Home

Playing People OOP - Major Fielding Issues?

This is a discussion on Playing People OOP - Major Fielding Issues? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Playing People OOP - Major Fielding Issues?

Has anyone else experienced this when playing someone out of position?

I managed to complete the Angels set and picked up Legend Carew for just 6k.

So for me, it was a no brainer to complete it for the income bonus and try this guy out despite having Altuve.

My intial plan and line up consisted of me playing;

Altuve at 2B
Carew at SS

With this set up, I started noticing some odd plays which consisted of Carew overthrowing the 1B for the out, on a constant basis. Ontop of that he fumbling some line drives he shouldn't have.

At this point I had enough and decided to switch Altuve to SS and play him OOP.

These same issues began, but with Altuve struggling and Carew playing stellar D.

From here I started to wonder if my DD player was that dominant at SS, where he was positioned before I got Carew.

So I plugged my DD player in at SS, Altuve back into 2B and Carew at LF to see if my Out Of Position Fielding theory was real.

Sure enough, my infield play was back to being fantastic with my DD player at SS and Altuve at 2B.

But Carew has continued to struggle in the outfield on occasion, dropping fly balls that shouldn't be dropped.

He gets there due to his speed, but it seems he has hands of stone when out of position!

Has anyone else experienced this with OOP players?

At this point it looks like I will be putting one of Carew/Altuve on the bench so there are no clear liabilities on the field!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Rookie

DarkArrow's Arena

Re: Playing People OOP - Major Fielding Issues?

This is a very interesting and well conducted experiment.

I have noticed this on odd occasions when putting some players OPP.
First instance that comes to mind is Bagwell. He's a 1st baseman that I tried in Right field for an extended period of time. This is obviously a thing that real MLB teams do depending if they need to fill a roster spot (for example after an injury)
On average he would do ok, but he'd also randomly make some terrible errors.

I'd have to experiment more and report back.
If this is the case, as you say, then it's not a good thing. You want to be able to move someone like Altuve, or a gold glover infiedler around the infield and the same in the outfield. It's probably due to poor coding or maybe it's a simple DD bug.

Also note: I find some the fielding animations (in the outfield specifically) atrocious
They did a terrible job with animations when the players back is turned and that awkward lenghty animations when he actually fields the ball. It feels so awkward and causes so many unecessary errors.
Others have reported the same thing.

But I'm going to disregard that for now while doing the experiment.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawdogRob26
Has anyone else experienced this when playing someone out of position?

I managed to complete the Angels set and picked up Legend Carew for just 6k.

So for me, it was a no brainer to complete it for the income bonus and try this guy out despite having Altuve.

My intial plan and line up consisted of me playing;

Altuve at 2B
Carew at SS

With this set up, I started noticing some odd plays which consisted of Carew overthrowing the 1B for the out, on a constant basis. Ontop of that he fumbling some line drives he shouldn't have.

At this point I had enough and decided to switch Altuve to SS and play him OOP.

These same issues began, but with Altuve struggling and Carew playing stellar D.

From here I started to wonder if my DD player was that dominant at SS, where he was positioned before I got Carew.

So I plugged my DD player in at SS, Altuve back into 2B and Carew at LF to see if my Out Of Position Fielding theory was real.

Sure enough, my infield play was back to being fantastic with my DD player at SS and Altuve at 2B.

But Carew has continued to struggle in the outfield on occasion, dropping fly balls that shouldn't be dropped.

He gets there due to his speed, but it seems he has hands of stone when out of position!

Has anyone else experienced this with OOP players?

At this point it looks like I will be putting one of Carew/Altuve on the bench so there are no clear liabilities on the field!
You know players out of position get a a rating from on fielding stats right? It's 20% for secondary position and 40%"for completely out of position
Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Just started!

Does the 20 or 40% include throwing strength and accuracy? I have played my Outfielders out of position and have not noticed any wierd errors. Just wondering if it effects their throwing stats?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2054
You know players out of position get a a rating from on fielding stats right? It's 20% for secondary position and 40%"for completely out of position
Which would explain some issues in regards to dropped balls and poor reaction to the play to an extent.

But that shouldnt mean Rod Carew cant hit 1st Base for a simple out, which was my main concern.

I picked him up for SS with the assumption of some drop in fielding. But not nearly to the extent he has.

Hes been far superior in LF than he was at SS, which makes no sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »