Home

How many of you have put $5 down on a preorder and forgotten about it?

This is a discussion on How many of you have put $5 down on a preorder and forgotten about it? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: How many of you have put $5 down on a preorder and forgotten about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
I always thought GameStop called you to let you know your reserved game was in and ready for pickup.

I think they're supposed to but don't always do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I haven't, but I thought after some time they would just cancel it and refund you? For example, if I order an item to pick up in-store at Best Buy and I don't pick it up, they just cancel your order and refund you in that scenario. Maybe pre-orders are the same?

Anyway, a bit unrelated, but if your forgetfulness is a matter of pre-ordering something too far in advance, I provided a cautionary tale about my RDR 2 pre-order experience with a debit card that was due to expire between the order and the game's release date (and it's not like I only plopped $5 down, I had paid it in full). I don't know if it was just a Best Buy thing, though.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I haven't, but I thought after some time they would just cancel it and refund you? For example, if I order an item to pick up in-store at Best Buy and I don't pick it up, they just cancel your order and refund you in that scenario. Maybe pre-orders are the same?

Anyway, a bit unrelated, but if your forgetfulness is a matter of pre-ordering something too far in advance, I provided a cautionary tale about my RDR 2 pre-order experience with a debit card that was due to expire between the order and the game's release date (and it's not like I only plopped $5 down, I had paid it in full). I don't know if it was just a Best Buy thing, though.
Well gamestop never does refund it until you ask them to. I say that because I recall one year I preordered Madden with $5 and then I ended up getting it early and forgot all about it until nearly a year later I was cleaning out my wallet and found the receipt. Went back in and transferred the $5 to another game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 8

Regarding the belief that gamestop employees are supposed to not tell someone if they have an old reservation. It's been 10+ years since I worked at gamestop, but unless things have changed there isn't some directive to withhold information about unclaimed reservations. IIRC when give your phone number for your account if you have any unclaimed reservations then a message will pop up for the employee to let them know about the unclaimed reserve and they can't continue until they click "yes"/"no" that the person is picking up the game. Plus (again this information is 10 years old at this point) the two most important metrics for a store are daily game reservations and powerup rewards subscriptions. If you tell someone they have some old reservation there is a chance you can get them to pick up that game and "roll $5 onto another reservation". There may have also been some metrics around number of reservations which were completed for purpose (I don't recall for sure). Either way it's counter productive for a store manager to tell his employees to try and keep reserves unclaimed. Also, from an accounting perspective those reservations are a liability until the purchase is completed, even if they do result in some nominal cash increase.

Regarding the thread topic. I've definitely done this before. I used to do a lot of reservations back in HS/College, and there were a couple of times where I forgot about them. The next time I made a trip to the store I found out about them though and usually just applied that $5 to whatever I was buying at the time since I obviously wasn't excited enough about the reserved game to keep up with the release of it.

Last edited by KSUowls; 09-03-2019 at 11:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »