accompanied by a huge price cut, with the entry version potentially dropping as low as £99. Specifics are yet to be ironed out, though.

In addition to the 16Gb version, 250GB and 500GB options have been rumoured.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 07-23-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fixed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #26
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
I wonder if they'll do any good 60gb trade-in offers for the new system.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #27
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I wonder if they'll do any good 60gb trade-in offers for the new system.
Damn... $99 for the 16gb would be a great deal for people just now getting into it.

Depending on what else we find out and how this looks (and price, lol), I might consider getting that 500gb model.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

Will a 16 GB hard drive hamper any past or future games that have large mandatory installs?

That issue aside, I think these things would really fly off the shelves at $119 (the article said £99 which is about $119).

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
Will a 16 GB hard drive hamper any past or future games that have large mandatory installs?

That issue aside, I think these things would really fly off the shelves at $119 (the article said £99 which is about $119).
Like I said, it would be good for somebody like me who has an extra 500GB HDD lying around. You can always upgrade it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Like I said, it would be good for somebody like me who has an extra 500GB HDD lying around. You can always upgrade it.
It sounds like these units might be flash memory though, so it wouldn't be possible to upgrade these like we have with the other units, right?

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 07-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

The 16gb SKU will be very tricky. They'd need some very clear marketing or easy upgrade path for additional space for layman consumers. We don't know how much of that space will be consumed by the OS, and with some games taking up 1/4th of the available space to play people that are new to the platform could be in for a frustrating experience.

I bought Resistance 3 a month or two ago, from the point I put it into my PS3 it took over an hour for it to install and download patches. Having to repeat that process as a normal part of gaming on the console would not be a very good experience.

That gets even more tricky if they get PSN+
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The 16gb SKU will be very tricky. They'd need some very clear marketing or easy upgrade path for additional space for layman consumers. We don't know how much of that space will be consumed by the OS, and with some games taking up 1/4th of the available space to play people that are new to the platform could be in for a frustrating experience.

I bought Resistance 3 a month or two ago, from the point I put it into my PS3 it took over an hour for it to install and download patches. Having to repeat that process as a normal part of gaming on the console would not be a very good experience.

That gets even more tricky if they get PSN+
I agree that the initial game install and patches can be annoying at times, especially when you want to just play the game after buying it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »