Home

Phantom Squad threatens to take down Xbox Live, PSN servers during the holiday season

This is a discussion on Phantom Squad threatens to take down Xbox Live, PSN servers during the holiday season within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #49
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Phantom Squad threatens to take down Xbox Live, PSN servers during the holiday se

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
"Your basement is susceptible to flooding, and you need to fix it before it gets worse. We will demonstrate this problem by setting fire to your living room during your birthday party." /Phantom Squad logic
That analogy doesn't work because a fire to the house has nothing in common to flooding.

It's more like your basement is susceptible to flooding so we will demonstrate this by busting a single pipe. Get it fixed or risk seeing all of the pipes burst on their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 12-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #50
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Phantom Squad threatens to take down Xbox Live, PSN servers during the holiday se

Working fine for me. Terrorists lose!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #51
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
That analogy doesn't work because a fire to the house has nothing in common to flooding.

It's more like your basement is susceptible to flooding so we will demonstrate this by busting a single pipe. Get it fixed or risk seeing all of the pipes burst on their own.

It does because flooding a server with hits isnt the same as hacking in and stealing data...security for a ddos is different than actual login security

You can put a lock on your front door that keeps people out...so we will just constantly knock on it so nobody who has a key to get in can get through to the door.

Last edited by joet6683; 12-25-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #52
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet6683
It does because flooding a server with hits isnt the same as hacking in and stealing data...security for a ddos is different than actual login security

You can put a lock on your front door that keeps people out...so we will just constantly knock on it so nobody who has a key to get in can get through to the door.
Why would anyone knocking stop people from getting into the door? The analogies here are completely without logic.

You're still considering the actual action and not the message.

Only a malicious person would light a house on fire to send the message to fix your pipes.

This group isn't lighting the house on fire, they are busting a single pipe. An insignificant pipe in the grand scheme of things. A pipe that causes drama and a problem for those living in the basement. Some anger as well for the basement tenants. But in the end only a message that there is a greater issue that could be exposed by someone malicious.

You can argue that busting one pipe isn't the same as waiting for the entire water system to break but you'd be placing the blame on the act instead of the complete issue. By busting one pipe I'm reminding you that you have a bigger issue to combat.

Is busting the pipe right? No. Not all good intentions are morally good. Regardless if I was the type to feel that the landlord doesn't respond to issues without having their hand forced, I would opt for busting a pipe to anger the basement tenants so the landlord gets to fixing the entire water system.

"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 12-25-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #53
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet6683

I think the analogy you're going for is you can put a lock on your front door but we will send thousands of people there to break open the lock and flood through your door and fill your living room so you can't fit inside and use the PS4 you keep inside.

Now, there are also very valuable things inside this home including a safe with a padlock. We aren't going to break into that safe but you should know that if you don't have a stronger lock to your front door then it's likely you don't have a very strong lock for your safe.

You should do something about that because if we wanted to break into your safe, we could. We won't but who is to say someone else would not once they are inside your home?

So get a better lock for your front door and also do something about your safe like get an advanced lock system. Padlocks are amateur hour.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I completely disagree CMH! First DDOS attacks are simply a flooding of the server bank until it cant maintain the amount of traffic. That is completely different in every regard than penetrating the network to steal credit card information like you said. So to compare these two as if they are helping all of us is silly. Maybe if they hacked into Sony and stole just the first name of every person would this be deemed non-malicious, but helpful showing security is weak.

Since analogies have been a theme, someone standing blocking the door to the play ground does not make me any safer because if I went in that play ground "I could possibly get hurt". Who are you to decide what is safe/unsafe for me?!? If i choose to use Sonys system and my information gets stolen, i'm looking at Sony for answers and compensation, not Phantom squad as if they were the saving light that tried.

They should go to jail period end of story. They want notoriety not to help the world. Jail them with a big man who will show them how lax their "back door security" is!!!

Sent from da lil phone.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #55
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I completely disagree CMH! First DDOS attacks are simply a flooding of the server bank until it cant maintain the amount of traffic. That is completely different in every regard than penetrating the network to steal credit card information like you said. So to compare these two as if they are helping all of us is silly. Maybe if they hacked into Sony and stole just the first name of every person would this be deemed non-malicious, but helpful showing security is weak.

Since analogies have been a theme, someone standing blocking the door to the play ground does not make me any safer because if I went in that play ground "I could possibly get hurt". Who are you to decide what is safe/unsafe for me?!? If i choose to use Sonys system and my information gets stolen, i'm looking at Sony for answers and compensation, not Phantom squad as if they were the saving light that tried.

They should go to jail period end of story. They want notoriety not to help the world. Jail them with a big man who will show them how lax their "back door security" is!!!

Sent from da lil phone.
I'm not suggesting the group not be held to some legal action. I definitely agree their actions aren't morally just. I think their intentions are good but that's like saying killing a serial killer is morally right. Good intentions but not legally or morally ethical.

They said it themselves they are sending a message that Sony and Microsoft need to improve their security, so I'm not sure why there's any argument against that.

Again, you guys are upset with the action but ignoring the message being made. I'll leave it at that. I understand why my position on this is the minority one and I'm not going to convince anyone to understand what the group is attempting.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #56
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Because it is bull****. That's why. There is no message here other than "look at meeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!" If I come smash up your car with a sledge and lay a banner with my name on it, that's not going to make you say "oh man, I better get an RFID blocking wallet so people can't scan it in the crowded mall.". It's asinine. No message is going to get through to anyone if you just scream your name in people's ear.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »