Home

Bad Psychology in the Community Market

This is a discussion on Bad Psychology in the Community Market within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1
re: Bad Psychology in the Community Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
MORE STUBS, LESS TIME. If everyone just used their brains, we'd all benefit more. Why can't you see that?

because I don't care if anyone else is making stubs and how they do it, I want all the stubs for me, for my team and collections
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #26
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Quote:
MORE STUBS, LESS TIME. If everyone just used their brains, we'd all benefit more. Why can't you see that?

You think you're taking advantage of these people, but you're not. We make stubs because of people's laziness in using the Buy Now option. That's the only reason this marketplace works.
Maybe you should google how and what a market is. It will better help you understand supply and demand and how to profit off of it.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #27
Rookie

GodOfNugget's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Yes, of course speed is key in flipping; but you're logic still doesn't make any sense. Please understand this one key point: Your sell price has no determination on the speed it sells.

You could very well do the little strategy you spoke of; but so what? I'll just underbid whatever you put by 1 still. All you did was accelerate the decline in sale value. You're still in bidding battle either way. You'd be better off just flipping the lower value cards because they turn around much faster with less bids, rather than killing the markets on the large value cards.
Yeah I guess it's just a difference in philosphy then. If a larger-than-1-stub undercut to a sell order can buy me a longer time at the top of the sell/buy order then I do believe it determines the speed that it sells. On top of the fact that the extra time at the top of the sell/buy is more time I can use to flip other cards, I consider it a profitable move. I really only use this method on cards with very large gaps that I see multiple people are bidding/undercutting so that I can stay at the top buy/sell order for longer while people are inputting +/-1 stub bids. Even if they do cancel their order and then undercut me by 1, that 10 seconds is 10 seconds that my card has a chance to sell and their card doesn't. That may not seem worth it but again when flipping so many cards and constantly checking to see if I have the highest buy/sell orders, every second I have the highest/lowest order can affect the speed of sale.

Again, this is just my opinion. Worked pretty well for me in 15 and now in 16. I don't really flip anymore this year but happy flipping to everyone else!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #28
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Quote:
OBVIOUSLY. Everyone is. That's the whole point! WE WILL ALL MORE MORE STUBS.

This is my last attempt with you:

This basic principle undermines you entire premise, and you've yet to address it: Your sell price has no effect on the speed it sells.
their is no easy way to explain this without giving away my secret. I know you are a smart guy (based off of your schooling) You will figure out what I am saying. You will figure out the concept of looking outside of the box. Trust me on it. If you have any other questions. Send me a message.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #29
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfNugget
Yeah I guess it's just a difference in philosphy then. If a larger-than-1-stub undercut to a sell order can buy me a longer time at the top of the sell/buy order then I do believe it determines the speed that it sells. On top of the fact that the extra time at the top of the sell/buy is more time I can use to flip other cards, I consider it a profitable move. I really only use this method on cards with very large gaps that I see multiple people are bidding/undercutting so that I can stay at the top buy/sell order for longer while people are inputting +/-1 stub bids. Even if they do cancel their order and then undercut me by 1, that 10 seconds is 10 seconds that my card has a chance to sell and their card doesn't. That may not seem worth it but again when flipping so many cards and constantly checking to see if I have the highest buy/sell orders, every second I have the highest/lowest order can affect the speed of sale.

Again, this is just my opinion. Worked pretty well for me in 15 and now in 16. I don't really flip anymore this year but happy flipping to everyone else!
Objectively, it's not worth it. Especially when you're talking about market theory; if everyone did what you did, then we'd all make far less stubs. If everyone did it the rationale way, we'd all make more stubs in the aggregate. All of us.

I'm not gonna argue these points with you any more though, as it doesn't seem like you're willing at least try and understand what I'm saying.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying in any way to insult you, but this is something that I truly believe is non-debatable, so I hope you understand my passion.

Anyways, good luck with whatever approach you take. If this info registers with even a handful of people, we'll all benefit.

Last edited by bfindeisen; 04-13-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #30
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRDIBL
their is no easy way to explain this without giving away my secret. I know you are a smart guy (based off of your schooling) You will figure out what I am saying. You will figure out the concept of looking outside of the box. Trust me on it. If you have any other questions. Send me a message.
Fair enough. Perhaps there is something I am missing here. If you think so, maybe shoot me a PM? I promise I won't share your "secret". Again, no hard feelings. This is just something I feel passionate about because it seems so obvious to me.

Last edited by bfindeisen; 04-13-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #31
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

You are obviously very passionate about this. I'm not sure that calling people "dumb" and telling them to "use their brains" is the best approach, but hey, whatever works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #32
Rookie

GodOfNugget's Arena

Quote:
Objectively, it's not worth it. Especially when you're talking about market theory; if everyone did what you did, then we'd all make far less stubs. If everyone did it the rationale way, we'd all make more stubs in the aggregate. All of us. This is just fact.

I'm not gonna argue these points with you any more though, as it doesn't seem like you're willing at least try and understand what I'm saying.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying in any way to insult you, but this is something that I truly believe is non-debatable, so I hope you understand my passion.

Anyways, good luck with whatever approach you take. If this info registers with even a handful of people, we'll all benefit.
I completely understand what you're saying and I strongly agree with you. Undercutting by 1 stub is by far a more profitable for everyone as a whole if everyone does it. However, I do believe there are some assumptions you are making that work fantastically in theory, but do not always apply to a market like the community market in MLB 16 The Show.

Personally, I feel it is a little short-sighted to not at least consider that there may be situations where bidding/undercutting by a value greater than 1 would be an effective move. For instance, what if bidding by more than one "scares" away another bidder and you hold the top buy/sell order for an extended period of time? Of course, there is no way to know this but and in theory it would be always better to bid/undercut by 1 stub. I completely understand this works in theory but because of who (primairly teenagers), and how the market is managed, it's important to stray from theory. What if someone gets "scared" from a bid greater than 1 and bows out, allowing extended time in the top position? Also to mention the condition of the servers?

To me, there are just too many unnacounted variables in the community market for The Show to be making declarations like "bidding +/- 1 stub is always better" based on theory that applies to real-life markets. Nearly all the time it is more profitable to bid/undercut by 1 stub, but there are situations where not doing so may prove to be a more profitable move and with the userbase of MLB I'm sure these situations happen more than you'd think.

TL;DR: Real life economics don't necessarily apply to The Show 16 marketplace

Last edited by GodOfNugget; 04-13-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added a TL;DR

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »