Home

Uniform templates need an upgrade

This is a discussion on Uniform templates need an upgrade within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Uniform templates need an upgrade

The uniform templates haven't been touched in years and have been growing increasingly stale.

Please correct me, but I believe the hat template is based on spring training hats from at least four years ago and the current uniforms templates go back as far.

From what I've experienced, it seems, in the absence of additional templates/options, individuals are seeking to differentiate themselves by creating the ugliest/most outlandish uniforms they can. But even those attempts fail. Given enough exposure they all blend together, formulating the greatest women's software uniform ever designed by the underworld. The overall DD uni experience is completely out of place with the rest of MLBTS.

While those who are hellbent on making eyes bleed will always exist, I'm certain an overall more palatable experience can be found by simply drawing on the rich history of MLB and NLB uniform templates. Simply providing the full range of contemporary options would be a significant upgrade. It's certainly not all inclusive, but Ebbets Flannels provides a flavor of the historical options.

I'm aware new fonts were added this year. While I applaud the attempt, from a traditional baseball perspective the fonts are a failure. I'm not advocating that the game should only limit itself to the historical baseball past. It should not. But the game also shouldn't ignore the richness of its past, which it is currently doing in regards to DD uniform options. I understand that there might be legal/licensing issues preventing adding the actual Red Sox font, but there are a number of similar and historical fonts which capture the same feel.

I want to see:
  • Multi-color/piping helmet and hat options. (e.g. Orioles and Blue Jays white front panel, Expos multi-color panels, St Louis Browns two-color piping down each panel)
  • Three color trim options (e.g. Expos original red, white, and blue trim. Blue Jays 90's blue, white, and light blue trim)
  • Solid color around the collar and down the front buttons, referring to historical examples of teams vertically labeling team name over buttons. http://oldtimebaseball.com/1920s-bacharach-giants/
  • shirt and sleeve side piping (e.g 86 Mets)
  • Belt loop piping (e.g. Braves)
  • Colored back pockets (e.g nearly every negro league team)
  • Stirrup striping patterns. The historical and contemporary options are numerous.
  • Sleeve logos
  • Fonts - some variant of Red Sox font http://www.trbimg.com/img-53d0041c/t...-leagues-video
  • Carry over logos and team profiles year to year. It takes too much time to create decent logos. Even as an individual who values uniforms and logos, I feel worn down having to do it again
  • Control over player shoe colors. Should I want to go with an old school look, Rizzo shouldn't ruin it with white cleats after I set the team default to black
  • Allow individuals to create/sell logos in game to other users for stubs
  • And make all the piping the same size. At present the multi-color collar, shirt, sleeve, and pants piping are all different sizes. It looks like garbage and is completely inaccurate. IRL all the piping is the same width. This isn't just a DD problem, as it exists with the in-game MLB uniforms and needs to be fixed across the board.

Last edited by fanofbaseball; 04-18-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

Re: Uniform templates need an upgrade

What, you don't like having a lack of updates? I love the two number templates.

I mean ffs you don't even have the bare minimum of the numbers and letters used by all the teams!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 6

I'd like to let them go the NBA 2K route where we can create the uniforms and logos online an any customized way that isn't offensive. Then upload those to the game. Would be a whole lot easier.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

The uniform creation needed to be done this year but for sure next. It's just far to limited

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdfc
What, you don't like having a lack of updates? I love the two number templates.

I mean ffs you don't even have the bare minimum of the numbers and letters used by all the teams!
Good observation. We need far more options in regards to number fonts and, minimally, the option for three color numbers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

I would like to see two changes to the uniform creation program, namely:

1. An alternate hat used by some old teams which was more like a cylinder with the possibility of horizontal rings; and
2. The possibility to override individual player sock/pants preferences so that for ones Diamond Dynasty team, for instance, one could have all their players with high socks. This was the usual uniform for teams around the time that the National League was first founded. As it is now ones team has a variety of sock types based on the preferences of the individual players. It would be good to have the possibility of sock/pants uniformity.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karle
I would like to see two changes to the uniform creation program, namely:

1. An alternate hat used by some old teams which was more like a cylinder with the possibility of horizontal rings; and
2. The possibility to override individual player sock/pants preferences so that for ones Diamond Dynasty team, for instance, one could have all their players with high socks. This was the usual uniform for teams around the time that the National League was first founded. As it is now ones team has a variety of sock types based on the preferences of the individual players. It would be good to have the possibility of sock/pants uniformity.
Both of those are clutch. Old Pirates had the commie-style hat. And I want my entire team following my dress code.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

I would also like to see them add voice files for more old team names like GRAYS (A number of teams used this name including Louisville Grays), RED STOCKINGS (old name for Braves), WHITE STOCKINGS (old name for Cubs) as well as names for teams from the old negro leagues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »