Home

PC or Next Gen Console?

This is a discussion on PC or Next Gen Console? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: PC or Next Gen Console?

The nice thing for me with having a console is just putting a game in and having it work without messing with settings and drivers and all that jazz. I have a powerful PC (7970 3GB and 12GB of RAM) but I'll be using it for PC exclusives only once the next gen consoles come out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #42
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fire
How is COD on the PC? Specifically the multiplayer. If I use a controller will I be able to keep up with the mouse and keyboards players? I'm guessing not. I know the mouse and keyboard is supposed to be better but I've just been using controllers for 20 years. That would really be the only thing keeping me from going PC. Don't really even play sports games that much anymore.
I hear it's full of rampant cheating and hacking.
So just like the 360 version without being cussed at by kids not even old enough to play the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
The nice thing for me with having a console is just putting a game in and having it work without messing with settings and drivers and all that jazz. I have a powerful PC (7970 3GB and 12GB of RAM) but I'll be using it for PC exclusives only once the next gen consoles come out.
Steam can auto update AMD drivers.
Far as settings...well that's part of the point. You should want to mess them. Want better performance,better looking etc.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #43
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Steam can auto update AMD drivers.
Far as settings...well that's part of the point. You should want to mess them. Want better performance,better looking etc.
Not for me. I play games to play games, not tinker in menus until fraps gives me a good enough number. It's not worth the hassle.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #44
AB>

Moses Shuttlesworth's Arena

OVR: 34

If you are interested in Battlefield 4, PC is a must if you have the option.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Not for me. I play games to play games, not tinker in menus until fraps gives me a good enough number. It's not worth the hassle.

Think I'd rather play the second one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBLUE_08
Even if it is a next gen port you will still be fine with a mid level rig. People forget that the current gen consoles are equivilent to a low end pc. A perfect example is NBA 2K, with all the mods that are available, 2k13 already looks like next gen 2k14. The next gen systems arent really about huge leaps in graphics, they are more about giving developers more space to add more interactive content. Take Battlefield 4 for example,one of their big talking points from the footage they showed was the ability to bring down entire buildings, more open spaces, better particle effects. They just simply didnt have the space to pull that off on the current consoles. Another example Skyrim, check out nexusmods.com and tell me that skyrim doesnt look next gen with some of the mods that are available on pc. And you dont need a high end "gaming" pc to pull it off
Yes, next gen consoles are equivelent to a lower side of the mid end pc gaming rig. What you don't take into account however is the ps4/xb1 games are optimized on ONE set of hardware 100% great optimization. PC optimization is mostly ****, especially ubisoft games. i7 3770k and a gtx 780 I still only get 30 fps at some points in AC3, all this just because it runs at 1080p and doesn't have pop in but otherwise is identical to the 360 version.

Find me a pc game that could pull of the graphics of Uncharted/Halo4/GTAV/LastofUS on a system with 524 mb of ram, a graphics card equivalent to the GTX 7800, and a 1 ghz tri core processor.

So never, ever compare hardware across the board from a pc to console standpoint, because PC will never even get 10% of the optimization that consoles get.

BF4 is running at 900p, almost full max settings and 60 fps on the ps4 at trade shows. Show me a low end gaming pc that will pull that off, none will come close.

For PC gaming to be superior this early in a new console generation you really need a beefy pc, and even then the difference could be negligible on most crappy ports. It won't be til the later half of the ps4 life cycle we start to see mid range gaming pcs clearly out performing it.

Last edited by Wikedjug; 10-04-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #47
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjug
Yes, next gen consoles are equivelent to a lower side of the mid end pc gaming rig. What you don't take into account however is the ps4/xb1 games are optimized on ONE set of hardware 100% great optimization. PC optimization is mostly ****, especially ubisoft games. i7 3770k and a gtx 780 I still only get 30 fps at some points in AC3, all this just because it runs at 1080p and doesn't have pop in but otherwise is identical to the 360 version.

Find me a pc game that could pull of the graphics of Uncharted/Halo4/GTAV/LastofUS on a system with 524 mb of ram, a graphics card equivalent to the GTX 7800, and a 1 ghz tri core processor.

So never, ever compare hardware across the board from a pc to console standpoint, because PC will never even get 10% of the optimization that consoles get.

BF4 is running at 900p, almost full max settings and 60 fps on the ps4 at trade shows. Show me a low end gaming pc that will pull that off, none will come close.

For PC gaming to be superior this early in a new console generation you really need a beefy pc, and even then the difference could be negligible on most crappy ports. It won't be til the later half of the ps4 life cycle we start to see mid range gaming pcs clearly out performing it.
Killed it. A+ post
Old 10-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #48

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjug
900p is nowhere near the quality 1080p, and "almost full max settings" on a console won't come close to touching what "almost full max settings" on a PC are.

Look at what we've seen from BF4. Crappy visual quality. ~900p@60fps, almost full max settings? Yes. But those max settings are crap. (NB: I'm sure this will be fixed by release.)

Even if it is 900p on the PS4 at release, you will still have to deal with scaling which makes it look pretty cruddy (to me, personally.)

The argument goes both ways, and there's no way around it. Games developed for PC will always look better. Games developed for consoles will always (until some paradigm shift happens) be better optimized. Windows is meant to be a catch-all operating system. The PS3/X360 have (what amounts to virtually) no formal operating systems and are meant to mainly do one thing, and one thing only. Without a game running right now, I have 91 processes running in Windows, according to task manager.

Maybe the SteamOS will change some of this, who knows. Like has been said though, even a straight next gen port will be fine. They're using some pretty low-to-mid level equivalent parts in there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »