Home

Microsoft Reveals the New Xbox Series X, Arrives in Holiday 2020

This is a discussion on Microsoft Reveals the New Xbox Series X, Arrives in Holiday 2020 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #49
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Microsoft Reveals the New Xbox Series X, Arrives in Holiday 2020

A couple thoughts....

Sometimes gamers overestimate how much non-gamers understand gaming lingo. My wife, parents, and in laws certainly understand the idea of console generations and that new consoles come out every few years. But not some of the nuance. For example, if I asked my wife to get me a PS4 Pro for Christmas she would have to have it explained to her very clearly what the difference is between the base, pro, and slim models. Same with my parents or in laws. Not because they are dumb, but because to them all PS4s are the same. They aren't gamers. If Microsoft launches with multiple sku's (like it seems like they are) there will be some level of confusion among non gamers who are asked to get one of these consoles as a Christmas gift. I have faith Microsoft will be smart enough with their messaging to avoid too much confusion.

As for the console itself, I am impressed. While there have been some highs of the PS4/Xbox One generation, I have largely been unimpressed. It has felt like more of a continuation of the PS360 era than it's own gen. And that's okay, I loved the PS360 era, my favorite ever. This looks like a huge leap forward.

That said, I plan to sit out the first couple years. I want to see what Sony is doing before I get on board with the next xbox. I am not a fan of all the cloud gaming/subscription based stuff and Micrsoft is leading the charge there.

I want to see what Sony's BC policy is going forward, what MLB the show looks like on new consoles, and if we get NCAA back on new consoles. And a Mass Effect trilogy remaster/remake. Some combination of those things really taking a step forward is when I'll ju.p in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
Same reason I was thinking of waiting but I could end up playing those games from generations ago and not stress with having nothing to play. Would give the console early life to play my wall of shame games last of tons of titles I didn't even start. Plus the contours are going to work right? Price is the only thing I am looking for. Looks like a mini ATX concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I've bought the last two generations at launch for the first time ever (not XBOX but ps 3 & 4). I was more than pleased the first time but less so the second time. the 2nd, greatness still is awaiting, imo. this time around I give it time to mature, slightly.
For me, BC isn't the top seller for me. Essentially, there isn't any games on my back log. But, I do plan on skipping out on all the games that are coming out next year. I rather wait to play them on new console and sure next year's games will get an added boost on new hardware. Plus there are old games that I would like to play again.

Price for me isn't a huge concern. I'm thinking the price is definitely going to be $500. With the specs we are hearing about, I don't think it will be under $500 without them cutting back on something else and taking huge loss. Don't think the casual fan is ready for $600 console. I wouldn't mind $600 if console is as powerful as possible and without need for mid gen refresh. I just don't want to spend $500 plus and then mid gen versions come out 3 years later. But for me even though I getting PS5, I plan on playing Series X if my stepson gets it. I plan on trading in my Pro and base PS4 model in. If I get about $300 for both combined, then I'm essentially only paying $200 -300 for new console. Plus I canceled my Gamefly couple months ago until next gen, so I'm saving $200+ for not paying for that the next year. With trading in current consoles and dropping Gamefly for a year, I'm essentially paying for next gen. I'm just trying to decide when to trade in consoles. There's just one game I want to play for a couple months. But the value of consoles drop as it gets closer to launch. So at the latest, I want to trade in consoles by mid Feb. Game Stop seems to have the best trade in deals. If not I'll try to sell it myself.
At launch, we're looking at 3-5 big titles, sports games, BC games. I think that it enough to hold over most over the first 6 months of next gen
Old 12-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #51
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
A couple thoughts....

Sometimes gamers overestimate how much non-gamers understand gaming lingo. My wife, parents, and in laws certainly understand the idea of console generations and that new consoles come out every few years. But not some of the nuance. For example, if I asked my wife to get me a PS4 Pro for Christmas she would have to have it explained to her very clearly what the difference is between the base, pro, and slim models. Same with my parents or in laws. Not because they are dumb, but because to them all PS4s are the same. They aren't gamers. If Microsoft launches with multiple sku's (like it seems like they are) there will be some level of confusion among non gamers who are asked to get one of these consoles as a Christmas gift. I have faith Microsoft will be smart enough with their messaging to avoid too much confusion.

As for the console itself, I am impressed. While there have been some highs of the PS4/Xbox One generation, I have largely been unimpressed. It has felt like more of a continuation of the PS360 era than it's own gen. And that's okay, I loved the PS360 era, my favorite ever. This looks like a huge leap forward.

That said, I plan to sit out the first couple years. I want to see what Sony is doing before I get on board with the next xbox. I am not a fan of all the cloud gaming/subscription based stuff and Micrsoft is leading the charge there.

I want to see what Sony's BC policy is going forward, what MLB the show looks like on new consoles, and if we get NCAA back on new consoles. And a Mass Effect trilogy remaster/remake. Some combination of those things really taking a step forward is when I'll ju.p in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Sales of PS4 beg to differ, why did it sell so well when PS3 was still being sold

Average mom and grandma bought the correct one then but now is an issue?

NOPE....A human who sees a white box costing 150 vs a black one with a 500 price tag should know that there is a big difference...No need to explain anything
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #52
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
Sales of PS4 beg to differ, why did it sell so well when PS3 was still being sold

Average mom and grandma bought the correct one then but now is an issue?

NOPE....A human who sees a white box costing 150 vs a black one with a 500 price tag should know that there is a big difference...No need to explain anything
Because it is a distinctly different product and not similar sku's of the same product? A PS4 is a PS4, not a PS3. And vice versa.

Whereas PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, the original PS4 (which I know has been discontinued) are all different versions of PS4. If someone bought a base PS4 or PS4 slim when their kid wanted a PS4 Pro instead it still counts towards PS4 sales. But the kid ultimately didn't get the console they wanted.

It's not inherently a hard concept I admit, but for people who aren't in the weeds of consoles it isn't hard to see how someone could be confused on the different sku's. Should I buy the Xbox Series X or the Xbox Series S (i.e. the rumored Lockheart)? Or the Xbox One X? Gamers tend to misjudge what non-gamers know and understand about consoles.

I think the general public clearly understands the idea of console generations and the jump from one gen to the next. As we have started to have these mid-gen refreshes and now it appears MS is trying to do away with generations altogether...these things change the console landscape that has been in existence for 30 plus years. For the casual consumer this is different than what they are used to so it creates the potential for their to be some confusion on what exactly it is Microsoft is doing. As long as Microsoft is clear in their messaging (which it does appear that they are so far) on what their different console models are geared towards it's a non issue.

Again, it isn't the end of the world and it isn't going to cause the console to fail or even have poor sales or anything that like. I'm not even trying to say that. But to pretend launching a console with multiple sku's couldn't impact messaging and create some initial confusion outside of gaming circles is naive.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I thought I was savvy but now all the X's & O's & S's talk leave me feeling confused.

but at least I know where I stand on 1,2,3,4&5. I also know now why non-Star War fans get confused when I talk about watching episode IV,V,&VI when I was a kid but had to wait till I was 35 to see episode III connect to episode IV

A Work in Progress
Old 12-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #54
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
THAT SHARE BUTTON THO...
Isn't the share button on the New Elite Series 2 controller right now?
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 12-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #55
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBoyle78
Isn't the share button on the New Elite Series 2 controller right now?
It's called the "Profile" button on the Elite 2. It's used to toggle amongst your preset controller profiles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #56
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
Am sorry but one box is white and cheap and the other is black and more expensive.
Yes, to most self aware consumers, but there are those out there who aren't.

Quote:
If a kid asks his mom for a ps4 pro are you saying these humans would be smart to not get the base ps4 with no PRO name that has a game or two in the bundle because they thought they were saving?
I wouldn't necessarily say smart, more like blissfully "cheap".

Quote:
So if parents are dumb, I guess they will buy base ps4 for 100 dollars over timmy asking for ps5 because they are saving money?
Probably as much frugal, or "cheap" as dumb.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »