Home

What do you do for timing/approach?

This is a discussion on What do you do for timing/approach? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
What do you do for timing/approach?

I've tried a number of things and they usually work... Until they dont

I've tried click click click in two ways. One that begins with the breaking of the Pitchers hands and one that begins with the extension of the Pitchers front leg. The hand break seems inconsistent for Pitchers where the leg extension seems a bit more consistent but I'm usually very early on stuff

I've also seen you can time the hitters front leg step. This works well for timing but it's hard to keep locked in on the ball for pci placement so I end up swinging at a lot of sliders and change ups out of the zone. I play in a 75 inch TV, just bought a monitor so maybe it'll be easier to see both on a smaller screen

Then approach, I've been watching cbrev videos and when I try and be patient I end up with 2 strikes all the time and I instantly become less patient.

In a older video he also said try taking for two strikes, next batter one strike, 3rd batter look first pitch... And that worked alright.

I know a number of people look fastball every pitch and just react. I've watched some of the twitch guys this week and most of them seem to be reacting more than sitting in a zone.

Looking for more ideas to try out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: What do you do for timing/approach?

my approach isnt that good but i just try and do the 123 count thing like when they start the wind up is 1 and then lift the front leg is 2 and then 3 is when their front foot is coming down it doesnt work on some of the pitchers but im also very impatient so that prolly is alot of my problem
Old 07-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
MVP

papadell's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValhallaVikings
I've tried a number of things and they usually work... Until they dont

I've tried click click click in two ways. One that begins with the breaking of the Pitchers hands and one that begins with the extension of the Pitchers front leg. The hand break seems inconsistent for Pitchers where the leg extension seems a bit more consistent but I'm usually very early on stuff

I've also seen you can time the hitters front leg step. This works well for timing but it's hard to keep locked in on the ball for pci placement so I end up swinging at a lot of sliders and change ups out of the zone. I play in a 75 inch TV, just bought a monitor so maybe it'll be easier to see both on a smaller screen

Then approach, I've been watching cbrev videos and when I try and be patient I end up with 2 strikes all the time and I instantly become less patient.

In a older video he also said try taking for two strikes, next batter one strike, 3rd batter look first pitch... And that worked alright.

I know a number of people look fastball every pitch and just react. I've watched some of the twitch guys this week and most of them seem to be reacting more than sitting in a zone.

Looking for more ideas to try out
The "click" or counting method never worked for me, or in real life, as I think my attention span just can't handle it for whatever reason. When I played, I didn't really count anything from the pitcher I just watched their windup and timed my rhythm with theirs. Pitch recognition is important no matter what, but that's how I did it and I was a pretty good hitter.

In-game I do something similar to emulate this. I bounce my PCI in step with the pitcher's rhythm until I just get the rhythm down. Since this is a video game and things like fatigue won't change this timing throughout the game, it's robotic and 100% the same each pitch, it helps me really lock in on timing.

From there, I just have to make sure I locate the release point (like the literal pixel the ball comes out) and then make sure I'm just reading the pitches and I'm good.

So instead of counting 1-2-3 or saying click at different parts in the windup, I just bounce the PCI down in-rhythm and let it come back to center. Then down again etc. depending on the windup.

Idk if that makes sense typing it out like that but that's what I do.

In terms of approach, patience really is the key if you don't have elite PCI placement and square up 90% of the pitches you see. You also have to be careful just taking two strikes. If you do it all game then a good pitcher will know how to exploit that. You have to learn to pick your spots.

CBrev has really good insight and is by-far my favorite content creator. He creates the type of content I wish I had the patience/time to make. It's methodical and real-world content that can help, not just mindless drivel and sex jokes. But in terms of his approach, I think he takes 2 strikes the first inning with every hitter and I think pretty much for the second inning too.

You get 3 strikes. And you shouldn't be afraid of striking out. Too often people will chase the breaking balls low and out of the zone because they look so good with the way the cameras are in the game. Try to focus on "your pitch" and only swing at that until you have 2 strikes. And even with 2 strikes just protect the plate and foul off whatever you can until you get that pitch up to drive. God knows the game will eventually send you one down the middle so that's what you should look for.

In this case, try to identify the areas you excel at getting your PCI to. I'm sure we all have certain things we do that lead to us naturally being better at hitting certain pitches. That's your pitch. Don't even think about swinging early in the count unless you see it.

Two strikes doesn't mean you have to swing at everything. And make sure you're keen to how the pitcher is performing. Is your opponent controlling their pitcher well and throwing lots of strikes/dotting you up? Then maybe you need to be a little more aggressive.

Or are they just going through the motions and throwing garbage and you're swinging? At that point, shrink your zone and really look for your pitch. LOTS of people panic in this game when they start throwing balls and don't want to walk people and will spam fastballs up in the zone.

That's when you pounce.

Last edited by papadell; 07-27-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
The "click" or counting method never worked for me, or in real life, as I think my attention span just can't handle it for whatever reason. When I played, I didn't really count anything from the pitcher I just watched their windup and timed my rhythm with theirs. Pitch recognition is important no matter what, but that's how I did it and I was a pretty good hitter.

In-game I do something similar to emulate this. I bounce my PCI in step with the pitcher's rhythm until I just get the rhythm down. Since this is a video game and things like fatigue won't change this timing throughout the game, it's robotic and 100% the same each pitch, it helps me really lock in on timing.

From there, I just have to make sure I locate the release point (like the literal pixel the ball comes out) and then make sure I'm just reading the pitches and I'm good.

So instead of counting 1-2-3 or saying click at different parts in the windup, I just bounce the PCI down in-rhythm and let it come back to center. Then down again etc. depending on the windup.

Idk if that makes sense typing it out like that but that's what I do.

In terms of approach, patience really is the key if you don't have elite PCI placement and square up 90% of the pitches you see. You also have to be careful just taking two strikes. If you do it all game then a good pitcher will know how to exploit that. You have to learn to pick your spots.

CBrev has really good insight and is by-far my favorite content creator. He creates the type of content I wish I had the patience/time to make. It's methodical and real-world content that can help, not just mindless drivel and sex jokes. But in terms of his approach, I think he takes 2 strikes the first inning with every hitter and I think pretty much for the second inning too.

You get 3 strikes. And you shouldn't be afraid of striking out. Too often people will chase the breaking balls low and out of the zone because they look so good with the way the cameras are in the game. Try to focus on "your pitch" and only swing at that until you have 2 strikes. And even with 2 strikes just protect the plate and foul off whatever you can until you get that pitch up to drive. God knows the game will eventually send you one down the middle so that's what you should look for.

In this case, try to identify the areas you excel at getting your PCI to. I'm sure we all have certain things we do that lead to us naturally being better at hitting certain pitches. That's your pitch. Don't even think about swinging early in the count unless you see it.

Two strikes doesn't mean you have to swing at everything. And make sure you're keen to how the pitcher is performing. Is your opponent controlling their pitcher well and throwing lots of strikes/dotting you up? Then maybe you need to be a little more aggressive.

Or are they just going through the motions and throwing garbage and you're swinging? At that point, shrink your zone and really look for your pitch. LOTS of people panic in this game when they start throwing balls and don't want to walk people and will spam fastballs up in the zone.

That's when you pounce.
I tend to react mash anything low in the zone that happens to be a strike. The problem is if I sit low in the zone I will swing at EVERYTHING below the zone. Every now and then you'll play someone you can tell are trying to throw sinkers for strikes low in the zone and you can sit, but if someone is throwing 90% balls low in the zone, i'm swinging.

A few months ago I started sitting the pci still like cbrev suggested in one of his videos so I don't move pci at all pre-pitch anymore. I set up slightly low and inside but noticed in his recent videos he's setting up high in the zone in most games.

I do sit the pci somewhere pre-pitch if I'm guessing but 2 strike counts I go back to slightly low and inside.

I agree people panic. I've actually gotten more of my ranked season offense in the 8th and 9th inning against flame throwing relievers. They rely heavy on the fastball and it's easier to guess especially if you get a runner or two on. Outside of end game though my fastball first approach and sitting (usually up and in) hasn't netted that great of results. Most of my offense is homeruns so maybe I should get all the hr derby guys, killebrew, and musial and swing for the fences
Old 07-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #5
MVP

papadell's Arena

Quote:
I tend to react mash anything low in the zone that happens to be a strike. The problem is if I sit low in the zone I will swing at EVERYTHING below the zone. Every now and then you'll play someone you can tell are trying to throw sinkers for strikes low in the zone and you can sit, but if someone is throwing 90% balls low in the zone, i'm swinging.

A few months ago I started sitting the pci still like cbrev suggested in one of his videos so I don't move pci at all pre-pitch anymore. I set up slightly low and inside but noticed in his recent videos he's setting up high in the zone in most games.

I do sit the pci somewhere pre-pitch if I'm guessing but 2 strike counts I go back to slightly low and inside.

I agree people panic. I've actually gotten more of my ranked season offense in the 8th and 9th inning against flame throwing relievers. They rely heavy on the fastball and it's easier to guess especially if you get a runner or two on. Outside of end game though my fastball first approach and sitting (usually up and in) hasn't netted that great of results. Most of my offense is homeruns so maybe I should get all the hr derby guys, killebrew, and musial and swing for the fences
One of the few real world baseball mindsets you can apply to the game is making the pitcher prove they can locate pitches for strikes.

Just steadfast tell yourself you aren't swinging at anything that even remotely looks low until they prove they can consistently throw strikes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
One of the few real world baseball mindsets you can apply to the game is making the pitcher prove they can locate pitches for strikes.

Just steadfast tell yourself you aren't swinging at anything that even remotely looks low until they prove they can consistently throw strikes.
I wish theyd make practice mode where they'd just feet you constant low breaking pitches.

I can get fastballs setting it 3-0...but 0-2 they still don't feed me junk pitches too often
Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #7
MVP

papadell's Arena

Quote:
I wish theyd make practice mode where they'd just feet you constant low breaking pitches.

I can get fastballs setting it 3-0...but 0-2 they still don't feed me junk pitches too often
It sounds like you might be out guessing yourself too. Granted I'm not sure if you're on a monitor or TV and whatnot so any kind of latency will make it difficult.

But if you're good on settings I'd suggest really focusing on the release point. Don't look at the pitcher, find the exact spot the ball comes out of. It's the same spot each time until a new pitcher comes in. Like focus in on the spot and pick a spot in the background (like the batters eye or a spot in the stands) and just look there. Nowhere else.

Once you get the release point down, I feel pitch recognition will come easier so you aren't guessing and actually reacting.

And always be ready for the fastball and adjust to offspeed. If you sit offspeed you're going to struggle unless you get lucky and get it exactly where you're sitting.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I just pray it’s not a sinker on my hands, and if it is I hope I can not swing.

I typically look hard-in but even then I’m often late. I then say don’t chase balls low out the zone and still do.

Even with my flaws I am still better than most opponents so for all I think I struggle I know they do too

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »