Home

A problem with card availability for the 2nd year in a row.

This is a discussion on A problem with card availability for the 2nd year in a row. within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
A problem with card availability for the 2nd year in a row.

I felt this way last year as well.

The game mechanic of feeding cards to your custom created character and completing collections conflicts with the goal of having a healthy market and having cards be accessible for the majority of casual players.

This further has been made a problem by the fact that you must feed your custom player and complete collections to earn the best cards.

Look at the prices on the market for common players, who should be the cheapest cards. Mariners commons are going for 300+ right now because everyone is going for Rookie Ichiro. No casual player can afford to purchase the 100-150 Mariner cards you would need to feed and unlock this card with. And the prices are going to get even higher this weekend.

You are seeing the same thing with the rest of the market. Soon there is going to be a shortage of players on the market and prices are going to skyrocket. Not enough people are opening packs (because it's expensive to do so, you get no value from standard packs and stubs are hard to earn) but people are hoarding cards because you are required to do so to complete collection and feed missions.

Last edited by takki; 03-31-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: A problem with card availability for the 2nd year in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takki
I felt this way last year as well.

The game mechanic of feeding cards to your custom created character and completing collections conflicts with the goal of having a healthy market and having cards be accessible for the majority of casual players.

This further has been made a problem by the fact that you must feed your custom player and complete collections to earn the best cards.

Look at the prices on the market for common players, who should be the cheapest cards. Mariners commons are going for 300+ right now because everyone is going for Rookie Ichiro. No casual player can afford to purchase the 100-150 Mariner cards you would need to feed and unlock this card with. And the prices are going to get even higher this weekend.

You are seeing the same thing with the rest of the market. Soon there is going to be a shortage of players on the market and prices are going to skyrocket. Not enough people are opening packs (because it's expensive to do so, you get no value from standard packs and stubs are hard to earn) but people are hoarding cards because you are required to do so to complete collection and feed missions.

Gotta disagree for the following reasons:

1. We aren't even 4 full days in and prices are over inflated just like last year at this point. Last year the low end Nike cleat was going 200-300 stubs for the first month or so. After that it could be had 30-50 stubs. In other words when the first market correction happens with the first roster update in May, the market regulates every week after that. More importantly, new cards are introduced every week & card levels will change every week starting in May.

2. The market doesn't reward card chasing and it never has. It's fools gold. Congrats, you have an Ichiro rookie and your XP is 4. Was it really worth it?

3. When to feed a created player is your choice. Its not designed to become a 99 in a month. Use a smart calculated process. Use duplicate cards from collections you have locked.

4. The system is more fair then last year. This year you have a dual revenue system to obtain for cards. Stubs is currency, tickets is time.

5. Focusing on Captains is the key. The more collections & missions you close, the more XP, tickets, stubs, and cards you get as reward after games. I picked Ortiz as my captain. I've done his mission 9 times so far. I have 400 tickets, and have his XP at 15 of 42. Im currently getting 2 cards for every victory and 1 card for every loss at all star level. I'd say I get 1 silver or gold level card for every 3 victories I get.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Gotta disagree for the following reasons:
Thanks for the response. There are a few points you are going to have to explain to me.

1. I'm aware the cards are inflated. What I'm stating is that garbage, 50 rated commons are going for 300+ stubs minimum. This is because people are completing the feeding collections. This is going to get worse because there are not enough commons being put on the market to keep up with everyone completing collections.

Last year, commons for more popular teams were going for 1000+ stubs because people wanted to complete the more popular collections. But it wasn't a huge deal because nobody cared about completing a collection like the Rockies, so their cards remained cheap. But now every team's commons are going to rise because people want to complete all the AL and NL collections for 99 Arod and 99 Stocker.

2. Rookie Ichiro is the best known lead off hitter in the game stats wise and has maxed out speed and defense. What do you mean "it's fools gold"? Everyone who wants the best speed card in the game is going to complete this collection.

5. I'm aware of the mechanics. I have 650 tickets myself because grinding challenges while unlocking Conquest rewards is the only thing I've done since release. I'm not another person whining because I'll have to work harder to play the game this year.

Last edited by takki; 04-01-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

OVR: 0

Youre overreacting. Those high priced guys that arent good are only for the teams like Philly and Milwaukee which are super easy to finish the entire collection, hence overpriced garbage guys. People are paying the price because they want the legend, of course sellers are going to overcharge for them, its why Im waiting to finish those collections for a couple of weeks. Ive gone through the first collection challenges of each team except those select few awful teams, havent spent over 100 tokens on any player, its very easy if you are patient.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »