Home

Tips on stealing

This is a discussion on Tips on stealing within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tips on stealing

Hi guys,

Just looking for some general tips on stealing. I'm at the point where I need to be getting some steals to grind programs and I'm not very efficient at the moment, even with guys that have good stealing stats.

For context - I use Auto Baserunning and play only offline. I hope to extend to online one day once I get better but I'm just not good enough at the moment.

At the moment I've just been tapping L2 a couple of times as the pitcher is getting ready to pitch to indicate I want them to try to steal and my results have been very hit and miss. Is this because there is a trick to the timing that I need to be doing rather than just randomly mashing L2? Or is the CPU just playing mind games with me?

Cheers
MD4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Tips on stealing

After tapping L2 hold L1 down until the pitcher goes into his motion before releasing it, not going to be successful 100% of the time but if your baserunners have decent speed or baserunning attributes you'll be successful at least 80% of the time. I think last year it was an exploit so i only use it for grinding offline.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavo4
Or is the CPU just playing mind games with me?
Sorry I am of no help but I am here to confirm that this is probably true. The CPU always seems to have a psychic ability to know when you're stealing and not stealing, even if you don't lead off. It's infuriating on higher difficulties.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

The computer won't pitch from the stretch if they have 2 strikes or balls, so that makes it a very easy time to steal as some of the windups are so long anyone could jog to 2nd.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Pro

shark547's Arena

Since this is a stealing thread....can someone explain how to steal with men on 1st and second. Every time I do it my guy on 1st steals second and the guy on second just sits there.

Also men on 1st and 3rd....dude always breaks for home....frustrating.....

I have had pretty good luck with the 2 strike 2 ball thing except I started knocking out some of the All Star team epics and I am getting picked off a lot now.

On the bright side I now have 3 pick offs this year! Which are the first 3 ever....lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Chaos Theory

19's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547
Since this is a stealing thread....can someone explain how to steal with men on 1st and second. Every time I do it my guy on 1st steals second and the guy on second just sits there.

Also men on 1st and 3rd....dude always breaks for home....frustrating.....

I have had pretty good luck with the 2 strike 2 ball thing except I started knocking out some of the All Star team epics and I am getting picked off a lot now.

On the bright side I now have 3 pick offs this year! Which are the first 3 ever....lol
To steal with runners on 1st and 2nd, just hit R2, both runners should advance.

To steal with a runner on 1st and 3rd, move the left analog stick towards 1st and R2, and only the runner on 1st will steal.

That's how do it using directional hitting and auto baserunning, and I never take the extra lead.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #7
Pro

shark547's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19
To steal with runners on 1st and 2nd, just hit R2, both runners should advance.

To steal with a runner on 1st and 3rd, move the left analog stick towards 1st and R2, and only the runner on 1st will steal.

That's how do it using directional hitting and auto baserunning, and I never take the extra lead.
That is the thing. I am only pointing to the guy at 1st when 1st and 3rd and it still happens every time. Driving me nuts! lol

I will try just hitting R2 with men on 1st and second. I was trying to do the guy and second and then the guy on first.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Rookie

bryan_nelson88's Arena

You have to remain patient and try to never steal on the same pitch every time. One thing that it has helped me with is taking more quality at bats.

When I first started the game this year, I used to always take off on the first pitch, but a lot of the times the CPU knew what I was doing and tried to pitch out. Granted I would still make it because my player has 93 speed, but still. Now I try to mix things up and wait a pitch or two. It's definitely helped me, especially against higher difficulties.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »