Home

Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

This is a discussion on Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

Back in the day, like original Xbox days, I used to chat with randoms. I would put my mic on, play some Rainbow Six 3, chat with those on my teams. Made a few friends doing that whom I played with very often. That was around 2003/2004, I was about 21 at the time. Was always ok with it.

I dont know if people have changed, more people play, or I am just older...but I find randoms to be annoying. I have never played with anyone from OS so I can't comment on chatting with someone you have arranged to play with, but as far as playing a game online myself, even in a team game, I leave the chat off.

Nowadays the only chat I do is when in a party and playing with people I know.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
W* B*ck!!

Scoop 24's Arena

OVR: 24

I use it for party chats mostly or to hear the game when my girl and newborn are sleep .. Other than that I have no other use for it . Don't really speak to randoms cause I'm usually in a party with friends anyway. And Although everyone isnt a complete ******* . These days I'll pass on the excessive cursing and racial slurs or just unessacary pointless banter a lot randoms bring to the table . Met some cool people in my younger days these days I don't have the patience for it..
MLB: New York Yankees
Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #19
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

My wife has said she'd leave me if she came home and I was wearing a headset and talking to people while gaming. I think she was kidding ...

I tried using a mic back in the day, but it never felt like a normal conversation, since I was focusing more on the games I was playing.

I don't play any games online anymore, so no reason for me to chat. I get why people do it, but it's never appealed to me.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #20
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

As my RL friends fractured this generation (between PS4, Xbox One and none of the above) we don't play on our consoles and as a result I've yet to use a headset in games.

I've done a little bit of chatting via the Kinect but I've even disabled that now too.

Compared to last gen I'm just not on the consoles as much and gaming sessions are a bit more fleeting. Last gen we were playing multiplayer on PS3 and using Xbox Live to chat, lol.

Still on Vent every night playing Diablo w/ some friends though. Console tendencies changed as my circle of friends habits' changed also.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #21
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

I always use the headset when I'm gaming on Xbox live. I wish more people would for teamwork purposes. For idiots I use the mute feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Playing games like GTA, Battlefield or sports games if you're playing as a team, then I think you almost have to use a headset. Other than that if you playing against someone (like in Madden for example) it doesn't really matter to me. Sometimes I do find chatting distracting though.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Playing games like GTA, Battlefield or sports games if you're playing as a team, then I think you almost have to use a headset. Other than that if you playing against someone (like in Madden for example) it doesn't really matter to me. Sometimes I do find chatting distracting though.
Some sports games like FIFA and Rocket League though do require coordination. Usually that's me screaming at folks "who is going to get back and defend???!" while they all run downfield chasing the ball like idiots and I'm the only one left to defend the goal.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 02-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Pro

JoshCA916's Arena

OVR: 17

What's weird is I didn't really get a gaming headset until about 13 months ago. I would have a Bluetooth on the PS3 to talk to friends here and there. Now I have a pretty sized down group of guys I play with and playing siege has really gotten me into wearing the headset about 95% of the time I am gaming. I will say I don't really like talking unless I am with a group I know. Often if we are running a team of 3 or 4 in Siege and the 1or 2 randoms will have mics and my buddies are like let's go to game chat. I usually say no I am good I don't like people anyway and I don't need new friends. I rarely ever bring anyone new to our group my buddies do and I will usually avoid talking to that new person unless I have a question directed at me.

Honestly I think my life experiences have made me this way with people in general. Been hurt and betrayed by so many people who were supposed to be close with me. So my defensive nature is just to not like people until they have proven that I can get along with them enough to at least have a conversation. No I don't think I am better then people but giving them a chance off the top is not something I prefer to do.

In the end I do talk a lot more now even to randoms. But really can you blame me for not wanting to talk to all the young, immature, and ignorant people who game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »