Home

Any way to not get matched up vs Directional Hitting/ Timing Players?

This is a discussion on Any way to not get matched up vs Directional Hitting/ Timing Players? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Any way to not get matched up vs Directional Hitting/ Timing Players?

Honestly it sucks playing these guys as a Zone Hitter. Played a guy who had not great plate discipline but I threw 2 curveballs for strikes in the zone and he absolutely hammered them both for HR's. With the cpu controlling the PCI they only have to time the ball and they can pretty much crush a hanging curve. While a hanging curve is one of the hardest pitches to hit using zone imo. Plus they can also hit pitchers pitches on the low corners right back up the middle no problem.

Is there a way I can be matched up against zone only players?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Any way to not get matched up vs Directional Hitting/ Timing Players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Honestly it sucks playing these guys as a Zone Hitter. Played a guy who had not great plate discipline but I threw 2 curveballs for strikes in the zone and he absolutely hammered them both for HR's. With the cpu controlling the PCI they only have to time the ball and they can pretty much crush a hanging curve. While a hanging curve is one of the hardest pitches to hit using zone imo. Plus they can also hit pitchers pitches on the low corners right back up the middle no problem.

Is there a way I can be matched up against zone only players?

While those are all pluses of using directional, zone has theirs too. It's like 20x easier to hit homers with zone, even if you suck at it. The only pitch you can typically jack on directional is a meatball.

I've run into guys online with 30+ HRs with individual players and immediately know they're a zone guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Yeah this whole argument that timed/directional players are not as skilled.

Total BS.

You have to have the plate discipline and hitters eye to still be a successful hitter no matter what. And now with the directional element we can also sit on a pitch in a certain area of the zone. Still no guarantee we will mash it though because we still have the sim element of a players ratings and PCI size to deal with too.

Deal with it.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Yeah this whole argument that timed/directional players are not as skilled.

Total BS.

You have to have the plate discipline and hitters eye to still be a successful hitter no matter what. And now with the directional element we can also sit on a pitch in a certain area of the zone. Still no guarantee we will mash it though because we still have the sim element of a players ratings and PCI size to deal with too.

Deal with it.
I agree it takes skill and plate discipline, but after using directional I've found it too easy to make contact. You have less power compared to zone for sure since if you line up the PCI and time it right it's gone. I used directional for a while and made much more contact than I did with zone, but I missed the control you get with zone and with that the extra power. I've just used zone for so long and I hit very well with it already I feel. Timing I only started using this year to try out directional.

It is a trade off, but if you know how to use timing and have been using it for years you will likely hit very well with the stacked lineups in DD. I think that is my main issue with directional. With a stacked lineup it is just too easy to make solid contact with directional. With more mediocre hitters I don't see that much of an advantage at all really, it is only when you start getting into the hitters where if you time it right you will hit it hard. That is not true with zone. And that's the problem there are no mediocre hitters in DD anymore, every team is stacked.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 04-15-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I agree it takes skill and plate discipline, but after using directional I've found it too easy to make contact. You have less power compared to zone for sure since if you line up the PCI and time it right it's gone. I used directional for a while and made much more contact than I did with zone, but I missed the control you get with zone and with that the extra power. I've just used zone for so long and I hit very well with it already I feel. Timing I only started using this year to try out directional.

It is a trade off, but if you know how to use timing and have been using it for years you will likely hit very well with the stacked lineups in DD. I think that is my main issue with directional. With a stacked lineup it is just too easy to make solid contact with directional. With more mediocre hitters I don't see that much of an advantage at all really, it is only when you start getting into the hitters where if you time it right you will hit it hard. That is not true with zone. And that's the problem there are no mediocre hitters in DD anymore, every team is stacked.
Very true. Stacked teams your not going to get differential as much in hitting with Directional vs Zone. I used to hit Zone back on 09/10 and switched to timed in 11. No doubt you can jack with Zone but you will whiff more and get less contact. I don't disagree.

And the point about DD is totally legit. I was talking in more general terms. In online play I think you still get great results with Directional vs Zone in that mediocre and weak hitter are still just that with Directional. Obviously not as dramatic as zone.

But I want a more sim approach vs a user skill approach. It's just a question of "how do you want to play"?
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Rookie

I switched to directional last nigjt to try it out. I don't know if it was bad players or not but I totally lit most of them up. For me it's much easier to hit using directional. Especially when I'm trying to use the power swing. Having one less thing to worry about makes it easier for me to focus. I think I have 24 hrs in 12 games. One guy has 4 at bats and 3 hrs lol. I think it's Kang. He can freaking rake in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »