Home

Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

This is a discussion on Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I think I may have a mild social anxiety when it comes to people I don't know or at least have not spoken to before. Maybe I don't and most people are like me but I do know that my mom said when I was young and people would come over I would hide behind the couch until they left LOL. Even if they played with my toys I'd stay put and not come out. Of course this was when I was a toddler so maybe that's fairly normal behavior, I don't know.

But honestly one reason I originally began drinking alcohol when I'd play online games is because I felt a bit anxious about chatting with folks. Naturally, that goes away when one drinks and it makes it easy to chat. However, I don't drink as often as I used to and really want to overcome using that as a crutch.

I am always a bit disappointed/relieved when someone says they cannot chat in a game like Madden, even if its someone I have spoken to before, unless its one of my close online friends who I've played with many, many times.

As I said above though, I really want to break out of my shell and start talking to folks (from OS especially) and get to know some people and it'll get easier.
I hated talking to randoms, but people on OS (Shawn, Clay, TJ, ExtremeGamer, etc) I got to be friendly with and it was awesome...we could just chat sports and have fun.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I hated talking to randoms, but people on OS (Shawn, Clay, TJ, ExtremeGamer, etc) I got to be friendly with and it was awesome...we could just chat sports and have fun.
Have we chatted online before? Are we friends on Xbox? I'm Catch22 on there.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 02-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Have we chatted online before? Are we friends on Xbox? I'm Catch22 on there.
I'll add you...I'm sure we played some NCAA or Madden back when I played sports games more....

I haven't really been consistent gaming anymore, my kid takes up too much time lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
CC
MVP

CC's Arena

OVR: 23

I am a fairly social person but I don't chat with people online unless it is necessary to "help the team" or its with people I know interactively or personally.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
I think I may have a mild social anxiety when it comes to people I don't know or at least have not spoken to before.
I sometimes wonder the same thing about myself. My mom is always telling me how I was always the observer...watching all the other kids play for a while first before trying to insert myself. I think I've carried it with me into adulthood.

Part of it for me is that I play so many different games that I'm just not great at any of them so I'd rather just play offline where I don't feel judged by my opponent. Another part is kinda what JareBear was saying...it just feels weird. Kinda like dialing a random phone number and expecting to have a great conversation with whoever picks up the line.

I recently bought the PS Gold headset to have a mic handy if I need one but just don't see myself using it much.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

I do party chats, but otherwise it depends on the game. I usually use my headset on Forza, but I never use it in FIFA or NBA...wayyyy too many annoying little kids.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
Another part is kinda what JareBear was saying...it just feels weird. Kinda like dialing a random phone number and expecting to have a great conversation with whoever picks up the line.
That's the best description of it I've heard yet, nailed it I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHardaway
I do party chats, but otherwise it depends on the game. I usually use my headset on Forza, but I never use it in FIFA or NBA...wayyyy too many annoying little kids.
I love listening to others (but not speaking) in group sports games, mostly FIFA, because it's hilarious usually, but I quit speaking in FIFA because when they find out you're American they boot you usually.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 12

I don't chat because most gamers are young punks plus I'm old enough to be their dad or grandpop. The other reason is cause I suck at most video games now and don't want to hear anyone's crap! Lol....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »