Home

Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

This is a discussion on Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Icon6 Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

I started this topic because I see a lot of people in the Division thread saying they don't want to play with others and they'd rather just play as a lone wolf. I recently bought a new headset (Astro A50's) and have begun using them while playing with some folks from OS and other folks I know from, well real life, and I have noticed that some folks do not really like to talk on the microphone at all.

I've seen this before running NCAA and Madden leagues. And I've experienced it myself as well, I generally do not like to chat with people I don't know (but how the hell are you ever really going to get to know them without chatting??).

It got me thinking, do some of you not like using the microphone and chatting with people such as folks from OS because it's weird chatting with people you really don't know?

I don't mean chatting with randoms so much, as I understand why that can be frustrating with the idiots out there, but I mean just chatting online period with people you may know from OS but not know in person from your daily life. Is it just too weird to really want to engage in?

Is this why so many people don't use microphones in games that would seemingly benefit from it like Rainbow Six Siege?

Do you have a headset and, if so, do you use it to chat? Do you like to be social when you play? What are your thoughts on just chatting up a complete stranger in a game like The Division?

I will say for me sometimes it is just the mental effort to engage and it's easier to just play without a mic at all...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

I like this post, it's a good question and I have some personal experience with all this.

I bought a headset for the first time years ago to chat with my NCAA 11 OD members during games and it never happened. Everytime I would start booting up I would feel weird and disconnect the mic. For some reason I just felt kind of awkward when I thought about chatting with someone I was playing against. I never used a chat party on Live or PSN until Rocket League came out and it forced me to get over my "fear" of chatting real fast.

I wish I could pinpoint why exactly I felt so weird about chatting but maybe it is a combo of factors. I am somewhat shy, and I grew up with a bit of a speech impediment/issue and that contributed to the shyness/quietness as a kid/young adult. In my head I would be like "what if there is awkward silence, what if I say something stupid, make a bad joke, sound awkward, etc." I still struggle a little bit. In group settings I can use a mic freely, I still won't use one in a 1v1 situation like Madden. It sucks because if I chatted during Madden I would probably get less agro during intense games and have more fun talking about the game as its happening but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I definitely want to use my mic more and more as I go one and hope to get over the shyness/weirdness I feel about chatting with people during games as I feel some games really could benefit from it.

When Division comes out my group and I are going to have to decide if we want to stick with party chat or use in-game chat so we can chat with other groups in proximity.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Cool Re: Using the headset for chat in games, yay or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I like this post, it's a good question and I have some personal experience with all this.

I bought a headset for the first time years ago to chat with my NCAA 11 OD members during games and it never happened. Everytime I would start booting up I would feel weird and disconnect the mic. For some reason I just felt kind of awkward when I thought about chatting with someone I was playing against. I never used a chat party on Live or PSN until Rocket League came out and it forced me to get over my "fear" of chatting real fast.

I wish I could pinpoint why exactly I felt so weird about chatting but maybe it is a combo of factors. I am somewhat shy, and I grew up with a bit of a speech impediment/issue and that contributed to the shyness/quietness as a kid/young adult. In my head I would be like "what if there is awkward silence, what if I say something stupid, make a bad joke, sound awkward, etc." I still struggle a little bit. In group settings I can use a mic freely, I still won't use one in a 1v1 situation like Madden. It sucks because if I chatted during Madden I would probably get less agro during intense games and have more fun talking about the game as its happening but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I definitely want to use my mic more and more as I go one and hope to get over the shyness/weirdness I feel about chatting with people during games as I feel some games really could benefit from it.

When Division comes out my group and I are going to have to decide if we want to stick with party chat or use in-game chat so we can chat with other groups in proximity.
Thanks for replying! I feel the same way. It's a lot easier like in a group setting to chime in because there isn't that awkward silence as you say...but in a game like Madden it's particularly strange, especially if the person you're playing is strange.

I had one guy yell SCOOOREBOARD everytime I said anything once in Madden, LOL. I'd be like "so where you from?" and he'd sing-songy go "SCOOOORREEBOARD" and the stupidest thing was he'd do it even when he was LOSING!

I too want to get over this "fear" of chatting one on one and use the mic more, for now I typically only use it much when I'm drinking alcohol as I guess it's the liquid courage. I chat up a storm then but there's no nervousness and silence is just who cares?

Are we friends on PS4? If not, definitely add me and maybe sometime we could play some games together and actually use a mic! My nick is OS_ODogg on there...

Hope some other fellas have some input as well on this as I've wondered about this for a long time and if it was just me. At least I know there is at least one other person out there with the same issues as I seem to have.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Come on you lurkers! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 27

I enjoy chatting on the headset in party chats. Mostly just with guys from OS. Been a lot of times with a bunch of us on playing GTA V or Rocket League. Myself, CoffeyN, 55, Kramer5150, 42, ExtremeGamer, Boltman and jb12780 party chat quite a bit. Always a good time with a lot of laughs.

I guess it can be awkward when someone new joins the chats but like was said, can't get to know someone without chatting.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited by PhilliesFan13; 02-02-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I used to chat with OS'ers, but now if i'm even in a online game I don't chat much cause it's usually late at night and i'm being quiet....my life's changed a lot, but that means more I don't play the online heavy games, more of a offlien gamer now.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

I think I may have a mild social anxiety when it comes to people I don't know or at least have not spoken to before. Maybe I don't and most people are like me but I do know that my mom said when I was young and people would come over I would hide behind the couch until they left LOL. Even if they played with my toys I'd stay put and not come out. Of course this was when I was a toddler so maybe that's fairly normal behavior, I don't know.

But honestly one reason I originally began drinking alcohol when I'd play online games is because I felt a bit anxious about chatting with folks. Naturally, that goes away when one drinks and it makes it easy to chat. However, I don't drink as often as I used to and really want to overcome using that as a crutch.

I am always a bit disappointed/relieved when someone says they cannot chat in a game like Madden, even if its someone I have spoken to before, unless its one of my close online friends who I've played with many, many times.

As I said above though, I really want to break out of my shell and start talking to folks (from OS especially) and get to know some people and it'll get easier.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I think I may have a mild social anxiety when it comes to people I don't know or at least have not spoken to before. Maybe I don't and most people are like me but I do know that my mom said when I was young and people would come over I would hide behind the couch until they left LOL. Even if they played with my toys I'd stay put and not come out. Of course this was when I was a toddler so maybe that's fairly normal behavior, I don't know.

But honestly one reason I originally began drinking alcohol when I'd play online games is because I felt a bit anxious about chatting with folks. Naturally, that goes away when one drinks and it makes it easy to chat. However, I don't drink as often as I used to and really want to overcome using that as a crutch.

I am always a bit disappointed/relieved when someone says they cannot chat in a game like Madden, even if its someone I have spoken to before, unless its one of my close online friends who I've played with many, many times.

As I said above though, I really want to break out of my shell and start talking to folks (from OS especially) and get to know some people and it'll get easier.
I'm also like this outside of playing with friends. Most of the people I use to play COD against I wouldn't want to talk to anyway .

PSN: BigGreenZaku

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »