Home

My PS3 has finally died

This is a discussion on My PS3 has finally died within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 33
Re: My PS3 has finally died

Here in DR I get some kind of warrantee, so I dont have to pay for taking it back to the repair store, thus have to invest the time to go there ... I ultimately gave up tho, as it didnt last more than a day or two.

If possible, once you go back to pick it up, could you try to also find out what causes it, what exactly gets damaged (hard drive, motherboard, ?), how can one avoid the recurrence, etc ... if rumors are true, they might not be friendly enough to answer but guess it shouldnt hurt to try, once they hand the console over to you as fixed.

Finally, if the console doesnt get fixed or last as long as you wish, try and sell it to them, I mean the parts of it that are good ... i.e. here at DR the optical reader is at US$100 or so and the harddrive about $25-30 ... something is more than nothing.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 07-16-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
Rookie

sars973's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm in the same boat!

I have a 40 gb fat PS3. It's been running strong for the 3/4 years I've owned it but earlier today it died. YLOD.

I looked at my options and they are as follows:

1. Send it to Sony for $99.00 + tax and hope they fix/replace it.

2. Send it to Gophermods for $79.99 and hope they fix it and it lasts another 6 months-1 year.

3. Sell it for parts and put the money towards a new PS3. (Although I can't really afford more than $100 out of pocket for a new PS3 so this will be tough to figure out.)

4. Sell it for parts and just play my 360 until I decide to get a PS4. (But at this point I only have Forza 4; the only games I want to play in the future are multiplatform.)

Any thoughts on which option is best?

Any experiences of sending a PS3 to Sony or Gophermods?

Also, try this to get your game disc out:

1. Press and hold the eject button. (Make sure the back switch is OFF)
2. While holding the eject button, flip the back switch to ON.
3. The fan should start running really loud and the PS3 should eject your disc. Then it will shut off like it does for the YLOD.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sars973
I'm in the same boat!

I have a 40 gb fat PS3. It's been running strong for the 3/4 years I've owned it but earlier today it died. YLOD.

I looked at my options and they are as follows:

1. Send it to Sony for $99.00 + tax and hope they fix/replace it.

2. Send it to Gophermods for $79.99 and hope they fix it and it lasts another 6 months-1 year.

3. Sell it for parts and put the money towards a new PS3. (Although I can't really afford more than $100 out of pocket for a new PS3 so this will be tough to figure out.)

4. Sell it for parts and just play my 360 until I decide to get a PS4. (But at this point I only have Forza 4; the only games I want to play in the future are multiplatform.)

Any thoughts on which option is best?

Any experiences of sending a PS3 to Sony or Gophermods?

Also, try this to get your game disc out:

1. Press and hold the eject button. (Make sure the back switch is OFF)
2. While holding the eject button, flip the back switch to ON.
3. The fan should start running really loud and the PS3 should eject your disc. Then it will shut off like it does for the YLOD.
Yea i've been trying that to get the disc out but it doesn't seem to work because it shuts off after 2 secs.

If you send it to Sony you will lose everything on your hard drive. More than likely you won't even get your same system in return but instead they will give you a refurbished one from what i've read online with everyone else's experience in sending it to Sony. And it's around $150.

I just found out about GopherMods as well today but they're located in Minnesota and more than likely do the same job the guys in NJ do which is why i'm leaning towards the NJ guys, wouldn't pay shipping by dropping it off or worrying about it getting damaged when shipped plus the wait time would be less.

From what I understand it has something to do with the chips getting loose on the motherboard which is why the Heat Gun or blowdryer tricks seem to work for people. You melt things back into place and I guess it works but if I do go to videogame911 i'll ask them when I get my system back. I hope the people really aren't d-bags and I can have a normal conversation with them without them treating me like an idiot for not knowing all this stuff.

Someone on twitter told me his sytem has been working for 3 months now after sending it to them and he gave them an A+ from him so it was nice to get that reassurance from someone because like I said earlier, most people that take the time to do a review online usually are the ones who had the bad experiences while the people who typically have the good experience tend to just move on and go on with their life. Either way i'll give my review.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Rookie

sars973's Arena

OVR: 0

I called Sony today. After talking to 2 different people these are my options:

1. Pay $99 and send it in. They fix my PS3 and send it back.

2. Pay $99 and send it in. They send me a refurbished 40gb back.

Don't really like either because the YLOD could easily happen again.

They did say that if I had a backwards compatible 60/80gb with YLOD, I could upgrade it to a Slim for like $150. Of course the 40gb isn't eligible for that.

Sony's online store is selling a 320 gb refurbed slim for $199. Might think about that.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I say take the refurbished option. That one should last you until you are going to do any upgrades.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I wouldn't do anything that got rid of your 60GB, period.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #31
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Well again though the other 2 compainies did right by me and repaired their console free.
The YLOD with the fattys was an issue that surfaced and they should have repaired for free.
And I never should have had to try and repair myself.

That will always be a negative towards Sony with me.
To me, there's one big difference.

One was a system that was made pretty ****ty and you could expect to open a brand new one up and within a month be forced to call the manufacture because it needed repaired or replaced.

With the other, the issue would happen if you didn't do preventative maintenance (the consumers fault), left the system on for days at a time (the consumers fault) or the system was just too old. In the last case, if you did the preventative maintenance, you most likely wouldn't run into the issue either.

The "other" owed nothing to their consumers because it was not an issue that was popping up with what seemed to be every single console. It was, again, something that can be prevented most of the time. One company knew if they didn't do something drastic, like offer 3-years of warranty repair on their console, they'd lose a lot of customers.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sars973
I called Sony today. After talking to 2 different people these are my options:

1. Pay $99 and send it in. They fix my PS3 and send it back.

2. Pay $99 and send it in. They send me a refurbished 40gb back.

Don't really like either because the YLOD could easily happen again.

They did say that if I had a backwards compatible 60/80gb with YLOD, I could upgrade it to a Slim for like $150. Of course the 40gb isn't eligible for that.

Sony's online store is selling a 320 gb refurbed slim for $199. Might think about that.
Every single story or person i've spoke to that went through Sony ended up getting a refurbished one back in return. If you go through Sony, you have 0 chance of getting your same PS3 back with all of your stuff on it. If you do get your same PS3 back everything will still be gone. Unless you already backed your stuff on a hard drive, you'll be SOL if you want to keep your game saves, music, movies, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »