Home

PlayStation 4 Discussion

This is a discussion on PlayStation 4 Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Review
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 09-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #37593
The Man

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: PlayStation 4 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
So what we think prices will be, $500+?

My Pro is only 1 1/2 old, I really dont think I want to fork out the money for a new system.
With SSD drives I donít see how itís under $500 US. Iím hoping EB Games has a good trade in offer. With BC games it will help.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #37594
All Star

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

One concern I had with next gen was I didn't want to buy a base model and 3-4 years later a pro version comes out. I'm only trying to buy one console. But I was kind of hoping that with this upgrade in technology that there wouldn't be a need for a "Pro" or mid gen refresh. I would rather them focus on one console so that it makes it easier on developers. I wouldn't want to see devs have to produce games with possibly 4 different consoles in mind. I rather them just focus on one consoles. If they want to create consoles with different skins, slim version, or ones with bigger hard drives, than thats cool. As long as these consoles don't come underwhelming like this current gen, than I don't see a need for a mid gen refresh unless they truly want to extend the life of the PS5.

I'm guessing Base price would be $499 and Pro(if it is true) would be $599. I'm still not sure if I want to buy PS5 at launch. I bought PS4 a year after launch. I had no plans on getting the Pro. My girlfriend bought it for me 2 years ago for Christmas as a gift. Money isn't the issue. My issue would be 2 things. One would be I only had my Pro for 2 years, don't know if I'm in a rush. And two there needs to quality games at launch. I want to be blown away from what I see to want to buy at launch. If we can get a quality launch PS5 Madden 21 and NBA2k21, than that could help. But I would wait until following holiday if I could. But Backwards Compatibility does help.

Hopefully they do have good PS4 trade is. I would be willing to trade in my Pro and Base PS4 if I could get at least $200-300 towards the PS5. Then I would be willing to buy game at launch if I only had to pay $200-300 out of pocket for the console

Last edited by illwill10; 09-20-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #37595
All Star

illwill10's Arena

I do believe we will start getting information around that February event date similar to PS4. I don't think they will wait until E3. But I don't necessarily think they will skip E3 next year. I do agree with the decision to skip this past year. Since they released some specs, there was no reason spends millions of dollars to promote nothing of value at E3. Unless they want to wait until PlayStation Experience, I see them using E3 to showcase new games. I can see them officially releasing the console name and release date at that Feb event and showcase the hardware and early footage of games. Then at E3 showing full slate of launch titles and future titles.
I do expect a mid November release. Holiday release usually is around late November that way you give parents time to save up for the consoles and that is usually the time college students get their refunds. If it is November, then that is the time I usually pay my car insurance in full for the 6 months. So might not want dish out all that money in that month. So might wait until after I receive my tax refund in February.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #37596
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
They are going to release a PS5 Pro alongside the base PS5 at launch? That is odd.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/09/19/s...-5-pro-report/
I dont known how to fill about this if its true. I dont really like the idea of a mid gen update like we had with ps4 pro and I think the only reason they did a pro was because of 4k becoming bigger. I think it would kind of make scence to give people a option right away so they dont have to buy another upgrade console before ps6 only a few years after ps5 if they want more power but at the same time how much would a ps5 like pro cost on day 1 if they didn't wait a few years? Like how much would ps4 pro have cost with its specs had it came out in 2013 instead of 2016? Ps4 cost 400 if you got 200 for trading it in towards ps4 pro and then got ps4 pro cost 400. So if you got the two and with a trade in you would be spending 600 for ps4 and pro. Would a pro ps4 been more then 600 if it came out in 2013? Also I think a more powerful ps5 like pro makes less sense then a ps4 pro did because I think 8k is a lot farther away from really being a thing when ps5 comes out then 4k was when ps4 comes out. So a more powerful ps5 I dont really see much of a point in.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #37597
All Star

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I dont known how to fill about this if its true. I dont really like the idea of a mid gen update like we had with ps4 pro and I think the only reason they did a pro was because of 4k becoming bigger. I think it would kind of make scence to give people a option right away so they dont have to buy another upgrade console before ps6 only a few years after ps5 if they want more power but at the same time how much would a ps5 like pro cost on day 1 if they didn't wait a few years? Like how much would ps4 pro have cost with its specs had it came out in 2013 instead of 2016? Ps4 cost 400 if you got 200 for trading it in towards ps4 pro and then got ps4 pro cost 400. So if you got the two and with a trade in you would be spending 600 for ps4 and pro. Would a pro ps4 been more then 600 if it came out in 2013? Also I think a more powerful ps5 like pro makes less sense then a ps4 pro did because I think 8k is a lot farther away from really being a thing when ps5 comes out then 4k was when ps4 comes out. So a more powerful ps5 I dont really see much of a point in.
Yeah I agree.
Like 4k, 8k is a thing in the start of the console generation. But 4k was more of a realistic factor than 8k for Sony. Even though they were still running 1080, 4k was on the horizon. Even 4k TVs weren't that 'expensive'' at start of PS4. But, I think we are a ways off from 8k gaming. We are just now getting to Native 4k gaming for Sony for PS5. At most we are would get upscale 8k for movies and basic games like Tetris. Plus they can't really focus on 8k until the TVs become more reasonable for consumers. It'll stay around $900-1300+ for the foreseeable future. I think we are at least 5+ years away from when we will start seeing TV programs and apps from running in 8k. I think the whole "8k" promotion from both Sony and Microsoft was so they can future proof the consoles. We aren't going to see native 8k games for probably 7-10 years. So probably around PS6. Even then it'll be like where Sony is now, where it is 8k but not native 8k. So for this generation, once 8k becomes a true thing, they can upscale to 8k.
If PS5 is going to be that much of a powerful machine, than I don't see the need for a Pro version. Since they could upscale to 8k(I'm not sure if it'll be an option at launch) no need for a mid gen refresh for 8k gaming. The problem is that since both did a mid gen refresh for 4k, is that consumers are expecting a big leap in graphics for next gen. People are going to want a PS2 to PS3 jump in graphics. We didn't get a big jump in PS3 to base PS4. If the console is truly 3-4 times more powerful than base PS4, then save the mid gen refresh stuff for the PS6. I do agree that having the Pro version at launch does give consumer assurance that they don't have to buy a newer version a few years before the PS6. But that means you are going to paying more upfront. I don't see base PS5 being no less than $500. So I would expect a Pro Version at launch to be at least $100-200 more. I don't expect many parents to spend $600-700 on a Pro version for their children. So the Pro version would be for those who want the superior system. I think it would be wise just to focus on console and just make it as powerful as they would make a Pro. I would be willing to spend $600 if I know I dont have to buy another console until next generation. Especially if I can get some good Ps4 trade in deals
Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #37598
Pro

OVR: 0

Don't see Sony (or Microsoft) doing two consoles at launch as it simply doesn't work. Creates too much confusion and when releasing a new console, you want the message to be clear and simple as possible. One console, one price.

Don't see the consoles going past $500 at launch. Doing so would be basically be dead on arrival. As for the SSD's, not only have they become cheaper than a few years ago but also, Sony/Microsoft buys everything in massive bulk quantities and get them at a far cheaper price because they're buying so many at once for launch and consistently throughout a 8-10 year span.

Hoping they both just stick with Native 4K and leave 8K for PlayStation 6/Xbox 5. 4K hasn't even peaked yet and won't for a while so no reason for either of them to push 8K when majority of gamers will only start getting into 4K with next gen.

Last edited by peter42O; 09-21-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #37599
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

A PS5 Pro at launch could hit respectable PC price tag numbers.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #37600
All Star

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
Don't see Sony (or Microsoft) doing two consoles at launch as it simply doesn't work. Creates too much confusion and when releasing a new console, you want the message to be clear and simple as possible. One console, one price.

Don't see the consoles going past $500 at launch. Doing so would be basically be dead on arrival. As for the SSD's, not only have they become cheaper than a few years ago but also, Sony/Microsoft buys everything in massive bulk quantities and get them at a far cheaper price because they're buying so many at once for launch and consistently throughout a 8-10 year span.

Hoping they both just stick with Native 4K and leave 8K for PlayStation 6/Xbox 5. 4K hasn't even peaked yet and won't for a while so no reason for either of them to push 8K when majority of gamers will only start getting into 4K with next gen.
I agree. I can see XBox doing multiple consoles. But I rather see Sony just focus on one console at a set price. I didn't like when PS3 had several different consoles at different prices. Because the cheaper ones couldn't handle certain games. I still remember LA Noire ruining my Blu Ray Drive for my PS3. That's why I only want to see one console. I could see some games being developed specifically for the Pro model, which means that it wouldn't perform as well on the base.
I would like to see the next generation be stretched out longer. If the consoles are going to that much powerful and 8k gaming ways off, I don't see the point of rushing out PS6. I would like to see 8-10 years without need of of a mid gen refresh. I want to see a lot more quality PS5 games. I think with shorter gen cycles, developers start planning for future sooner and not fully maxing out potential of current generation. You could see last 2 gens, with yearly releases, when they stopped putting in max effort on current gen titles. I don't think the PS4 is fully tapped out, I just think companies are focused on next gen. That's what I loved about PS2 era. It feel like the PS2 met its full potential. Thats what I want to see PS5 do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »