Home

Microsoft Reveals the New Xbox Series X, Arrives in Holiday 2020

This is a discussion on Microsoft Reveals the New Xbox Series X, Arrives in Holiday 2020 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #41
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Microsoft Reveals the New Xbox Series X, Arrives in Holiday 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
yeah, onlooker later posted as much (bolded quote). I think where the most confusion comes in buying games for their children. Also sometimes we give some humans too much credit in the brains department. You want to give them the benefit of the doubt, until you realise they dont understand the meaning of ''benefit'' or ''doubt''. - #KeepItSimpleStupid
I appreciate your highlighting this Caulfield. I realized that I had failed to mention the price difference between the two in my earlier post, so I did go back and add that. Unfortunately it must have been after XxGamerXx read my initial post concerning it.

I do wonder how distinctive the XBox Series X (Scarlett) will be from the XBox Series (Lockhart) when it's announced/released? I think there will be $200 to $250 between the two. Maybe the 'Lockhart' version will be white?

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 12-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I can cite an example where my wife's nephew asked for an XBox One X for Christmas last year and got an S instead from his non tech-savvy mother. In her mind, she'd just saved $200 on an 'XBox One' so there's at least .00000003401 evidence of this My attempt to explain to her that the difference was the XBox One X was capable of 6 teraflops, while the XBox One S was only 1.8 teraflops fell on deaf ears. He ultimately got the X, btw, so it had a happy ending.

I think it will be more confusing, model name wise, when the XBox Series X releases and the XBox One Xs are still prominent. You're right, the consumer ultimately bears the responsibility for their purchase choices, but I still wonder how many potential buyers get turned away from even exploring it? It just seems like the PS5 is more distinct and definitive. I know there's a PS4 Pro, but its suffix describes it in a way that you know you're buying a more premium/higher performing version of the PS4.
I can see something like that happening. Where if Series S and One X is around same price ball park, that could be confusing for a parent/partner. One could think if X means more powerful console and the Series S is lets say $50-100 more, they could think they are getting good deal.

I would have liked Scarlett as the console name. Because Xbox Series doesn't sound appealing. But no one is going to care about the name or look, if it is as powerful as it appears.

Quote:
I appreciate your highlighting this Caulfield. I realized that I had failed to mention the price difference between the two in my earlier post, so I did go back and add that. Unfortunately it must have been after XxGamerXx read my initial post concerning it.

I do wonder how distinctive the XBox Series X (Scarlett) will be from the XBox Series (Lockhart) when it's announced/released? I think there will be $200 to $250 between the two. Maybe the 'Lockhart' version will be white?
With the shape of the console, I'm not sure how appealing white would look. With that design, I feel darker colors would fit the design.
I know it can be horizontal and Vertical. The only main problem with vertical I can see is dust collecting at the top where vents are. I'm not sure how appealing box would be horizontally and you would have to make sure that your entertainment setup can allow adequate ventilation with it being horizontal
Old 12-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #43
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I've never bought a console at launch, but I trust the Microsoft designers and engineers now to have this console on point from jump street. Coming from a OG Xbox One it's going to be an absurd step up for me.

IMO, if someone really wants Microsoft's premium console they will get it. Stuff like fitting into someone's entertainment center or being confused by the name of the system are not concerns for anyone who is all in on the Xbox brand.

Should MS have chosen some patently obvious name that makes it instantaneously clear what generation and version a console is, Yes of course, but 5 minutes of research by any parent should have them straight on what's what. It's a pet peeve of mine when people mess things up because they don't do their homework.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #44
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

I’m just hoping that the game pass stays the same. I also how Sony follows by reintroducing the BC but I doubt they do. Looking forward to getting this but I'll wait a few months until the hype dies down.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I've never bought a console at launch, but I trust the Microsoft designers and engineers now to have this console on point from jump street. Coming from a OG Xbox One it's going to be an absurd step up for me.

IMO, if someone really wants Microsoft's premium console they will get it. Stuff like fitting into someone's entertainment center or being confused by the name of the system are not concerns for anyone who is all in on the Xbox brand.

Should MS have chosen some patently obvious name that makes it instantaneously clear what generation and version a console is, Yes of course, but 5 minutes of research by any parent should have them straight on what's what. It's a pet peeve of mine when people mess things up because they don't do their homework.
I also never got a console at launch. I always waited a year or so. This time around I'm torn on what I want to do. Part of me wants to wait a half year to year to get a new console. Just so there are a larger collection of games and primarily for possible technical issues. My fear is there might be technical issues with the first and maybe second wave of consoles. But part of me really wants to buy a console day one. I am very excited for next gen and if gameplay videos look like an improvement over current gen, then I definitely want to buy day one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #46
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I also never got a console at launch. I always waited a year or so. This time around I'm torn on what I want to do. Part of me wants to wait a half year to year to get a new console. Just so there are a larger collection of games and primarily for possible technical issues. My fear is there might be technical issues with the first and maybe second wave of consoles. But part of me really wants to buy a console day one. I am very excited for next gen and if gameplay videos look like an improvement over current gen, then I definitely want to buy day one.
Same reason I was thinking of waiting but I could end up playing those games from generations ago and not stress with having nothing to play. Would give the console early life to play my wall of shame games last of tons of titles I didn't even start. Plus the contours are going to work right? Price is the only thing I am looking for. Looks like a mini ATX concept.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I've bought the last two generations at launch for the first time ever (not XBOX but ps 3 & 4). I was more than pleased the first time but less so the second time. the 2nd, greatness still is awaiting, imo. this time around I give it time to mature, slightly.

A Work in Progress
Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
I can cite an example where my wife's nephew asked for an XBox One X for Christmas last year and got an S instead from his non tech-savvy mother. In her mind, she'd just saved $200 on an 'XBox One' so there's at least .00000003401 evidence of this My attempt to explain to her that the difference was the XBox One X was capable of 6 teraflops, while the XBox One S was only 1.8 teraflops fell on deaf ears. He ultimately got the X, btw, so it had a happy ending.

I think it will be more confusing, model name wise, when the XBox Series X releases and the XBox One Xs are still prominent. You're right, the consumer ultimately bears the responsibility for their purchase choices, but I still wonder how many potential buyers get turned away from even exploring it? It just seems like the PS5 is more distinct and definitive. I know there's a PS4 Pro, but its suffix describes it in a way that you know you're buying a more premium/higher performing version of the PS4.
Am sorry but one box is white and cheap and the other is black and more expensive.

If a kid asks his mom for a ps4 pro are you saying these humans would be smart to not get the base ps4 with no PRO name that has a game or two in the bundle because they thought they were saving?

These issues only come up when Xbox releases something but never for sony

So if parents are dumb, I guess they will buy base ps4 for 100 dollars over timmy asking for ps5 because they are saving money?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »