Home

has anyone stopped playing?

This is a discussion on has anyone stopped playing? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: has anyone stopped playing?

I've decided to be much more casual about the game and don't really plan on playing competitive online games again. I'm enjoying playing vs CPU with lineups drawn entirely from whichever team I need for the daily innings mission. I use my best squad in Conquest and against the CPU when I need to win for a program. I'm also trying out some other things with different lineups, mostly using lower rated cards from teams I like, in games against the CPU. I still wish there was a little more to accomplish offline in terms of stats but orienting lineups toward specific teams and affinity points helps give those games some meaning, in addition to just keeping the fun of the game at its best.

That said, my experience this year is another good reminder that I really should not allow myself to buy stubs even once.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunopuntzjones
I've decided to be much more casual about the game and don't really plan on playing competitive online games again. I'm enjoying playing vs CPU with lineups drawn entirely from whichever team I need for the daily innings mission. I use my best squad in Conquest and against the CPU when I need to win for a program. I'm also trying out some other things with different lineups, mostly using lower rated cards from teams I like, in games against the CPU. I still wish there was a little more to accomplish offline in terms of stats but orienting lineups toward specific teams and affinity points helps give those games some meaning, in addition to just keeping the fun of the game at its best.

That said, my experience this year is another good reminder that I really should not allow myself to buy stubs even once.
This is what I did a lot of last year....mixing/matching teams.

I created a lot of theme teams consisting of using any players that played for a given franchise (e.g. Christy Matthewson and his 8 total innings pitched for Cincy was eligible for the Reds "Theme Team"). It got to be fun researching guys (I think I literally created an entire Marlins theme team without using a single Marlins team card....lol...and it was pretty darn good too).
Old 06-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
This is what I did a lot of last year....mixing/matching teams.

I created a lot of theme teams consisting of using any players that played for a given franchise (e.g. Christy Matthewson and his 8 total innings pitched for Cincy was eligible for the Reds "Theme Team"). It got to be fun researching guys (I think I literally created an entire Marlins theme team without using a single Marlins team card....lol...and it was pretty darn good too).

That sounds pretty awesome. While I miss the stat grinds from 18 for giving meaning to offline play, there's a lot of fun stuff you can do for the love of the game. Once you remove yourself from that ratrace of sorts, it's way more fun.

The thing I really want is to be able to play a meaningful amount of games with every card I collect. Unfortunately sometimes (especially if you get sucked into stubs) you just wind up with too much, too soon to make that work.

I've already sketched out a strategy next year so I can try to at least maximize use of the legend/flashback cards you can get for free or through offline accomplishments, lol. Like making sure you take busted Mets Willie Mays from the silver/bronze pack before you get him from Conquest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Honestly, from day 1 this never felt like a new game to me, it just felt like a continuation of last years game. Same innings programs, same TA, same Mto, same XP path, just with different rewards. As a result, I've gotten bored real quick, it just never felt new or interesting. The fact that the offline content is so terrible hasn't helped, I genuinely don't think I've ever fielded my best team offline at any point.

Have I stopped playing though? Not completely, but I feel like I am doing the bare minimum to not miss out, while not enjoying any of it. No idea why I am even doing that tbh other than some weird fear that at some point I might want to play and I don't want to have missed out on time sensitive stuff (a horrible idea that they put in last year)
Old 06-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunopuntzjones
That sounds pretty awesome. While I miss the stat grinds from 18 for giving meaning to offline play, there's a lot of fun stuff you can do for the love of the game. Once you remove yourself from that ratrace of sorts, it's way more fun.

The thing I really want is to be able to play a meaningful amount of games with every card I collect. Unfortunately sometimes (especially if you get sucked into stubs) you just wind up with too much, too soon to make that work.

I've already sketched out a strategy next year so I can try to at least maximize use of the legend/flashback cards you can get for free or through offline accomplishments, lol. Like making sure you take busted Mets Willie Mays from the silver/bronze pack before you get him from Conquest.
The main thing I've done this year is to focus on an all-80s/90s team (plus an all-Reds team). So, focusing on just players who played primarily in those decades (the guys I watched when I fell in love with baseball). It's kinda sucked a bit because of SO much content geared around those Future Stars/Rookies but it has been picking up lately. I'm getting to the point where I may have an "A" squad and a "B" Squad too - just with some crossover in the relief corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
Honestly, from day 1 this never felt like a new game to me, it just felt like a continuation of last years game. Same innings programs, same TA, same Mto, same XP path, just with different rewards. As a result, I've gotten bored real quick, it just never felt new or interesting. The fact that the offline content is so terrible hasn't helped, I genuinely don't think I've ever fielded my best team offline at any point.

Have I stopped playing though? Not completely, but I feel like I am doing the bare minimum to not miss out, while not enjoying any of it. No idea why I am even doing that tbh other than some weird fear that at some point I might want to play and I don't want to have missed out on time sensitive stuff (a horrible idea that they put in last year)
We're kinda alike there. I mean, I've not touched the monthly programs, I've touched less than half of the player programs, completed 2 conquest maps, and barely started the Jackie program (even though that might be the most diverse program thus far).

I have my routine each night: do my daily exchange and play 1 or 2 franchise games. Coupled with the 70 stars for Showdown, and I hit 300 easy....or at least get into range where completing a conquest map or program gets me there.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #14
MVP

papadell's Arena

I uninstalled like 3 weeks ago and haven't looked back. Just not doing it again this year dealing with the wildly inconsistent gameplay online and pissing myself off when I know what to expect. Ranked Seasons is the only real mode you can even use the cards you're spending money and time on and with online playing the way it is does I just have zero desire.

This latest update is WILD to me. It's just a fresh coat of paint and doesn't do anything to mitigate the issues everyone has had. It took 5 minutes of watching a stream to see that hitting is still random. So it wasn't just the game "pulling the wrong" feedback: it's just random. They even said pitch location is a big factor in hit result and pitching is more random than ever.

If they added something akin to 2K's Domination mode where you can use your team to play vs CPU for different rewards across different difficulties I might be interested in playing again. But even if they did that there's still a finite amount of games. If they opened up Moments and things like that to let you use your team like 2K then I'd definitely play offline still. I would even still buy stubs to get cards I want.

But as of now I've just been lurking hoping that I see some changes. But I don't see that happening. Still not going to forgive them for the blatant bait and switch with hitting in the beginning of the year. It would take a lot for them to get me to buy 21 at this point but if they're going to put out updates like the recent ones that are just smoke and mirrors then what chances are there the next gen consoles bring significant changes.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
I uninstalled like 3 weeks ago and haven't looked back. Just not doing it again this year dealing with the wildly inconsistent gameplay online and pissing myself off when I know what to expect. Ranked Seasons is the only real mode you can even use the cards you're spending money and time on and with online playing the way it is does I just have zero desire.

This latest update is WILD to me. It's just a fresh coat of paint and doesn't do anything to mitigate the issues everyone has had. It took 5 minutes of watching a stream to see that hitting is still random. So it wasn't just the game "pulling the wrong" feedback: it's just random. They even said pitch location is a big factor in hit result and pitching is more random than ever.

If they added something akin to 2K's Domination mode where you can use your team to play vs CPU for different rewards across different difficulties I might be interested in playing again. But even if they did that there's still a finite amount of games. If they opened up Moments and things like that to let you use your team like 2K then I'd definitely play offline still. I would even still buy stubs to get cards I want.

But as of now I've just been lurking hoping that I see some changes. But I don't see that happening. Still not going to forgive them for the blatant bait and switch with hitting in the beginning of the year. It would take a lot for them to get me to buy 21 at this point but if they're going to put out updates like the recent ones that are just smoke and mirrors then what chances are there the next gen consoles bring significant changes.
the way you are, and most people are with the hitting, is the way I am with pitching. I use pulse. Stop telling me my location is "good" only to have the pitch i place down and in, go up the middle, or way outside. Especially if my pitcher has 90 plus control.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzojoe
the way you are, and most people are with the hitting, is the way I am with pitching. I use pulse. Stop telling me my location is "good" only to have the pitch i place down and in, go up the middle, or way outside. Especially if my pitcher has 90 plus control.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Operation Sports mobile app
pulse i find to be the most random of all the pitching interfaces. i use meter as i used it from the very beginning of playing the show. i have tried analog and i just dont understand it. but using meter and getting perfect line should mean perfect spot but some how it gets hung and no where near the location. i wont lie, id like another option of baseball game. rbi doesnt count, its so bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »