Home

Is it worth it to switch your lineup based on the pitcher?

This is a discussion on Is it worth it to switch your lineup based on the pitcher? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
Is it worth it to switch your lineup based on the pitcher?

If you don't know, the game informs you before you start a game which handedness the starting pitcher has, so you can make line up adjustments before the game starts.

I used to just ignore this. I didn't have much stubs and built my entire team around players who are ambidextrous, who hit well against any type of pitcher.

But as I've played the mode, my hitting sucks and I need all the strategic help I can get. And the hitting increase you get going against an opposite side pitcher is massive. I'm also not poor anymore so I can afford to create a strong bench.

Since most pitchers are right handed (I'm assuming), should I only put left handed hitters on my starting lineup?

Should I be filling my bench with great hitters who are opposite handedness as my starting lineup and then switching them depending on which starting pitcher the opponent uses?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is it worth it to switch your lineup based on the pitcher?

I have two lineups. vs RHP and LHP. Most people online use RHP's so it's not that big of a deal to switch them in once in a while.

There are some cheap lefty mashers in the game and some also that hit righties very well. Only issue is they only hit one well. It can limit your bench, but the benefit of extra offense during the early innings outweighs that to me.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Rookie

Yes, it helps. It all depends on how you want to work it. I have Mike Schmidt in my lineup. Against RHP I have him hit down in the 7th spot, because his contact is horrible, but when I'm facing a LHP I bat hi 3rd because he CRUSHES lefties.

Granted, Schmidt is a legend but you can base your lineup this way with whatever players you have. If you have a guy on your bench who has high contact/power (whatever stat is most important to you) against whichever RHP/LHP you're facing, you should consider swapping him for a player in your lineup who is weak against the same pitcher hand.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Banned

My lineup:

VS RHP
C Created Player
1B M. Cabrera
2B R. Cano
3B G. Brett
SS T. Tulowitzki
LF T. Williams
CF M. Trout
RF A. McCutchin

VS LHP
C Created Player
1B J. Bagwell
2B J. Altuve
3B M. Schmidt
SS T. Tulowitzki
LF R. Kiner
CF M. Trout
RF A. McCutchin
Old 05-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
Rookie

HookEmRavens's Arena

OVR: 2

I find it gives me an advantage early. I'm very pitching dominant, so I need any offensive advantage I can get. My current lineups are these:

vs. RHP:
LF Ichiro Suzuki
CF Willie Mays (created)
1B Anthony Rizzo
RF Bryce Harper
3B Chase Headley
2B Jason Kipnis
C Carlos Ruiz
SS Alexei Ramirez

vs. LHP:
LF Rajai Davis
CF Willie Mays
1B Billy Butler
RF Jorge Soler
C Carlos Ruiz
3B Martin Prado
2B Howie Kendrick
SS Alexei Ramirez
NHL: San Jose Sharks
NCAA: Texas Longhorns
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Rookie

Hoosierdaddy76's Arena

Not for me. I just go with an everyday lineup that consists of 4 righties and 4 lefties who alternate: L/R/L/R...etc. This saves me from having to swap out players before games and also from stacking a lineup with players from only one side of the plate, so that when my opponent brings in that same-handed reliever, I'm not screwed.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy76
Not for me. I just go with an everyday lineup that consists of 4 righties and 4 lefties who alternate: L/R/L/R...etc. This saves me from having to swap out players before games and also from stacking a lineup with players from only one side of the plate, so that when my opponent brings in that same-handed reliever, I'm not screwed.
This is the ideal situation and I'm sure most are striving for this but some don't yet have the luxury. I'm still platooning (Seager/A. Ramirez) at the 3b position. I imagine, Beltre or Brett would solve this but I don't have the coin to get them.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Banned

Icon12 Re: Is it worth it to switch your lineup based on the pitcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy76
I'd rather have the biggest advantage possible for all but maybe one AB than use a neutral player every AB.

Plus almost every best offensive option at each position has above average defense.

Also having to be "stuck" with a Williams, Kiner, Schmidt or Cano swinging from their weaker side isn't the worst situation in the world.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »