Home

Giving thanks: How did you get your start in gaming?

This is a discussion on Giving thanks: How did you get your start in gaming? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Giving thanks: How did you get your start in gaming?

My parents got me an Atari 2600 when I was around 10. We used to play Pac-Man all the time, and I'd beat up on my friends in Real Sports Football and Real Sports Baseball.

But this was the game that got most of the play time:

Old 11-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #18
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Jeremy what do your parents think of you still gaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that my mom is really just glad that I didn't get caught up in all of the pills and meth like a lot of my classmates and my own brother did. Instead I settled down with a good woman and have hobbies besides doing stuff like hanging out in bars all of the time.

Plus, we bought my mom and stepdad a kindle a few years ago and they mainly just use it for games. They eventually had to go buy another one because the other person hogged it too much, so they understand.

My opinion on the matter life is too short so just do whatever it is that you enjoy. As long as someone takes care of all of their adult responsibilities and doesn't put anyone else in danger with their hobbies, then I don't really care what they do. Whether that's playing Madden or Candy Crush, or watching sports/realty TV, working on cars, drinking with buddies, etc. Just take care of what you need to take care of and don't do anything to hurt anyone else and I'm good.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #19
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Coleco, Pong, and DOS gaming.

I don't think I was actually considered to be loving video games at that time, though. Once I got my SNES and SEGA Genesis, it all went downhill from there haha. So I'd like to thank them for providing me with those consoles and opportunities to play, even if I was only limited to playing on weekends (until college of course, heh).

But once I started going onto message boards around the PS2 days was when I started doing actual research and conversation about games. I guess that's when I was actually first considered a "gamer." I thank them for paying the Internet bill, I guess!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 11-19-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #20
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Yeah I pretty much had it all. Most if not all handhelds.. then DOS (Still remember first time playing a new free to play game called DOOM)...

Then added in consoles as they came along.
Still think that is why some of us(certainly me) have a hard time reading all the "Players look like crap EA!!!" posts etc.. when we came from stick men.

I remember the BBS and message boards I went too. etc..
AOL... Prodigy.. etc.. Which I never really got into a lot until I watched a movie called "War Games"
Still the main influence on my PC and really gaming nut I've become.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #21
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

The movie Hackers really got me heavily into PC. I remember in the 7th grade the IT guy at my school would load PC games on the school computers for us for a quarter. Remember playing Leisure Suit Larry, Drug Wars, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem.

Now back when I was in college, me and my friends basically would take over the ET lab. We use to run StarCraft, Commander & Conquer, Civilization and Age of Empires on the school's LAN. Use to be a dozen of us. IT director of the college never could figure out a way take keep us from doing that. Everything he tried, we instantly broke through his BS security.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #22
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12

My first was a system that had pong and skeet shooting. I though that was the coolest thing in the world. Until the Sears version of the Atari 2600!

But one great memory was going to the Museum of Science of and Industry, and going in their computer room and playing Karateka on their Apple 2 computers. I still love that game!

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005

Last edited by TheBadazz; 11-18-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #23
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas when I was 4. I got River Raid, Pac-Man, Astroids and Pitfall.

I remember playing River Raid with my Dad all day. When I got up for Christmas morning, the TV was on and Pac-Man playing. My parents spent all night Christmas eve setting up the Atari (literally took my Dad like 5 hours LOL). I never looked back, the Atari was my first gaming system and made such an impression on me. I remember playing so many great games on it as well like Empire Strikes Back, H.E.R.O, Yar's Revenge, Defender, Joust, Pole Position, Enduro, etc and so on.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Last edited by ExtremeGamer; 11-19-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

PONG - enough said on how long I have been gaming. But what really got me going fellas in gaming, this destination point we had back then called the "Arcade". Remember going with my 3 older brothers and playing games like my first arcade football experience. Table top football, only a track ball and X's and O's as players. That is why I have patience with sports games today, was just x and o's as players people, birds eye view ofcourse. just game and enjoy! !

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »