Home

SteelSeries Wireless H Gaming Headset (WOW)

This is a discussion on SteelSeries Wireless H Gaming Headset (WOW) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

OVR: 1
SteelSeries Wireless H Gaming Headset (WOW)

I just got these from Amazon for my PS4 and holy smokes these are amazing

I have tried the TB Elite 800 which are very nice as well but will return them tomorrow because these SS are awesome

I even tried the Halo Astro A50 and nothing compares
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: SteelSeries Wireless H Gaming Headset (WOW)

At $300 they better wow you.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo

Twitch Stream
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You will be surprised at some $300 cans I have gotten in the past that are terrible.

These are excellent and I got them for $250 not bad...

They work on my PC, PS4 and Xbox
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

In the $300 range, I think the Philips X2/27 Fidelio are the best for the money. From a pure sound quality stand point at least. A true audiophile headphone will beat a headset in sound quality all day but there is pros and cons to both. Convenience with the mic and wireless ability is a pro of the H, but your con is you losing some audio quality compared to the same price point. Its balancing what you expect/want out of your cans. I went with big sound stage and excellent positional audio of the AKG 612 Pros, I also choose to not run software based 3d positional audio because it degrades the sound quality. So I run high quality stereo, which there is a huge debate which is better. Just know you can get excellent positional audio from stereo instead of a 5:1 or 7:1 software based headset.

Glad to hear you enjoying them, that is all that matters though. Just looked them over, for a headset, I'd say best out there. I listen to a ton of music and wanted a open-air design so that was my big draw for moving to a true audiophile headphone from a headset. There is pain in the asses with it, like a separate mic, not wireless, and needing a amp to power with the higher impedance, BUT the sound quality is amazing. Being able to pick up where the guitarist is on the stage, how far back the drummer is, hearing a singer move from left to right, the little nuisances you don't pick up with a regular pair of headphones. So I'm able to deal with the cons. One thing I will say, there is nothing like a good pair of headphones. I put 500+ hours on a pair easy in a year.

Last edited by Phobia; 02-23-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
In the $300 range, I think the Philips X2/27 Fidelio are the best for the money. From a pure sound quality stand point at least. A true audiophile headphone will beat a headset in sound quality all day but there is pros and cons to both. Convenience with the mic and wireless ability is a pro of the H, but your con is you losing some audio quality compared to the same price point. Its balancing what you expect/want out of your cans. I went with big sound stage and excellent positional audio of the AKG 612 Pros, I also choose to not run software based 3d positional audio because it degrades the sound quality. So I run high quality stereo, which there is a huge debate which is better. Just know you can get excellent positional audio from stereo instead of a 5:1 or 7:1 software based headset.

Glad to hear you enjoying them, that is all that matters though. Just looked them over, for a headset, I'd say best out there. I listen to a ton of music and wanted a open-air design so that was my big draw for moving to a true audiophile headphone from a headset. There is pain in the asses with it, like a separate mic, not wireless, and needing a amp to power with the higher impedance, BUT the sound quality is amazing. Being able to pick up where the guitarist is on the stage, how far back the drummer is, hearing a singer move from left to right, the little nuisances you don't pick up with a regular pair of headphones. So I'm able to deal with the cons. One thing I will say, there is nothing like a good pair of headphones. I put 500+ hours on a pair easy in a year.
Yea am sure these are crap compared to reference cans. But in terms of the ones you are using how do you get them to work on the ps4?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants4Natic
Yea am sure these are crap compared to reference cans. But in terms of the ones you are using how do you get them to work on the ps4?
My Sound Blaster Z has a optical in and optical out. So my headphones are plugged into the headphone OUT port. So the PS4 optical cable runs to my optical IN, then my optical OUT is run to my surround sound receiver.

So with this setup, I can use my headphones with my PC or PS4 without unplugging anything. PLUS I can switch all the same audio to my 5:1 surround sound theater setup if I don't feel like rocking the cans or if I have people at the house. One single setup, no cable switching, and best audio quality.

Pretty much the routing, except add a optical cable on the out to the receiver and 5:1 surround speakers hooked to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpoption.jpg (57.0 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Phobia; 02-23-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
Rookie

josef's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants4Natic
I just got these from Amazon for my PS4 and holy smokes these are amazing

I have tried the TB Elite 800 which are very nice as well but will return them tomorrow because these SS are awesome

I even tried the Halo Astro A50 and nothing compares
I've been hearing nothing but great things about them. I had the Astro A50s and they were pretty good, but not worth the $300 IMO. The build quality on my set left much to be desired.. sound was great though. The Steelseries Wireless H will be my next purchase, hopefully next month.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »