Home

Ranked Seasons: Tips for Improving your Game Quickly

This is a discussion on Ranked Seasons: Tips for Improving your Game Quickly within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #17
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ranked Seasons: Tips for Improving your Game Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedaussie
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post here.

Has anyone else been getting a tonne of lost connections in the last few days ? Every ranked seasons game i play is getting lost connection in the first inning every game and gives me the loss everytime but my rating doesn't go down. I get item rewards after playing conquest or play vs cpu so i can't figure out if it's server issues or something on my end.
I have not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were still an issue.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmundFraud
Sorry for the long post, but I see a lot of people saying they're stuck or they'll never make it past xyz-rating. I wanted to offer some basic tips to quickly improve your game if you feel stuck. The tips are pretty basic, but if you're not doing these things it's more than likely why you're not moving up.

Some basic tips:

1) Most basic tip: use zone hitting and analog pitching. If you want to be highly competitive you absolutely have to use these. They're both an adjustment, but they will improve your game. Lots of people like meter pitching but it's just not as good, use analog.

2) It's vital to be able to hit lefty-lefty and righty-righty. I've manhandled a number of opponents trying to make it to WS simply because they butcher their lineup early in the game by pinch hitting based on handiness. Practice lefty-lefty, it pays off being able to save those elite pinch hitters for clutch situations.

3) Make sure you're playing on a decent TV, good luck hitting those high and tight fastballs on a massive tv or a tv with high response time.

4) Don't fall in love with your team rating or diamond players. Most of the guys I play against that are actually good don't have teams loaded with diamonds. Always use players you play well with (obviously). Use players with good inside edge ratings, IMO this is the best strategy. It keeps things fresh and it increases the likelihood of you finding a player you love.

5) Last tip: the way to playing better is not spending money to improve your team. I promise you, if you're struggling it's not because your team isn't good enough. Don't fall into the trap of spending money on stubs to buy players because you think that's what will put you over the top. It may help a little, but you'd be better off spending that money on something like some Kontrolfreeks or a cheap gaming monitor (mine was only $80 and it's wonderful). Spending money to buy players just starts the vicious cycle of "if I buy one more, THEN I'll make it to the next level"

I will reiterate: Make sure you're playing on a good tv. Changing this can solve some hitting problems almost immediately.

Any other tips you guys have I'd be happy to see.

What Kontrolfreaks do you think are best?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
Rookie

SigmundFraud's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkatz
What Kontrolfreaks do you think are best?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I'm no expert as I've only tried one kind, but the CQCx's have worked just fine for me. They work well with other games too. I think they were about $10 on amazon.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Ive caved on just about everything else this year sadly, that is the change im still trying to avoid though. I hate the idea that in order to be competitive I have to play with certain settings like that strike zone camera or analog pitching but you really do. I constantly hang pitches with meter where I get a perfect release and try to bury something offspeed but it just goes down the middle, its infuriating.
I am slowly learning analog pitching in play vs CPU games.
I am having similar frustrations with meter as you are having.
Another thing that drives me nuts with meter is if I am trying to throw slightly off the plate (a purposeful ball) and the ball goes 2 feet outside/inside and doesn't even tempt the hitter.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #21
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

I feel like I have less control with analog pitching. With meter I like pacing with low energy pitches until I need to ramp it up. I don't know if that's something I can do, because I threw 96-97 with every fastball as Eovaldi. I also don't really have the thumb accuracy to throw balls exactly where I want them. that thumb issue is the same one I have with PCI hitting
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #22
Rookie

How does the rating system work ? I had a game where i lost 54 ranking points in a 1-0 loss and then in my next two games i won 11-0 and 8-3 and only went up 30 points between the two of them :/
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #23
Rookie

SigmundFraud's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedaussie
How does the rating system work ? I had a game where i lost 54 ranking points in a 1-0 loss and then in my next two games i won 11-0 and 8-3 and only went up 30 points between the two of them :/

It's based on your opponents rating. For example: if you were ranked 900 and lost to someone at like 800 you would go down ~20 points. If you were to beat them you would go up 7-10 points.

I cant 100% confirm if margin of victory impacts rating points, but I don't think that it does.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
Rookie

This is a great thread.

There's some points that have been brought up here that are excellent, whoever it was the specified not being afraid to walk players when pitching, great point. Most people you play against are not wanting to walk, they want to do something to improve their stats so they're looking to swing. I live on the corners and have pretty good success pitching.

As for hitting, I hit using directional and sometimes switch to zone. I'm not a great hitter. But what took me from being a terrible hitter to an average one was really just going up and looking for one specific pitch. I usually just go up and hunt fastball or offspeed. Sure sometimes I get fooled, but even when I'm down 0-2 I still hunt one pitch. I figure there's not much difference if I strikeout hunting a specific pitch or hit a weak grounder or popout trying to react to what their throwing. Now this changes a bit with certain situations and certain hitters. But most of the time, I'm looking for a ball I can drive. Runners on and less then 2 outs, this changes and I'll look more for contact. But if I got a runner on first or the bases empty, I'm basically looking to go yard or a gapper at a minimum.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »