Home

Steam box, yeah OK!!

This is a discussion on Steam box, yeah OK!! within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #33
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Steam box, yeah OK!!

I heard about this from my brother when he wanted to buy one, and I talked him out of it.

I personally dislike Steam but at the same time, why restrict one self to an individual market, pay more than a good enough gaming PC would cost 3/4ths of the cost, an HDMI cord runs $10-30, if you really wanted to play on your TV. Most newer computers/laptops come with HDMI out slots.

Just really don't see a point to restrict oneself when a cheaper alternative with vastly more options is there (gaming pc's). It'd be like paying an extra $100 for a game console that could only play first party games.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
Honest, they stand zero chance at that price.

sent from DNA
Its upgradeable AFTER a year though... thats the advantage it has architecture that wont leave it stagnant as a console would be...

Granted who cares when dev will be making games trying to squeeze out the best for their multiplatform games and all that extra expansion the steam box might have would just turn into better textures and lighting which i could care less about

so agree a price point for console gaming should be set no higher than 400 ESP when you buy a console you have to take into account ALL the other costs around it now.. games controllers online subscpitions I mean a 400 console at launch will cost you in total 600 JUST to start playing it
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #35
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Its upgradeable AFTER a year though... thats the advantage it has architecture that wont leave it stagnant as a console would be...

Granted who cares when dev will be making games trying to squeeze out the best for their multiplatform games and all that extra expansion the steam box might have would just turn into better textures and lighting which i could care less about

so agree a price point for console gaming should be set no higher than 400 ESP when you buy a console you have to take into account ALL the other costs around it now.. games controllers online subscpitions I mean a 400 console at launch will cost you in total 600 JUST to start playing it
The console will come with a controller, and subscriptions aren't required for the systems or the Steam Box, and the price of games factors into the Steambox too. It's not worth it unless it comes at a price that competes with a decent range of gaming PC's as well as the console market, at $800-1000 it doesn't. Their marketing team is banking far too much on their brand selling it.

They need to take advantage of Penetration Pricing rather than trying to sell as an established retailer, they are not outside of being a digital gaming platform. As a console it's a new product and it doesn't compete favorably on many counts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #36
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:

What's this based on? Nearly Every graphics card I've bought since the late 90s is bigger than this computer. Common sense would seem to indicate that I'll then have to buy specific specialized upgrades if any are even available in any reasonable quantities - all of that makes them inherently more expensive for everyone (both manufacturing and for the consumer).

Can't sell PCs at console prices without a significant hit to their capabilities because the business model doesn't allow the manufacturer see any ROI from subsidizing them.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

You could get a much better PC built for the price of one of these things and do just as much upgrading. I don't understand who this is supposed to be for. Is a small box really that big of a deal?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »