Home

I have a confession to make: I don't finish games..

This is a discussion on I have a confession to make: I don't finish games.. within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 PM   #177
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: I have a confession to make: I don't finish games..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Games aren't as fun as they used to be and get boring fast. This is the reason I have not finished Assassins Creed Odyssey and have no desire to do so. It's not fun, it's a grindy, repetitive and annoying game.

While it's a very good looking game, the style of game they turned it into is just not fun for me. They tried to outdo the Witcher and failed.
Rarely do I not have fun with a game that im playing. It has to be either bad or just not grabbing me which in that case, I quit it. I finished ACO in 192 hours or so 100%. I fully enjoyed the game. It obviously doesn't outdo The Witcher 3 but at the same time, nothing has and ACO isn't really meant to.

I don't believe that it's grindy at all especially since they released a patch that allows you to turn off the enemy scaling which was the main reason why some felt it was grindy as Origins didn't have this problem at launch. Definitely don't believe that it's annoying either and as for it being repetitive, EVERY game is repetitive including The Witcher 3. It simply comes down to "are you enjoying what you're doing to keep doing it over and over until you finish the game?". If not, then you should definitely just move on to a different game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
For some reason, I like Bethesda games. As good as RDR2 is, I’ve never cared for the Rockstar model. I’ve been play Fallout and Rage (BC on XB1X) today.
I have become a huge fan of Bethesda this generation but not when it comes to Bethesda Game Studios itself. Tango Gameworks (The Evil Within 1 and 2), Machine Games (Wolfenstein series), Id Software (Doom) and Arkane Studios (even though im not into Dishonored or Prey) have simply developed better games this generation.

I played Rage last year the same way as you are now and really enjoyed the game. I only played it because watching the Rage 2 trailer last year before E3 and the second trailer at Bethesda's E3 showcase made me super hyped for the sequel so I looked into the original and it was great. Loved the shooting mechanics, enemy AI with them jumping, dodging, etc. and the world itself. Story and characters were okay but everything else was better in my opinion. I actually bought the game for $20 and it was well worth the price.

There's a bunch of new previews with some new footage but all identical as it was from Bethesda out today on various websites and youtube channels. I'm definitely hyped for the game.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #178
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
It simply comes down to "are you enjoying what you're doing to keep doing it over and over until you finish the game?". If not, then you should definitely just move on to a different game.
It's funny that I never actually thought of it that way--sometimes the repetitious nature of games doesn't really sink in consciously with me. But I suppose I enjoy doing the same thing over and over if it's something I like, so it's all good.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #179
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I dont finish the great majority of 'em anymore. Here's the thing: I ain't as good as I once was, but I am good once as I ever was.

A Work in Progress
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 AM   #180
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXInfectedXx
It's funny that I never actually thought of it that way--sometimes the repetitious nature of games doesn't really sink in consciously with me. But I suppose I enjoy doing the same thing over and over if it's something I like, so it's all good.
Every game has a "gameplay loop" and once you do it a few times, it can become repetitive. For me, it has more to do with the activity or objective than anything else. For example, I love outposts and forts in games like AC and Far Cry so doing 20 or 30 of them isn't repetitive for me simply because im enjoying them but in general, it is.

For example, right now im playing through Detroit which I started this past Wednesday. I have 7 missions left in the game. Now, if this was an AC or FC game, it would have been completed already but because Detroit is very slow paced, story and character driven and the gameplay is choice and consequence based, I need time in between playing sessions. Game itself is great and I will most likely give it an 8/10 when I complete it but it's more of an experience and I have never completed a game from Quantic Dream so I figure, why not complete the best one?

It's more of Detroit not being my type of game. This is only the third game that I have ever played which is setup like this. The other two being the first season The Walking Dead from Telltale and Until Dawn from Supermassive. Both of those were a 7/10 for me and in general, don't even get me started with TWD being 2012 game of the year. Just WTF? Far Cry 3? SMH.

Unless you're really into these types of games, they do get boring and dull very quickly simply because there's no "action" going on. Don't get me wrong, Detroit is a gorgeous looking game, the animations especially facials are insane. The world is beautiful and detailed. The story, characters and writing is all top notch. I would easily put Detroit as simply the best choice and consequence game out there but gameplay wise, for me, it simply doesn't hold my attention for hours on end. Don't think that I have played a session for longer than 4 hours and im someone who can easily play double and triple that in a day.

Of course, in fairness to Detroit, it's a backlogged stopgap game as im wasting time until Far Cry New Dawn and Metro Exodus on Thursday night. Add in me playing the Devil May Cry 5 demo and clearing out some shows on Netflix and yeah, game is taking me longer than expected but I will say that skipping a day like I did today and then going back to it tomorrow does make me enjoy the game more than playing straight.

I rarely if ever not finish a game. The last game was State of Decay 2 which I quit after 15 hours. Way too many negatives and issues for me so I said, screw it, game is done. Oh well.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #181
Rookie

OVR: 3

You'd be surprised how quickly I move on from a game, let alone finish it. When I find a game I do like/love, I'm pretty good about finishing it.

However, it's pretty appalling how quickly I'll junk a game and move on.

Tried Far Cry Primal for 3 hours. Didn't like the "look" of it. Delete.

Tried Assassins Creed II for 3 hours. Can you ever just roam around without the guards hunting you? Idk, but it got annoying. Delete.

Dark Souls game(s) - I'm going to die this often? It's going to take me how long to beat just this one guy?! Delete.

I know what I'm "getting into" with each of these games and more, but I feel like I owe it to most to give them a fair shake, but wow, I will move on quick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #182
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry422
Dark Souls game(s) - I'm going to die this often? It's going to take me how long to beat just this one guy?! Delete.

True story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »