Home

Hitting Tips vs Human opponents

This is a discussion on Hitting Tips vs Human opponents within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Hitting Tips vs Human opponents

Anyone have any advice on how to hit in online games? I'm usually a pretty solid batter but without guess pitch I'm just getting dominated. I feel hopeless at the plate because I can't sit on anything and I have to defend the entire zone without being able to eliminate a pitch.

I have a team full of allstars and I'm getting one or two hitted buy guys like Brandon McCarthy and Hyun-Jin Ryu. Obviously it's not impossible because my opponents seem to be doing alright but I can't make solid contact for the life of me!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

Re: Hitting Tips vs Human opponents

guess pitch is your crutch, best is to go into batting practice, or exhibition and just learn to not use guess pitch. because the issue here is that your expecting pitches in certain areas because of that guess pitch so you are not actually reading the pitches them selves.

you need to just turn guess pitch off and just really focus on how the ball moves and where the ball goes
Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

What he said.

Just focus on the middle of the plate until you have two strikes. Anyone that's decent-good is going to try to nibble the corners. If they miss a release point, it's going to be something really hittable, or an easy to see ball out of the zone.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
MVP

I never really fully understood the directional hitting either, like is trying for a fly ball with a power hitter on a low pitch bad or good?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

First I would ask what hitting mode are you using? I primarily use zone for every mode but when I play online I find it too tough to ever make solid contact. I would suggest zone hitting for online modes.

Apart from that it's really about pitching psychology and trying to determine what your opponent's skill level is, their pitching trends and the pitcher's repetoire of pitches. The way i approach hitting is I look at the pitcher's repetoire if he has a lot of fastball type pitches like fastballs, sinkers, splitters and even sliders. Then i know i can anticipate a certain consistency to the velocity to the majority of his pitches and I can probably be a bit more aggressive at the plate. If I see that he has better offspead pitches like change ups and curves then I'll always keep in my head to anticipate the offspeed and hope to catch up to the fastball. You should normally look fastball and react to the offspeed but I find doing that has me swinging way too early often.

The other thing I would suggest is understand where the pitches look the most deceptive. Most players online will generally try to get you to chase on high fastballs and low changeups just cause they look too tempting to swing at. Best thing you can do is just practice recognizing what those pitches look like out of the pitcher's hand.

Last bit of advice is don't feel compelled to swing at everything in the strike zone, sometimes waiting for a good pitch is the best option. The worst thing is to have a guy on the mound killing you and having it always be on less than 3 pitches cause you'll never wear him down in the later innings. Sometimes what i will do is take my hand off the controller until the guy throws a first strike.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
What he said.

Just focus on the middle of the plate until you have two strikes. Anyone that's decent-good is going to try to nibble the corners. If they miss a release point, it's going to be something really hittable, or an easy to see ball out of the zone.
Exactly. You can still guess a certain pitch, you just won't get the feedback. I would look middle until you get two strikes like others have said. After that, I use the contact swing and just protect.

You need to be willing to wait for your pitch, and not feel the need to swing at everything that's a strike.

This is all easier said than done lol, I only hit like .250 online.

As far as the directional hitting goes, I'm not sure as I've never used it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
MVP

Hitter vs pitcher is actually ridiculously broken online head to head. I'm playing in the division series and i'm winning the majority of my games but every game the score is basically 0-0 until the late innings and then a couple HR's happen. It's not fun exciting baseball, it's frustrating beyond belief for both players.

I'm batting like .015 with Yoenis Cespedes and probably .045 with 2011 Jose Bautista (and I'm winning most games) This is coming from someone who hit over .300 in MLB the Show 15 online vs.!!

I love the idea of Diamond Dynasty, but without guess pitch the games feel like torture. I barely can put anything in play, everything I feel I square up decently is either a pop up a dinky grounder or a foul ball. The only time I seem to get hits are game winning HRs.

Just kind of ranting here, not sure why they won't just let you play with Guess pitch like you can do in every other mode! I'm not an MLB player I find it simply impossible to judge pitch type, location AND react in time to hit the ball.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
MVP

the weirdest thing is the better the players on my team got, the worse they all seem to hit. I think it must be some sort of AI trick to keep the games close

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »