Home

Finest Cards

This is a discussion on Finest Cards within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
Most Anticipated Sports Games of 2023
Five Ways EA Sports PGA Tour Can Improve Golf Career Modes
Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Old 11-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Rookie

buziii's Arena

OVR: 0
Finest Cards

What are they intended to represent? For example, the Cardinal Finest card is Giovanny Gallegos. He's a good young pitcher, but how is he in the Finest category?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
MVP

papadell's Arena

Re: Finest Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by buziii
What are they intended to represent? For example, the Cardinal Finest card is Giovanny Gallegos. He's a good young pitcher, but how is he in the Finest category?
Overall they are supposed to represent the best players in MLB in 2020. But with the shortened season and the fact that every team had to have at least one Finest card, some of the choices will seem a bit odd.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Rookie

buziii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxatron
Overall they are supposed to represent the best players in MLB in 2020. But with the shortened season and the fact that every team had to have at least one Finest card, some of the choices will seem a bit odd.
Thanks for the response. Odd indeed. I haven't scrolled through all of them, but several I've looked at are very odd, including Gallegos. I don't understand how anyone (or any bot) could pick him as the best 2020 player for the Cards.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
MVP

papadell's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Odd indeed. I haven't scrolled through all of them, but several I've looked at are very odd, including Gallegos. I don't understand how anyone (or any bot) could pick him as the best 2020 player for the Cards.
When doing attributes, I think SDS also looks at stats on a rate-basis and not just the counting stats. I think Gallegos pitched sparingly overall, even for a RP due to the season, so his stats on a rate-basis look really good.

Factor that in with them usually TRYING to balance the cards in terms of positions and which players have high-diamonds already. Goldschmidt and Molina got respective Awards cards, Flaherty had a Postseason card and Gallegos was probably next on the list.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

The other thing to note is that they really tried to avoid redundancy with the Finest. So players that already had really solid flashbacks didnít get a Finest card. This was key this year with so many players having excellent Topps Now or Monthly flashbacks.

This is a good thing as last year when they let people vote, they kept picking guys that already had a higher end card. It resulted in a fair amount of repetition and muted the impacts of the series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
MVP

papadell's Arena

Agreed. Finest was another feather in the content cap this year. Overall it was pretty solid and while I can nitpick certain things like Freddie having lower stats vs LHP than other guys that performed similarly, giving out cards like candy is good.

If this became a staple of Team Affinity and they continue to flesh that out, then that's a huge win for everyone. The added Finest packs adding in more variety was awesome. Giving us the option of Conquest is awesome. I only wish the maps were repeatable like Showdown. I really don't understand why they aren't, as you can work on stat missions and innings and it just makes total sense but it is what it is.

I'm almost nervous about content next year. Like it was SO good this year that I'm not sure they can top it. And they'll do things differently to make it "fresher" so curious what that looks like.

Man. If they figure out gameplay and get it to be more consistent and rewarding, and continue loading content this way and making it easy to get stubs/the cards we want, then I might actually be ready to bump MVP 2005 off the Best Baseball Game ever pedestal.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
It really goes to show how bad the Cards were this year. Goldy and Wainwright were really the only players that had good seasons and they already had higher rated cards. Wong had the 2nd highest WAR on the team, but that was with 0 offensive value. I personally would have picked KK for finest, but Gallegos fits better to use on non-theme teams.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
MVP

papadell's Arena

I'm hoping we see a Finest Ozuna. His Topps Now earlier in the year isn't that good and he nearly won the Triple Crown. He could be a RH Soto. Swanson could have gotten a better card too but his Topps Now is probably close to what his Finest should have been. Kinda surprised Acuna got one but he's a popular player so it makes sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »