Home

Bad Psychology in the Community Market

This is a discussion on Bad Psychology in the Community Market within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 3
re: Bad Psychology in the Community Market

I agree with the opening poster. When, I'm trading on the market, I'll sometimes come across people who will literally take a net loss just to beat my sell price.

This not only kills both our profits but collapses the price of the player, screwing over the person you did this to. You'll have people who, on a players with a buy now of 40k and a sell of 50k, will suddenly, after a few back and forths, sell theirs at 43k. Not only have you made it so that it's impossible for both of us to sell the card without taking a loss but now you've tanked the price of the card by 7k because every person from now on is going to post their card at 43k.

I'm not bidding or selling 1 stubs less than you to be a jerk. I'm doing it so that the player's price doesn't collapse. If you happen to have to have the lowest bid when someone purchases it, then congrats. But selling your card thousands less than my last sell price isn't scaring me off. You are just ruining the market.

Last edited by takki; 04-13-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #42
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Bad Psychology in the Community Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTIMidati0n
This seems pretty obvious to me. If I lower a card to the point where you do not want to go any lower because it will not profit you as much to sell, then I will sell my card before you. And the goal is to sell my card. Maybe I got my card for less than you and therefore I can afford to go lower than you can. Or maybe I just don't care to make as much of a profit as you do and therefore I can go lower than you are willing to.

I think, aside from the name calling, this is a good discussion. And I can definitely see both sides of the argument. It's just different people use the market differently.

I think the "one uppers" frustrate us as much as we seem to frustrate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that works if there is very few players in that card's market, but if you have multiple ppl trying to sell, you can't possibly know how low they're willing to go. What if they got it as a Reward and will go as low as it takes? It just seems like your approach, although seemingly beneficial in the short run, only hinders yourself in the long run. Isn't the overall goal not to sell your card, but to sell it for a maximum profit?
Old 04-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #43
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

re: Bad Psychology in the Community Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by takki
I agree with the opening poster. When, I'm trading on the market, I'll sometimes come across people who will literally take a net loss just to beat my sell price.

This not only kills both our profits but collapses the price of the player, screwing over the person you did this to.

I'm not bidding or selling 1 stubs less than you to be a jerk. I'm doing it so that the player's price doesn't collapse. If you happen to have to have the lowest bid when someone purchases it, then congrats. But selling your card thousands less than my last sell price isn't scaring me off. You are just ruining the market.

I'll never back off of a card no matter what you do unless you bid so high that I would take a loss if I placed a bid at a price higher than yours.
This exactly.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #44
Do Your Job

TheBigTee's Arena

OVR: 1
Bad Psychology in the Community Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
I think that works if there is very few players in that card's market, but if you have multiple ppl trying to sell, you can't possibly know how low they're willing to go. What if they got it as a Reward and will go as low as it takes? It just seems like your approach, although seemingly beneficial in the short run, only hinders yourself in the long run. Isn't the overall goal not to sell your card, but to sell it for a maximum profit?

Yeah I agree. My logic only really holds true if you're are going head to head with someone trying to sell a card. It was more of a simplistic approach to just play devils advocate.

I actually agree with you and tend to post more similar to you. I don't typically go 1 up or down, but maybe 2-4, usually to something that ends in 5,9, or 0.

For the most part I just post it at whatever I want to sell it at and let it sit overnight. If it doesn't sell I lower it. And do the same.

I used to be a big card flipper last year, but don't have enough time for that anymore (have a one year old). So I flip one or two cards overnight and call it a day.

Last edited by TheBigTee; 04-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #45
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I agree. My logic only really holds true if you're are going head to head with someone trying to sell a card. It was more of a simplistic approach to just play devils advocate.

I actually agree with you and tend to post more similar to you. I don't typically go 1 up or down, but maybe 2-4, usually to something that ends in 5,9, or 0.

For the most part I just post it at whatever I want to sell it at and let it sit overnight. If it doesn't sell I lower it. And do the same.

I used to be a big card flipper last year, but don't have enough time for that anymore (have a one year old). So I flip one or two cards overnight and call it a day.
Yeah that's the genesis of this thread, really. I got tired of having to work harder to make smaller profits when I thought everyone could just bid more intelligently to prevent everyone from having to do the same.

Congrats on the 1 year old! I don't know how you make any time...lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #46
Do Your Job

TheBigTee's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
Congrats on the 1 year old! I don't know how you make any time...lol

Thank you! Fortunately he's a good sleeper and he goes to bed around 7:00. That and a VERY understanding wife gives me some free time to play at night.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #47
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Thank you! Fortunately he's a good sleeper and he goes to bed around 7:00. That and a VERY understanding wife gives me some free time to play at night.
Well, sounds like you're living the dream, man!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0

The 10% hit and the game servers crashing along with inside edge really screws up the market....

The only constant profitable players are trout and harper and how much do people actually have the money to buy them?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »