Home

Ok, how how do you hit same-handed pitchers?

This is a discussion on Ok, how how do you hit same-handed pitchers? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Ok, how how do you hit same-handed pitchers?

I've been playing The Show for a long time. Only recently (last year) have I started playing online because online before last year was just a terrible experience.

I had an outstanding DD H2H rating last year, and have a pretty good record this year as well. However, I cannot for the life of me hit righty-vs-righty or lefty-vs-lefty.

Almost every single pitcher you face in DD throws 96-99 mph. You have to swing SO INCREDIBLY EARLY at the high-and-tight heat that it makes it absolutely impossible. If you sell out against that heat, then sure, you can catch up to it. But if you sell out, you have ZERO chance at anything else. If you're looking for something else, the heat will ROAST you. It's like theres absolutely nothing you can do.

I can hit .370 with Francisco Lindor, but hit .200-.220 with 95 Bautista and 97 Kemp. It's a shame because I can't use half the cards in the game because I simply can't put right handed batters in my starting lineup. It's just broken bats, tap outs to the catcher, and Ks.

And then lefty on lefty, forget it. If you throw over 92 mph and have a decent slider, I'll be hitting .083.

The vast majority of my opponents also clearly struggle with this. However you get the occasional juggernaut who just hits .370 with all of his right handed hitters, immediately jumps on the high heat, while also immediately recognizing off speed and crushing that too. How?!?! I've been playing this game for so long... I just don't understand it. I mean I literally have to swing the split second the ball comes out of his hand to catch up to a 98 mph heater, there is zero time at all to read and react. Yet they do?

Last edited by VoItage; 04-09-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Rookie

Ruffychu's Arena

Re: Ok, how how do you hit same-handed pitchers?

I close my eyes and press x

But in all seriousness maybe try offset camera angle to get a better view

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Hoosierdaddy76's Arena

As in real life, it's more difficult but entirely possible, especially once you find a strategy that works for you. Mine is to stay back, sit fastball, and go to opposite center with everything.

This gives you an extra 1/3rd of a second or so to recognize offspeed stuff and keeps your weight back enough to foul off tough 2-strike pitches. Some great advice on this particular subject was provided by Ty Cobb to a rookie who asked him for hitting tips:

"Try to hit to right-center. I don’t mean you should place the ball in any one spot, but start now practicing to hit your right-handers to the opposite field. An inside ball from a right-hand pitcher you will naturally pull, say, to left-center."
Old 04-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy76
As in real life, it's more difficult but entirely possible, especially once you find a strategy that works for you. Mine is to stay back, sit fastball, and go to opposite center with everything.

This gives you an extra 1/3rd of a second or so to recognize offspeed stuff and keeps your weight back enough to foul off tough 2-strike pitches. Some great advice on this particular subject was provided by Ty Cobb to a rookie who asked him for hitting tips:

"Try to hit to right-center. I don’t mean you should place the ball in any one spot, but start now practicing to hit your right-handers to the opposite field. An inside ball from a right-hand pitcher you will naturally pull, say, to left-center."
Problem is that you can't take a 96+ mph fastball in the up-and-in quadrant into right center. If you do, your bat will be in half and the ball will gently land in the second basemen's mitt...
Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
Rookie

RedHawk24's Arena

Swing the bat?
NHL- Columbus Blue Jackets
MLS- Columbus Crew SC

Twitter- @kennanbelau
PSN- RedHawk2012
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
Rookie

plainfacepicasso's Arena

You see people with good avg against same handed pitching because your able to see there stats vs the cpu. Don't think everybody is a good hitter. That's not the case.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
MVP

Pitchers definately have the upper hand in DD head to head, you're not the only one having this problem. Patience having a good game plan and perseverance are definately keys to success online. I'm not sure why you can guess pitch in every mode but this one. I personally think the game is much more realistic with it on. If you're hitting above .200 in the higher divisions online you're doing pretty good as you're almost always facing elite pitchers

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »