Home

Steam box, yeah OK!!

This is a discussion on Steam box, yeah OK!! within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Steam box, yeah OK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAwesome
Yeah def not buying his, rather and will build my own Gaming PC for half the price.

Fixed
Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 5

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/12/va...self-from-xi3/

Valve slowly steps away from the Piston.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

What the heck is that thing?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Man why you guys tripping that's a great price for that small toy.

Shut I can definitely afford it with my rich ***, now all I have to do is donate blood, plasma, and sperm for 6 months. Possibly a kidney...sleep with the neighbors obese daughter, and cut their sea Nial grandmothers toe nails.

Then eat 1 time a day on 99 cent menu and be on tap water, I might be able to get one game.

This thing is definitely affordable for us richers!

I think my son has money in his piggy bank too, got to visit some old friends and search their couches for coin when they leave the room....

I'm just saying...

Last edited by Behindshadows; 03-12-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Man why you guys tripping that's a great price for that small toy.

Shut I can definitely afford it with my rich ***, now all I have to do is donate blood, plasma, and sperm for 6 months. Possibly a kidney...sleep with the neighbors obese daughter, and cut their seanial grandmothers toe nails.

Then eat 1 time a day on 99cent menu and be on tap water, I might be able to get one game.

This thing is definitely affordable for us richers!

I thing my son has money in his piggy bank too, got to visit some old friends and search their couches fr coin when they leave the room....

I'm just saying...
you had me at obese daughter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
This isn't really the Steam box, and from what Valve has said you won't see their box this year. Valve is pushing living room PCs, this is just one of those with some investment in money and marketing from Valve.

IMO Valve knows this thing will fail, it seems like a shrewd marketing move. They get this thing out to market, with a high price point and fairly weak internals that sets a really low bar, then they come out with something more like $600 that is faster and look like an absolute bargain. They are creating a new category of computers by which their box will be judged, rather than trying to compete with big box gaming PCs.

Seems like this thing was going for the size factor, whereas building your own gaming rig requires a larger case usually.

I'm sure Valve will dial it into a good price point when they come out with one...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

So, I know nothing about this (Thank you OS for opening my eyes to everything in the world).

Is Valve developing a living room PC that will allow you to play Steam games at the highest settings?

Because if you can't play at the highest settings, I won't even bother considering it.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
So, I know nothing about this (Thank you OS for opening my eyes to everything in the world).

Is Valve developing a living room PC that will allow you to play Steam games at the highest settings?

Because if you can't play at the highest settings, I won't even bother considering it.
Highest settings is a goalpost that is ever moving, so if you like to customize and tweak and update hardware to accomplish that then this will never be for you.

Steam is developing a platform, led by their Big Picture mode, which at best is expected to just be their own series of branded PCs in a smaller form factor case. This might not even be 'Valve' hardware, but rather a number of partnerships that highlight Steam and Big Picture mode in a smaller form factor PC you can put in your living room.

While this PC is not THE 'Steam Box' it is actually a company that Valve has engaged and (I believe) invested in. They're trying to help usher in this market.

In the end, it's an exercise in common denominators, to sell as many as possible it has to be cheaper and being cheaper means less power. More power, more price, and you get a threads like the first page of this one.

In the end, you aren't going to get better bang for your buck in a 'PC for your TV' than you will from a PS4/Xbox. This is partly why I think we're seeing Piston let loose all of this information now so they can get early adopters to bite.

Last edited by mestevo; 03-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »