Home

Newbie tips for Online DD?

This is a discussion on Newbie tips for Online DD? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2020, 03:42 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Newbie tips for Online DD?

Finally took the plunge and tried some online DD games in the Ranked seasons mode. Win or lose I just want to have a good game w/ the other opponent. You know, baseball! In the past I've avoided the mode because like every other ranked online 'ultimate team' its all about winning and you have people who exploit the game.

But since we're in the beginning of the show 20 , the teams i've played are fairly ranked at my level (low 80s) and have similar non-diamond players like I do.

I'm finding out my players that go good offline aren't doing as well online, especially some of the silver players.

I'll try to udpdate to gold players but any tips for online DD? More like what's the best camera angle to use? I think that's a big thing since you need more time to read the pitch. I've used Zoom, Show 15, Retro for offline but are those any good for online? I guess maybe the fisheye is good? what are your thoughts?

Also, I am terrible at Zone hitting so what's better online, directional or analog?

Any other tips appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
MVP

papadell's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Newbie tips for Online DD?

Most competitive players use strike zone for hitting and analogue pitching. I use strike zone 2 personally I like it much more than strike zone. I use meter pitching and always will but pitching is so random it doesn't really matter. Really you just need to find a camera that you like and keep using it to get comfortable. It took me a while to get used to try strike zone views but you really do need them online. Between the wildly varied speeds you'll see and people quick pitching every pitch it's valuable to see the ball as well as possible.

I use fish eye 2 I think for pitching. I switch this view every once in a while but I like this view as I see the runner on first and just like the presentation of the plate.

Directional isn't as easy to use as a lot of people say. So I would recommend analogue hitting instead. I actually REALLY enjoy the feel of analogue but the game is geared towards zone to be competitive so I don't use analogue online. It I end up in had slumps I might experiment with a different view and analogue to get my timing but overall it's easily better than directional. Try them all out though and see what you like the most. This game is all about feel so do what works for you.

The absolute best advice I can give is to try and not get frustrated which is HILARIOUS coming from me but I know I get tilted with this game. Watching the gameplay just be... broken can dishearten even the most well meaning player. This game will piss you off the more you play online because stuff happens that just doesn't make sense. Even in the wild world of baseball.

Having said that you will absolutely read me complain about the game so maybe I'm not the best advice giver
Old 03-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Camera is going to be all about what you feel good with, there is no true answer for what to use there online. I would not use directional hitting online though, try to get used to zone or do analog.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
MVP

Thanks for the tips. I tried a few and played some real jerk online just now.

He kept trying to take extra bases and I kept throwing him out. For relievers he kept using starters. I didnt know they allowed this online DD to use starters when you have a full bullpen available.

He went up 8-3 on me and thought I would quit but I didnt. I figured out his pitch style where he would always pitch balls in the dirt first two pitches so i didnt swing. then he kept walking me where I took the lead in one inning coming all way way back. I ended up winning 10-9 and it was really sweet.

But at the same time it soured me to online DD again because I want to play an opponent with some kind of baseball IQ. This guy should have easily beat me if he didnt try to take every extra base and try to score from 2nd on a ground out throw to first. Crap like this just bugs me. I would rather lose against a guy who knows how to play the game of baseball than win against a guy like this.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
Thanks for the tips. I tried a few and played some real jerk online just now.

He kept trying to take extra bases and I kept throwing him out. For relievers he kept using starters. I didnt know they allowed this online DD to use starters when you have a full bullpen available.

He went up 8-3 on me and thought I would quit but I didnt. I figured out his pitch style where he would always pitch balls in the dirt first two pitches so i didnt swing. then he kept walking me where I took the lead in one inning coming all way way back. I ended up winning 10-9 and it was really sweet.

But at the same time it soured me to online DD again because I want to play an opponent with some kind of baseball IQ. This guy should have easily beat me if he didnt try to take every extra base and try to score from 2nd on a ground out throw to first. Crap like this just bugs me. I would rather lose against a guy who knows how to play the game of baseball than win against a guy like this.
And this is why a lot of us dont play online. Almost every random person you encounter is a massive try hard that plays as if their life depends on them getting a win in the most annoying and moronic way possible
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Rookie

buziii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
And this is why a lot of us dont play online. Almost every random person you encounter is a massive try hard that plays as if their life depends on them getting a win in the most annoying and moronic way possible
Ya know...I read this a lot in this forum and other MLBTS forums. I'm not a great player, and don't try to be. I could previously never win online when I tried, but played it more last season. I wound up winning about 50% of my RS games and 40% of Event games.

In my experience, the online jerk idea is a massive exaggeration. I've experienced it, but I bet over 90% of my online competition has not been that way.

Am I just lucky, or is this another online forum exaggeration?

Last edited by buziii; 03-16-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
MVP

papadell's Arena

Both. Slight exaggeration plus luck. I've played every multiplayer game under the sun and have dealt with trolling of every kind.

Somehow this game seems to have the worst kind. Between people pausing for minutes at a time to try and get you to quit, baserunning cheese, people trying to friendly quit glitch you and all kinds of stuff it really does get exhausting. If games weren't 9 innings it might not be as bad but investing 1 hour per game to run into the ridiculous stuff on top of the inconsistent gameplay (at least last year) it ends up being pretty ***
Old 03-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #8
MVP

Question Re: Newbie tips for Online DD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buziii
Ya know...I read this a lot in this forum and other MLBTS forums. I'm not a great player, and don't try to be. I could previously never win online when I tried, but played it more last season. I wound up winning about 50% of my RS games and 40% of Event games.

In my experience, the online jerk idea is a massive exaggeration. I've experienced it, but I bet over 90% of my online competition has not been that way.

Am I just lucky, or is this another online forum exaggeration?
In 19 I did the head to head online. not the DD one, but the one where you play the real clubs. In those games, I would say 90 percent of the opponents were terrific. They managed their teams like a real baseball manager would and most of the games were competitive. And those that were not it was ok because the other opponent wasnt exploiting the game.

I think when it comes to DD and other ultimate team type of games the jerks really come noticeable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »