Home

Playsation Ninentendo Combined Console is Amazing

This is a discussion on Playsation Ninentendo Combined Console is Amazing within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Playsation Ninentendo Combined Console is Amazing

What could have been folks!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/3/8889...o-Play-Station

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Playsation Ninentendo Combined Console is Amazing

All things being equal.. I'm glad the way things turned out

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: PlayStation Nintendo Combined Console is Amazing

It's simply amazing how much the gaming industry changed due to Nintendo dumping Sony and Ken Kutaragi being so pissed off and determined that he changed the Play Station SNES CD-Rom attachment to the actual PlayStation console.

Sony develops an extremely developer friendly console with far cheaper licensing fees due to it being disc based and goes 3D.

Sega develops the Saturn which was a pain in the *** to develop for due to it's dual processors plus it was a 2D based console which at the time was becoming obsolete.

Nintendo stays with cartridges with the Nintendo 64, loses the majority of their third party support to Sony including a devastating blow by SquareSoft which announces and shows off Final Fantasy VII for PlayStation.

Sony and Sega release their consoles in September 1995 and May 1995 respectively but the $400 price tag, no games, rushed launch, 2D based and developer unfriendly console basically did them in. Sony announces $300 and it was pretty much over for Sega and the Saturn which was a shame because in terms of RPG's, it definitely rivals SNES and PlayStation.

Sega releases the Sega Dreamcast which compared to the Saturn was the total and complete opposite and it had a lot of classics on it as well as some great exclusives.

Sony goes on to dominate with the PlayStation which in turn, leads to two major things -

First being the end of Sega as a console manufacturer as they eventually go third party and second, the introduction of the Xbox brand from Microsoft who entered the console business simply due to the success of Sony's PlayStation.

At the time, a newcomer (Sony) was beating Nintendo and Sega combined and pretty easily too. Microsoft thought that they could follow suit. The original Xbox didn't do much sales wise and was completely crushed and destroyed by PlayStation 2 as was Nintendo's GameCube.

But then, things changed slightly, Microsoft released Xbox 360 a full year ahead of PlayStation 3, was far easier to develop for and with the insane price tag of $600 for PlayStation 3 at launch, Microsoft became the leader by surpassing Sony's PlayStation brand.

Nintendo releases Wii and amazingly sells over 100m consoles based on a gimmick which they tried to evolve for Wii U but has failed miserably thus far and with their next console rumored to be shown at next year's E3, the Wii U has one foot in the grave and the other slipping.

In the end, it's simply amazing how everything turned out. One major company (Sega) died out while another has fallen to last place (Nintendo) while the two new players (Sony and Microsoft) are now the two main companies.

Definitely have to wonder how things would have gone if Nintendo didn't dump Sony.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Playsation Ninentendo Combined Console is Amazing

We would have gotten PlayStation Smash Bros All Stars.

This is not a test.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel77733
It's simply amazing how much the gaming industry changed due to Nintendo dumping Sony and Ken Kutaragi being so pissed off and determined that he changed the Play Station SNES CD-Rom attachment to the actual PlayStation console.

Sony develops an extremely developer friendly console with far cheaper licensing fees due to it being disc based and goes 3D.

Sega develops the Saturn which was a pain in the *** to develop for due to it's dual processors plus it was a 2D based console which at the time was becoming obsolete.

Nintendo stays with cartridges with the Nintendo 64, loses the majority of their third party support to Sony including a devastating blow by SquareSoft which announces and shows off Final Fantasy VII for PlayStation.

Sony and Sega release their consoles in September 1995 and May 1995 respectively but the $400 price tag, no games, rushed launch, 2D based and developer unfriendly console basically did them in. Sony announces $300 and it was pretty much over for Sega and the Saturn which was a shame because in terms of RPG's, it definitely rivals SNES and PlayStation.

Sega releases the Sega Dreamcast which compared to the Saturn was the total and complete opposite and it had a lot of classics on it as well as some great exclusives.

Sony goes on to dominate with the PlayStation which in turn, leads to two major things -

First being the end of Sega as a console manufacturer as they eventually go third party and second, the introduction of the Xbox brand from Microsoft who entered the console business simply due to the success of Sony's PlayStation.

At the time, a newcomer (Sony) was beating Nintendo and Sega combined and pretty easily too. Microsoft thought that they could follow suit. The original Xbox didn't do much sales wise and was completely crushed and destroyed by PlayStation 2 as was Nintendo's GameCube.

But then, things changed slightly, Microsoft released Xbox 360 a full year ahead of PlayStation 3, was far easier to develop for and with the insane price tag of $600 for PlayStation 3 at launch, Microsoft became the leader by surpassing Sony's PlayStation brand.

Nintendo releases Wii and amazingly sells over 100m consoles based on a gimmick which they tried to evolve for Wii U but has failed miserably thus far and with their next console rumored to be shown at next year's E3, the Wii U has one foot in the grave and the other slipping.

In the end, it's simply amazing how everything turned out. One major company (Sega) died out while another has fallen to last place (Nintendo) while the two new players (Sony and Microsoft) are now the two main companies.

Definitely have to wonder how things would have gone if Nintendo didn't dump Sony.
It's all really interesting! I recommend reading "Console Wars" by Blake Harris. Details the entire time Tom Kalinske was at Sega, the Genesis vs. Super Nintendo time....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
It's all really interesting! I recommend reading "Console Wars" by Blake Harris. Details the entire time Tom Kalinske was at Sega, the Genesis vs. Super Nintendo time....
Speaking of Tom Kalinske, I believe it was him to wanted to join forces with Sony after Nintendo dumped them but the higher ups over Tom said no. There could have been a Sony/Sega joint effort but it never happened.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel77733
Speaking of Tom Kalinske, I believe it was him to wanted to join forces with Sony after Nintendo dumped them but the higher ups over Tom said no. There could have been a Sony/Sega joint effort but it never happened.
Yep! I just read the book and he was trying to get Sega of Japan to work with Sony but they didn't end up wanting to....crazy to read about all of this stuff behind the scenes.

I remember almost buying the Sega 32x and Sega CD....got a PS1 instead, dodged a huge bullet lol
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Yep! I just read the book and he was trying to get Sega of Japan to work with Sony but they didn't end up wanting to....crazy to read about all of this stuff behind the scenes.

I remember almost buying the Sega 32x and Sega CD....got a PS1 instead, dodged a huge bullet lol
There you go. I didn't remember all the details but I was close. LOL.

I never owned a 32X but I did own a Sega Genesis CDX which is a Genesis/CD combo in one small unit. Must admit that console was very sweet. I bought that for two CD based games. Snatcher and Final Fight CD.

Sega released too many add-ons in too short of a time and then released Saturn which turned out to be a disaster.

Doubt that it's in that book but here's something few know about and while it's always been heavily rumored, I believe that there's some truth to it -

Before Sega went third party and was purchased by Sammy, there were rumors that they were going to be purchased by Nintendo and a deal was pretty much except for one small problem - Sega had a lot of debt at that time and wanted Nintendo to pay it off as part of the purchase but Nintendo refused and the deal fell through. A short time later, Sammy purchased Sega.

- If that was true, Nintendo should have paid off the debts simply because all of Sega's IP's would have in time made Nintendo get back all that money. Sadly, it never happened though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »