Home

Pack odds.

This is a discussion on Pack odds. within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Pack odds.

This is my first year w this game. But I've done the 2k Myteam thing for years.

Everyone knows that packs are fun to open and generally a ginormous waste of $$.

When I bought The Show, I bought a 50box. I have earned the 10box from Conquest. And I've gotten a few free packs, as well as opened 1 or 2 a day just for kicks. I have also bought 8 of the Bases Loaded packs.

I've yet to pull a player above a silver. This isn't me whining that I spent money and didn t pull Trout. Its basically about keeping packs fun. I'm not going to say that I'm never opening a pack again, or that I won't go get 20psn card when I get my next bonus check.

My point is that packs could probably make a lot more money for Sony if pack odds were boosted a little. Because at this point, I would MUCH rather take my purchased Stubs right to the market to buy the player I want, rather than peeling nerfed packs. (This is actually where I prefer the system over 2Ks bc you can use purchased currency to buy players, rather than trying to turn VC into MT....but also relies on packs to convert VC to MT).

Again. Not throwing a tantrum. This is more of a heads up to any devs that may be watching. Bottom line, youd get more of my money if the best thing I got from a 50box wasn't the 7 guaranteed silvers. Its actually kind of laughable when you look at the value of silvers in the Market. Like "oh gee thanks". Lol

Anyways. Thoughts....?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

Re: Pack odds.

I liked when the first bases loaded packs came out, and i didn't get a player above silver. had stuff like Double rate for diamond and triple for gold
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Rookie

My thoughts align with yours. I also bought a 50 pack, and with all the preorder rewards, conquest rewards and various packs received for playing, I am also yet to see a single gold player in them (not even dreaming of diamonds).
And same as you, I am not complaining, but that experience, coupled with server troubles caused me to withdraw already planned funds for another 50 pack.

I know I can and should just chalk it up to rotten luck, but I definitely have an unsubstantiated suspicion that this year's packs have been nerfed when compared to the past. Mostly because golds and diamonds cost so much on the market.
I remember last year being able to complete all teams with much less trouble and at much lower prices. This year, that goal seems impossible. Of course, I don't expect to have all possible cards by April 17, but at current prices it seems that even August 17 is out of reach.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Pro

@yelch
I've had my suspicions that 2k has an algorithm tying odds to market value. Just a thought. I can't confirm either way. Logically speaking, it's probably true. As with just about any game with packs and a market to sell items. But users over at the 2k forum here have claimed that there is an algo that ties odds to money spent. Another claim that I cannot confirm. And I actually doubt that one, although I have had my suspicions...

Its a business, and 21st century *successful business models ....related to anything technology, are born in Silicon Valley. That's a conversation for another day. But worth noting that basically anything you could think of regarding how the game works.....has probably been thought of.

And please don't take this thread for any more than face value. I was in the middle of pack drama on the 2k forum, and I don't want to stir things up like I did there.

Tldr.....if I pulled 1 gold in ~100 packs, it would be cool.

The mission and reward system in the game is so good and plentiful though, that packs aren't really a concern to me. Sell dupes and work the market for an hour. Boom. There's an easy gold.

/ramble
Old 04-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Rookie

Starducket Moon's Arena

I bought two ten packs to go along with my starter packs. I got nothing above silver. Then I went and sold all my doubles and got another 10 pack. My silver player was a diamond Lindor. I also got a gold Freeman and a gold Longoria. It's just like a lottery. It's worth it to buy packs now while your inventory is low and the price of gold players are still high. Later when the costs even out it's worth it more to just buy the individual cards you need.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Pretty much every single common or bronze player can be sold for about 100 stubs, so even if you get "nothing" from a pack, you still can recoup about two thirds of what you paid for it by selling the 6 players and discarding or selling the equipment/stadium. So in reality, a 50k pack, even if you didn't get a single silver, would net you maybe 35k+ in sellable cards. When you realise that, you start to realise why the odds of getting a diamond or even a gold are so low.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
Pretty much every single common or bronze player can be sold for about 100 stubs, so even if you get "nothing" from a pack, you still can recoup about two thirds of what you paid for it by selling the 6 players and discarding or selling the equipment/stadium. So in reality, a 50k pack, even if you didn't get a single silver, would net you maybe 35k+ in sellable cards. When you realise that, you start to realise why the odds of getting a diamond or even a gold are so low.
I agree and this is what makes it so fun for me. Now that I have a team I like, I flip cards til 20k, open a 20 pack bundle, and even when I get all bronze/common, I make back at LEAST 10k, so worst case scenario I just flip cards for another 10k and repeat the process. It's very entertaining and sometimes it pays off big time. My best 20 pack bundle I pulled a diamond equipment , trea turner, starling marte and diamond polo grounds. I made like 65-70k, finished a few sets and had 20k leftover to repeat the process. I understand getting frustrated opening so many packs and never getting a diamond player, but if you enjoy flipping cards like I do it's not so bad.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #8
Rookie

I've extensively played Ultimate Team in FIFA, NHL, and Madden, MyTeam in NBA 2K, and I've played DD every year that it's been in The Show and I can say without a shadow of doubt that this has the worst pack odds, by far.

On top of that, it's also the only game that has only one currency, meaning the stubs you purchase with real cash can also be used in the auction house. Therefore, and unfortunately, it's always "correct" to just buy players directly as opposed to messing with packs. So if you wanted to drop 100 bucks on 150k stubs you'll get infinitely more value just using them in the AH directly vs getting pack bundles.

I agree that this is also way less fun, but that doesn't mean throwing money away on packs is the better option, it just isn't. Personally, I've tried to find a happy medium of sorts by using stubs to do team collections and epics, which is far more entertaining and rewarding than just buying my whole team from the AH and actually presents a much better value as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »