Home

Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibility

This is a discussion on Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibility within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #17
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
I have my PS3 for my PS3 games. So far so good.
Same here

I can still play college hoops abd whatever else.

Shrugs
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #18
Pro

Super Glock's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Despite Microsoft's Move to Support It, Sony Has No Plans for Backwards Compatibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Speaking for myself I don't like having multiple consoles hooked up to the same tv as the area tends to look cluttered. Also don't like hooking up, un hooking and storing away (rinse, repeat). Being able to play some of the older games that I never got a chance to play and all new gen games on 1 platform is a pretty cool thing. Not groundbreaking or a gamechanger or anything but a nice perk...
Yes definitely a nice perk to have, glad Microsoft was able to provide this.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #19
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Personally I think it is a nice feature to have but even MSoft hasn't provided true backwards compatibility. I have hundreds of 360 games I can't play on the One right now because they are not on the list of supported devices. Some of them are from developers that no longer exist and might never make it onto the list. There were over 1000 games released for 360 over it's lifetime, 100 of them will be supported by the end of the year. As of right now this is just a gimmick feature to me.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:28 AM   #20
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

OVR: 1

People underestimating this are looking at it as PS4 owners only.

MS did not do this because gamers want to only play last gen games.

MS knows that PS4 has a huge advantage because PS4 has 40% of owners who were 360 owners

Also there are a ton of 360 owners that have not jumped to next gen yet and now they can by trading in 360 and getting 180 for it towards an xbox one that they can play next gen games along with their 360 games.

This will be huge specially when MS starts releasing some games that have past titles on 360 as part of the package like Rainbow six is doing

Like Fall Out 4 is doing

This makes tons more sense for MS to do because they had the better performing games last gen

Believe me if MS starts to gain traction in sales, Sony will find a way
Old 06-23-2015, 01:55 AM   #21
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

It feels like I played about as must Geometry Wars this week as I played Forza Horizon 2. I wouldn't have hooked up a 360 to do that, and now 4 of my old launch 360 games push my console towards ~70 full games, demos and betas installed and available with a couple of button presses.

Now if only I could overtake my friend who's been #1 on our leaderboard for a couple of years...

Sony just isn't in a position to roll this out, they've invested in hundreds of millions in the acquisition and infrastructure for PS Now, they've got to recoup that and then some.

I'm really looking forward to things like the Rainbow 6 Vegas games being included w/ Siege. It's unfortunate that licensing will probably prevent a lot of the most-desired titles around here from happening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

PS Now is a complete joke. They'll never recoup anything from that project at the rate they're going in.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #23
MVP

sarlndr's Arena

OVR: 6
If MS had did this at launch it would have helped sell more systems. I don't think it will have the same effect now. I didn't buy a new system to play an eight year old games but to each their own. I'll just keep playing newer games I guess.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarlndr
If MS had did this at launch it would have helped sell more systems. I don't think it will have the same effect now. I didn't buy a new system to play an eight year old games but to each their own. I'll just keep playing newer games I guess.
I can say that it probably would have sold at least one more X1. I was torn when I bought my PS4 about a year ago. IF X1 had BC at that time, I probably would have gone with the X1 instead of the PS4 (since I had a 360 in the last generation). Too late now though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »