Home

Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3

This is a discussion on Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3

Those are all advantages of a PC, and the counterpoint of consoles still apply. Only now you add the disadvantages of a console, no general purpose OS, no upgradeable gpu (the prototype they've shown and specs that have leaked were onboard gpu). On top of all that, I'd wager it will be moderately e expensive. So, as we know it, it's a pc in console clothes with none of the real advantages but inherits many of the disadvantages.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3

Valve has already confirmed that the Steam Box is not a console and is not going to be. Its a living room PC. Basically, its going to be a medium-to-high end HTPC. From the looks / sounds of it, Steam Box will be a lot like the Alienware X51 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd), but cheaper.

Also, if rumors are true, the system will have modular upgradability.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #11
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

What does modular upgrades even mean in this instance? You'll have to buy specific parts from specific compatible suppliers for your "living room PC" - a la the Xbox's HDD, the Vita's memory cards? Surely can't just buy whatever you'd like since it will need Linux drivers. Living room-centric mouse, keyboard, controller included? That's another $80-100 on top of that X51 price. And they expect 3rd parties to want to make their own version too?

I'm just not sure what problem a Steambox solves if it's $700+ and economies of scale don't let that price come down quickly. Especially if it comes out late this year and has year+ old hardware in it. There won't be any exclusives for it because there won't be enough sold, so what're they going to give us, free Valve games for x years?

I expect when the dust settles, "Steambox" will just be big picture mode, in the end this is still Valve just throwing a fit over Windows 8.

What do I know though, people have been overpaying for brand name computers for a long time. I look forward to seeing what they bring to the table... just don't see how it all adds up currently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
MVP

mestevo's Arena

They've got a long way to go to get to the class of that Alienware on the previous page... http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...r#.UOupHG-un7I

Hands on: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/h...lar-pc-at-ces/

Last edited by mestevo; 01-08-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

This might not be that one, but wow.

http://www.xi3.com/news.php?id=708

Based on the specs, I'd say it has an A10-4600M Trinity APU, base model could even be an A8 (these are laptop models)

Quote:
Xi3’s new X7A Modular Computer is designed specifically for gamers, engineers and power users. Housed in the standard Xi3 chassis that measures 4.27x3.656x3.656-inches, the X7A Modular Computer packs a real wallop, especially for a machine roughly the size of a grapefruit that draws a mere 40Watts of power.
The X7A Modular Computer is available with up to
  • A quad-core 64-bit, x86-based 32nm processor running at up to 3.2GHz (with 4MB of Level2 Cache),
  • An integrated graphics processor (GPU) containing up to 384 programmable graphics cores (or shaders),
  • 4GB—8GB of DDR3 RAM,
  • 64GB—1TB of internal solid-state SSD storage (with up to 12Gbps throughput speeds),
  • Three display ports providing maximum resolution of 4096x2160 (including 1 DisplayPort v1.2 and 2 Mini-DisplayPorts v1.2),
  • Four eSATAp 3.0 ports,
  • Four USB 3.0 ports,
  • Four USB 2.0 ports,
  • 1Gb Ethernet port, and
  • Three audio ports (1 input and 2 outputs: 1 copper and 1 optical).
Designed to be used as a standalone machine or in clustered configurations, the X7A will run any x86-based Operating System, including Windows 8 and lower, Linux, UNIX, etc. Prices for quad-core versions of the X7A Modular Computer will begin at $1,100, with General Availability starting in February 2013.
$1,100

That's just nuts.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
MVP

mestevo's Arena

That's it. The hands on above has all of those ports. Their cheapest modular computer starts at $499.

Last edited by mestevo; 01-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

If this box allows me to play MLB2K12 with mods, I'm in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
That thing is the size of your palm. How in the world will this thing not have any overheating but it's designed as on big *** looking heat sink.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »