Home

Anyone Going Digital?

This is a discussion on Anyone Going Digital? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Anyone Going Digital?

I'm thinking about it for this gen. The only thing that's stopping me is the sales. PS4 can't play CDs or DVDs. I'm not even sure about bluray movies. The entire game installs on the disc. The CD is essentially the DRM that ensures you have a legal copy.

So what's the point of having the cd at all? Just download the game is what I'm thinking. The only reason I say no to it because MS and Sony are too greedy to offer a BOGO or B2G1 deal. But if they turn it into a steam like feature, I will have no problem going strictly online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Anyone Going Digital?

I've posted it before, but I'm going digital where it makes sense, namely oft-played titles so that I don't have to swap discs as well as increasing remote play accessibility. Out of the gate I'll likely be buying Madden Thursday night on PSN.

Sales of physical titles I'll still indulge in, but have no qualms about paying a premium (missing out on those minor day-1 discounts we sometimes see) to go digital on titles I will be playing a lot of.

I've got $20 in PSN cash anyways for Madden, so I'll be paying the same price for it I would as if it were part of a B2G1.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I've posted it before, but I'm going digital where it makes sense, namely oft-played titles so that I don't have to swap discs as well as increasing remote play accessibility. Out of the gate I'll likely be buying Madden Thursday night on PSN.

Sales of physical titles I'll still indulge in, but have no qualms about paying a premium (missing out on those minor day-1 discounts we sometimes see) to go digital on titles I will be playing a lot of.

I've got $20 in PSN cash anyways for Madden, so I'll be paying the same price for it I would as if it were part of a B2G1.
Sony is giving a ten dollar voucher for launch adopters...Thinkin about getting Infamous with that voucher..Very tempting. Instead of the disc. Also, special editions will be a reason I got physical. I need to buy a bigger HDD but waiting on black friday to do that.. Need 2TB, hopefully for under 60 bucks lol

My internet cap is also an issue. I haven't checked it lately, but if I recall, att internet cap is 150GB. I have no idea if they up that since they offer Uverse. Comcast's is 250GB

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Custome...s/td-p/1793038

that's what I'm afraid what will happen to me If I take the all digital console route(i already use consoles to watch HD shows) My situation is the same as his

Last edited by yungflo; 11-11-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

It sure would be nice to be able to switch games seamlessly. I'm tempted to try some games digitally.

What baffles me are the relatively small hard drives both systems are giving us. With games pushing 50 gigs, these systems should have at least been 1TB.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Data Caps
Options
‎08-19-2013 12:58 PM

I was frustrated to discover, today, that Comcast is imposing data caps on our internet usage. I am a broke student with four children. We don't have television, but we do have Netflix. Last month my data usage was 600 GB (which surprised me how much I use). Some of that was downloading some large games to my PS3, but most of that was my children watching stuff on Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I can't afford $60 extra per month for internet (though I'm a reasonable man... I'd be willing to spend another $20 to double my limit), and I will spend the next three months leading up to the enforcement of this limit looking for another ISP. I hope other Comcast users will do the same so that Comcast will begin to notice that this is a bad policy and that it will not help their bottom line. As much as they try to get new customers and as much as they advertise the SPEED of their internet, it seems odd to begin punishing people for actually using the speed that they're paying for.
Another concern.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
Sony is giving a ten dollar voucher for launch adopters...Thinkin about getting Infamous with that voucher..Very tempting. Instead of the disc. Also, special editions will be a reason I got physical. I need to buy a bigger HDD but waiting on black friday to do that.. Need 2TB, hopefully for under 60 bucks lol

My internet cap is also an issue. I haven't checked it lately, but if I recall, att internet cap is 150GB. I have no idea if they up that since they offer Uverse. Comcast's is 250GB

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Custome...s/td-p/1793038

that's what I'm afraid what will happen to me If I take the all digital console route(i already use consoles to watch HD shows) My situation is the same as his
I'm going all digital from day one. Like you, I'm currently looking for a HDD but I'm going to just do my research now and scoop one on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Looking at tigerdirect.com or newegg.com.

I'm probably going to get a 2TB HDD because we're going to be able to get 2 free games a month from the PS store in addition to the large exclusive titles. Just imagine how big The Show will be in a few months.

The B2G1 deals don't bother me too much. I have a feeling as the months go by, Sony will be forced to give certain incentives for the digital bunch whether it be digital preorder codes for DLC or some sort of coupon code incentive for people who have multiple digital downloads. People can call me crazy but that's what I believe because I think they'll make a push to get more and more gamers to go digital. Financially, it's to their benefit. They can cut the middle man out.

The pros for going all digital for ME just outweigh buying physical copies.

I have never sold a game since my PS2 days.
The ease of not having to go to a store or wait for a UPS/FedEx/USPS guy.
Being able to play my games on other people's consoles just by logging in (and not having to drag my games around).
If/when I travel, I can just have my console and my entire collection with me.

The investment in the HDD is a no-brainer for me. Just trying to do my due diligence and find a good deal on one. Any suggestions, I'd love to hear.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Also, people are making a huge deal about the installation times.

I would much rather than going to a store or waiting for a delivery guy just going to sleep at night and setting my PS4 to download a game while I sleep. When I wake up, Boom it's there.

Or how about you go to the gym in the morning and set it to download. When you get back home, you're ready to go.

The convenience, while not priceless (you have to invest in a HDD), is a huge positive for me.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

If they made digital say $50 instead of $60, I'd likely do it. But if it's going to be $60, I'll stick with the physical copy so I can trade it in later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »