Home

Sony releases first new details of the next PS PS5

This is a discussion on Sony releases first new details of the next PS PS5 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Sony releases first new details of the next PS PS5

I bought the PS4 at launch mostly for MLB The Show. That franchise has become stale in my opinion and I have skipped over it the last two years now. Outside of that I played GTA V and RDR2 on my PS4 and not much more. It's basically become a Netflix machine. For the first time since the N64 I won't be getting a console at launch. The only thing that will make me buy a console will be GTA VI and even then I may just wait it out for the PC release.

I've more or less become a PC gamer who has no need for a console anymore. The PS exclusives are not worth it in my eyes.

― Plato
Old 04-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #74
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Cost of tech goes down not up. Just look at how much less a good television costs today as opposed to 10 years ago.They make money on the software not the hardware. When video games were on expensive cartridges you could expect to pay $50 for a title. I can remember the discussion that games would be cheaper once they hit CD. Didn't happen. Now available digitally they should be even less but they aren't. The production costs may be higher but I don't cry for the hardware manufacturers in this space. They more than make it up on software.

I imagine one day there will be one console.
I think it depends on if you are talking about more up-to-date tech or not when it comes price and it being like cheaper. But my point is I fell like people are to obsessed with 400 price to much and I think 500 would be fine and with ps4 being BC a lot of people could save a few by trading it in towards the ps5 and I known we dont known a lot yet about ps5 specs over all but from what we do known I think it may have to high of tech to do 400. Yes I known you dont really make money on hardware that was my point that I think they could release at 500 with taking a lose of 100 with it costing 600 to make and than make back that money and make a profit from games, controllers, psn+ etc. Maybe in a year or so that cost of 600 for making the hardware would drop a little bit to.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #75
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat_Fan
The economy had little/nothing to do with the PS3 stumbling out of the gate. The economy nearly collapsed mid/late in 2008 and the PS3 was released in late 2006.

Sony's problem was that they got arrogant coming off the success of the Playstation and Playstation 2. The price was a little concerning at $599 but Sony thought "hey if we sell it, we know you'll buy it".

And Sony was way off base. Why? Because developers were having a tough time with the Cell Processor. The only game worthy of really mentioning at launch that was ready was Ridge Racer and that was already on the Xbox 360 sold as Ridge Racer 6. Ken Kutaguri was quoted as saying that he compared the Playstation 3 to a fine steak dinner and the Playstation 3 would sell itself even if you didn't buy a game.

Sony also sent out mixed signals because they couldn't properly label the PS3 whether it was a videogame console or a computer or a dedicated Bluray player or a Linux computer if you didn't want to play games or watch movies. It became a jack of all trades box. Then Sony's controller didn't have rumble because they didn't want to pay Immersion's royalty fees so Sony tried to sell us on the fact that rumble was outdated tech and that's why they didn't use it.

Meanwhile Microsoft had a dedicated game console that had a micro-transaction store where you could buy DLC or games. It also was the first to offer "achievements", something Sony later copied.

The Xbox 360 controller was better all the way around as it was wireless, it had rumble and was ergonomically superior to the Playstation controller. Multiplatform games on the Xbox 360 looked and performed better as it was the lead platform. It also had Gears of War and several other exclusives that made it a system seller.

So no, I disagree that the economy and price hurt the PS3 out of the gate. There were a host of problems Sony inflicted on itself before the PS3 was ever sold.
The ps3 came out in late 2006 and right around 2007 economy started to go down hill so yes it did play a factor for sure. In mid late 2008 was like when it reached its worse but even like right around 2007 so still during like ps3 first full year it was already starting to do bad. Yes ps2 went to there heads. That is my point because of the chip Sony used Multiplatform games looked and played better for about the first 2 years on xbox. Than after that developers started to figure out the chip and Multiplatform games started to look and perform the same. So again there was a lot more to it than just 600 that caused issues for Sony.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #76
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I bought the PS4 at launch mostly for MLB The Show. That franchise has become stale in my opinion and I have skipped over it the last two years now. Outside of that I played GTA V and RDR2 on my PS4 and not much more. It's basically become a Netflix machine. For the first time since the N64 I won't be getting a console at launch. The only thing that will make me buy a console will be GTA VI and even then I may just wait it out for the PC release.

I've more or less become a PC gamer who has no need for a console anymore. The PS exclusives are not worth it in my eyes.
Cant imagine not being able to play games like spiderman, ratchet and clank, Horizon to name a few and just about all of those are system sellers by them selfs and than you add them all up together. Also switch not being able to play games like Zelda, splatoon, Mario etc. I just cant imagine only playing on pc but that is just me. So many things play netflix to my tv does but I dont use Netflix has I dont have enough time can hardly keep up with sports at times my number 1 love with working and school and home work and such. When I do have free time and not watching sports its playing video games.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:45 AM   #77
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
No thanks. The least amount of boxes I need hooked up the better as far as I’m concerned. Not to mention we are getting better versions of the older games because of BC like someone already mentioned above.
Yeah if you can trade boxes in that saves you money, space to store them and also dont have to hook and unhook things all the time. My tv only has 4 inputs all HDMI. I have a ps3, ps4, SNES, gamecube, wii u, switch, cable box, 4k player, soundbar. The older stuff I have converter so I can use HDMI to play it. That is 9 things and only 4 inputs. If ps5 can play 4k movies I could than get rid of my 4k player and also my ps4 and now have 8 things to plug in once ps5 comes out instead of 10 things, and if by some chance it can play ps3 games, and 4k movies than I could have only 7 things to have to plug in. That means less often having to unplug and replug stuff in.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #78
All Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU0V5OcHE_4
Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #79
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
The ps3 came out in late 2006 and right around 2007 economy started to go down hill so yes it did play a factor for sure. In mid late 2008 was like when it reached its worse but even like right around 2007 so still during like ps3 first full year it was already starting to do bad. Yes ps2 went to there heads. That is my point because of the chip Sony used Multiplatform games looked and played better for about the first 2 years on xbox. Than after that developers started to figure out the chip and Multiplatform games started to look and perform the same. So again there was a lot more to it than just 600 that caused issues for Sony.
Economy only played a role in how long last generation actually lasted which was 8 years for Microsoft and 7 for Sony.

The multi-platform games always looked and played better on Xbox 360. The ego, price and cell processor (which is still causing them problems 13 years later) hurt Sony and PS3. It wasn't until the Slim model in September 2009 and a $300 price tag in which PS3 finally started to hit on all cylinders. It didn't hurt that it had Uncharted 2 a month later.

The main difference is that Microsoft and Xbox 360 started out very strong but got weaker as it got near the end of the life cycle where as Sony started out very weak but got stronger at the end. When you release TLOU five months before your next gen console and it not only wins GOTY but for many including myself is GOTG, how can you not be excited for the future at that time?

Some say that PS3 ended up outselling Xbox 360 by around 2M but others say, it's the opposite. Either way, it's impressive considering the disaster of the reveal and launch that PS3 had.

Of course, that was then and this is now. I'm looking forward to reading more information on PS5 later this year or early next year as im still surprised that mentioned it at all but it was a brilliant move because they said a lot despite saying very little.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Cant imagine not being able to play games like spiderman, ratchet and clank, Horizon to name a few and just about all of those are system sellers by them selfs and than you add them all up together. Also switch not being able to play games like Zelda, splatoon, Mario etc. I just cant imagine only playing on pc but that is just me. So many things play netflix to my tv does but I dont use Netflix has I dont have enough time can hardly keep up with sports at times my number 1 love with working and school and home work and such. When I do have free time and not watching sports its playing video games.

I simply have no desire to play those games so it is easier for me to not buy a console. If I really wanted to play exclusives like that I would be staying with consoles, but they don't interest me enough to stick around.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »