Home

New PlayStation 5 Details Revealed, Arrives Next Holiday Season

This is a discussion on New PlayStation 5 Details Revealed, Arrives Next Holiday Season within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #281
All Star

OVR: 0
Re: New PlayStation 5 Details Revealed, Arrives Next Holiday Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I can agree with that. Sony set themselves for a strong pre-launch year. Which kind of makes them be cautious with how they promote the PS5. They don't want to overshadow other 1st party releases. It doesn't feel like the PS2 and PS3 era, where we hit that wall within the last 2 years. But with this generation, I don't think we hit that wall yet.

It feels like Sony wants to win that price advantage. Xbox is taking the long term approach. But Sony seems wants to be able to dominate the sales. If Sony wants to win the price war, then $449.99 might be the best option. I don't see Series X under $500 at all. At $450, Sony would break even on every console sold. Only thing is than $449, feels like a odd number for a launch console.

I hope they don't wait too much longer to reveal info. I get that they want to wait until they get the price set before revealing any concrete details. But by now, most of the components are set by now. So any info would be great. Besides the CES event with Logo, Sony has been radio silent since the second Wire article
You know i am starting to get to the point were i wish we had zero news about ps5 and had not gotten the wire articles. Let me explain why i say that. Back with ps4 we got reveal on feb 20th and we were told future of Sony thing a few weeks before that to let us now feb 20th was going to give us ps4 news. Then after that we only had to wait about 4 months to get e3 and get more news. We then only had to wait to November that year for it to come out so like another 5 months. That means it was about 9 months from first ps4 news to release date. Now compare that to ps5 we got are first news about it in a Wire article in April 2019. Now we are in feb 2020 so around 8 month later and basically still know very little compared to ps4, and the 4 month gap + over all ps4 first news we got way more then we know right now about ps5 after 2 things. I known there was a second article but it still didn't tell us much more. Also Sony is not going to e3. So not only do we not known much but we don't even really known when we can expect more news were with ps4 we knew e3 after the feb reveal. Last like i said first ps4 news to release was about 9 months. If ps5 comes out in October you are talking about a year and a half from the wire article to release. Point it i think getting the wired article has just made things worse and i think Sony should have waited longer to say any thing about ps5 if we were going to have this long of a wait with basically no news.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #282
All Star

I really don't see Sony doing a pro again. I think the only reason ps4 did a pro was because of 4k and 8k is to far of from being main stream for people even buying the tv and even more so for being able to make a console that can do 8k that don't cost like 1000. I except games to mostly be 30 fps again. Its not really about the power its the fact that graphics sale more then a game being 60 rather then 30 fps. So developers are going to push for better graphics then fps to be higher. So yeah really no reason for a ps5 pro. By ps6 maybe we could see 8k but even then that might be more like middle of ps6. So then maybe there would be a reason to do a ps6 pro. I known Microsoft and the whole like mid gen upgrade/having a more powerful more expensive thing and a cheaper less powerful one is what they seem to be doing but i don't think sony is going to go that route. Microsoft seems to just be obsessed with having to have the most powerful system even though that is not what sales consoles.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #283
MVP

Reading the last few posts, I just want to say a few things.

1. PS4 Pro was in R&D before the 2013 base PS4 was released. Sony had it planned out to release a mid-gen console but we didn't know about it until March 2016 when rumors and specs started leaking after GDC about a mid-gen console.

2. PS4 Pro was released a year before Xbox One X so it wasn't Sony that was keeping up with Microsoft, it was Microsoft (and Spencer in particular) that was keeping up with Sony and with X, surpassing PS4 Pro as Spencer knew Xbox One base from 2013 and the 2016 Slim model were weaker than the 2013 base PS4 so if they didn't release the X, it would have been an even bigger difference in power and specs.

3. The "leaked/rumored" price of the PS5 costing $450 is BEFORE all the distribution, packing, materials and shipping so it's easily going past $500 total. Sony isn't going to take a loss on the console so fully expect it to be $500.

4. If anyone takes a loss on their console, it's going to be Microsoft simply because the company as a whole can easily absorb any losses and make it up in other ways. Now, Microsoft could sell Xbox Series X at a loss even at $500 as it's expected to cost more than PS5. Now, if Microsoft really wants to be ballsy, they could release the console at $400 forcing Sony to either A) match the price and take an even bigger loss or B) hope the brand being worldwide with a proven track record to stay at $500 doesn't hurt them whatsoever.

The only issue for Microsoft would be - what would they do with the Xbox Series S which is supposed to retail for $300? Series X at $500 guarantees the Series S at $300 but if they were to take an even bigger loss and sell the Series X at $400, they don't really need the Series S because for $100 difference, who wouldn't just buy the Series X? Especially if the Series S is a disc less console.

Majority would buy Xbox Series X/S with the intention of playing Halo Infinite at launch but seeing as how you can play it day one for $10 via Game Pass, you would still be saving $50 from having to purchase the game so if you put that towards the $100 price difference, it's only an extra $50 and who wouldn't pay the extra $50 for getting what will be the most powerful console with a disc drive?

5. Smallville.....prepare yourself for a PS5 Pro in most likely 3 years after PS5 base launches. Sony has pretty much confirmed that they're going to do the same as with PS4.

Me personally, I would much rather see a 5 year generation and move onto the next gen instead of having a mid-gen refresh halfway or so through the generation.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:17 AM   #284
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I really don't see Sony doing a pro again. I think the only reason ps4 did a pro was because of 4k and 8k is to far of from being main stream for people even buying the tv and even more so for being able to make a console that can do 8k that don't cost like 1000. I except games to mostly be 30 fps again. Its not really about the power its the fact that graphics sale more then a game being 60 rather then 30 fps. So developers are going to push for better graphics then fps to be higher. So yeah really no reason for a ps5 pro. By ps6 maybe we could see 8k but even then that might be more like middle of ps6. So then maybe there would be a reason to do a ps6 pro. I known Microsoft and the whole like mid gen upgrade/having a more powerful more expensive thing and a cheaper less powerful one is what they seem to be doing but i don't think sony is going to go that route. Microsoft seems to just be obsessed with having to have the most powerful system even though that is not what sales consoles.
If developers have to choose between resolution and FPS, then you've just made the case for a 'pro' console in a few years yourself.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #285
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
If developers have to choose between resolution and FPS, then you've just made the case for a 'pro' console in a few years yourself.
As long as they've figured out with devs so games work on both systems (which they have) then I don't see why it wouldn't continue. Just makes them more money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #286
MVP

Both will sell for 500 unless Sony decides to do 400 and take a huge loss but make up for it with software and services.

Both being 500 does not hurt Sony in anyway as they will sell more PS5 consoles over what MS will with the series X because PlayStation is a world wide recognized brand for decades now and is sold in many more countries.

MS will have a superior console but MS does not care sales any more with consoles, even Sony has admitted that consoles sales only mean something to fanboys. It is about software and services and right now MS has that with GP

Do not listen to the folks in the back screaming that the way to go is PS5 and PC....There are tons more console fans and owners that do not have the rig to match series x or even ps5 level of gaming

Most console gamers are just that, console gamers and not into pc gaming

If you are a MS fan and their eco system you will buy the xbox series x and enjoy new ip's that hopefully for them will be great and have the best 3rd party experiences

Sony will sell far more consoles again and will have the superior first party titles which the gap will narrow this gen in that sense with MS IMO

And fully expect Sony first party games to start going to PC far more frequently because Sony is about making money not catering to fanboys

Surprising I know right
Old 02-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #287
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm not saying this is a good compromise, but is there a reason why a console has to sell on a $100 incremental amount? Why not $450? Why not $480?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #288
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm not saying this is a good compromise, but is there a reason why a console has to sell on a $100 incremental amount? Why not $450? Why not $480?
I guess it is something companies feel comfortable with. I guess $*99.99 looks better than a $*49.99 or $*79.99. For me, it doesn't matter. Just set the reasonable price, and people will buy regardless. They shouldn't feel like their only options are taking a loss at $400 or shun some consumers at $500.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »