Home

So what's the deal?

This is a discussion on So what's the deal? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
Rookie

Dag_BoomStick's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: So what's the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdclark
People who bunt cheese hit a skill cap. If you can push through the cheese, your rating will get you above those players, leaving them to bunt against each other.

I think I got lucky and mostly played against genuine players, and my rating seems to have stabilized in a good place.

If you can't beat the bunt cheese, let them mercy you, shake it off, and get back at it!
What would you say this rating is then. Currently I'm bouncing around between 1630-1670 and I'm just curious bc I don't see it that often compared to what I read of it on the forums. I see it sometimes but not that much.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag_BoomStick
What would you say this rating is then. Currently I'm bouncing around between 1630-1670 and I'm just curious bc I don't see it that often compared to what I read of it on the forums. I see it sometimes but not that much.
You could also just be getting lucky, me and my buddy would play a lot in other years, always ranked pretty much the same as we were both pretty good, wed talk while we played ranked games vs people and every game I played was against someone who constantly tried to bunt, meanwhile my buddy rarely played anyone who did it. And we only live like 30 miles apart so its not a regional thing. But with my pack luck and what not it certainly fits the theme that Id be the one stuck with all the bunt cheese crap haha
Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
Rookie

srdclark's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag_BoomStick
I'm just under 1600. I played against a guy yesterday with a bunter in the #2 position - every AB he would bunt/steal/steal and invariably score on a throwing error. I don't know why his bunter wasn't leading off. I wouldn't call any of what he did with the rest of his play cheesy, and I won 7-6 on the back of a late 3-run homer by Edwin.

FWIW I feel like overall, I am in a phase of seeing guys with diamond-stacked teams that feel like their play skill is similar to my own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #12
Rookie

Jonesy8642's Arena

It is really quite sad to me that people do in this in a game and find it satisfying to win this way. I've never understood the logic. I have Ichiro/Gordon/Marte to lead off my lineup, I find it funny that everyone changes to bunt defense on me and then when it gets slapped past them for an easy single.

Then I'll take a single step lead at first and they start just throwing fastballs all over the place thinking that I'm going to steal and catch me. Prince Fielder and Miguel Sano probably have 15 homers between them from just this weekend with one of those guys getting on base and just watching fastballs thrown all over the place.

Pitch 1 - Pitchout
Pitch 2 - High Fastball

2-0 count, they are worried about the steal still so they throw a high fastball for a strike and watch it fly!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy8642
It is really quite sad to me that people do in this in a game and find it satisfying to win this way. I've never understood the logic. I have Ichiro/Gordon/Marte to lead off my lineup, I find it funny that everyone changes to bunt defense on me and then when it gets slapped past them for an easy single.

Then I'll take a single step lead at first and they start just throwing fastballs all over the place thinking that I'm going to steal and catch me. Prince Fielder and Miguel Sano probably have 15 homers between them from just this weekend with one of those guys getting on base and just watching fastballs thrown all over the place.

Pitch 1 - Pitchout
Pitch 2 - High Fastball

2-0 count, they are worried about the steal still so they throw a high fastball for a strike and watch it fly!
What do you find sad? That people play bunt defense or that people abuse bunting?

I assume you're responding to the OP, but I pretty much set bunt defense against ANYBODY I play now unless I know the person on the other side is legit. If you beat me with the single past the 1B/3B then I'll take the L there, but nothing drives me crazier than seeing slow *** lefties lay down a bunt against the shift and have it work majestically every single time.

Last edited by ph33; 07-18-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy8642

Pitch 1 - Pitchout
Pitch 2 - High Fastball

People that play this have zero concept on how baseball actually works. When I used to play online I would laugh at how often people tried to pick me off when Ive had a random fat catcher on first after a single or something. Or the amount of times Ive gunned kids down trying to steal in the absolute dumbest spots. Youre down a handful of runs with no outs, why are you trying to steal a base? Its meaningless. It sucks that online gaming turned everyone into a mindless sheep that just plays the same way as everyone else. Obviously there are a few people left that play sports game in a normal manner, but we are definitely in the minority.

Oh and I forgot my personal favorite, the fake bunter to try and distract you so you throw balls or pitches down the middle I guess? I dunno Ive never understood that idea. I have a no hitter through 5 with 12 k's, its time to give up on that maybe try to get a hit.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
Rookie

Hoosierdaddy76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
People that play this have zero concept on how baseball actually works. When I used to play online I would laugh at how often people tried to pick me off when Ive had a random fat catcher on first after a single or something. Or the amount of times Ive gunned kids down trying to steal in the absolute dumbest spots. Youre down a handful of runs with no outs, why are you trying to steal a base? Its meaningless. It sucks that online gaming turned everyone into a mindless sheep that just plays the same way as everyone else. Obviously there are a few people left that play sports game in a normal manner, but we are definitely in the minority.

Oh and I forgot my personal favorite, the fake bunter to try and distract you so you throw balls or pitches down the middle I guess? I dunno Ive never understood that idea. I have a no hitter through 5 with 12 k's, its time to give up on that maybe try to get a hit.
I've completely stopped caring about my record at this point. If the person I'm playing starts cheesing, I immediately quit. SDS really need to do something about the effectiveness of bunts next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »