Home

Plans for Kevin Owens

This is a discussion on Plans for Kevin Owens within the Dirt forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling > Dirt
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Plans for Kevin Owens

Owens is more than ready for the main event scene. He's had nothing but great matches since signing with WWE, he's the hottest thing they had going in the E, until they, of course, fed him to Cena. That's how the machine works. NXT is just breeding grounds for Cena's next victims. I respect the man, and even almost started liking him, but when ever I get close, they pull this ****, and I makes me not able to wait until the day he retires or Vince croaks. They're both stale and out of touch. Hunter is making stars in NXT out of guys who would be scrubs if not for how well they are booked. Hell Mikey Dalton, Mikey freaking Dalton is a star in NXT, thanks to Hunter taking over. Yes, he has his ego, and still needs some TV shine, but that's better off than the delusional Vince and Kevin Dunn show, and the Cena crap. Every time WWE does something to make my smarky self impressed, they do something to completely reverse it. Back to NXT I go.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #18
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

In a lot of ways I think the big problem is, WWE has a ton of talent, maybe TOO much so. They're facing the problem that WCW had in the '96-'97 period. The roster is just so full of guys (and gals) who can put on good matches, get great reaction etc etc but management just doesn't know how to handle it all and thus we get situations like this.

BTW don't mistake my saying KO isn't ready for the main event as an indicator of his talent because I think talent wise and crowd reaction wise he's perfect for it. My main complaint is that they throw these NXT guys in the main event picture right away. You have to build them up and move them up the card than if you want to put them down a peg or two have something in place rather than throwing them out in limbo with no plan.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

The last person that was thrown into the main event from NXT before KO was Wyatt. Everyone else who's been called up has been put into the midcard rotation from the start. KO started in the main event and TBH should be staying in the main event, not being put into the endless midcard rotation.

Last edited by StevenSD; 07-22-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
Rookie

I'm willing to give WWE the benefit of the doubt in this situation. The US Title is at a prestige level it hasn't seen in 20 years. Taking it off Cena right now diminishes that prestige. Let him build a reign longer than 4 months THEN pass it to Cesaro/Owens. Then let the incredibly talented upper-mid card feud over the belt. All of the sudden we have interesting, fresh feuds involving Ziggler/Owens/Cesaro/Wyatt/Ambrose all battling over a Championship that has regained the luster it deserves.

John Cena is good for the US Title. Handled properly, Cena shining up the US Title is best for business now, and in the future.

As far as Owens, he'll be fine. I said it in another thread -- 'Tis better to Cena and lose, than to not Cena at all.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #21
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

A lot of my points have already been touched on but I'll reiterate. Owens should have taken the US Title from Cena. Cena losing to Owens does nothing to hurt Cena's rep, he could've still feuded with Rollins and been perfectly fine. Owens losing to Cena does make it like its a what now situation, and unfortunately given creative's history there's not much hope that they'll know what to do with him long term.

I told my boy when Owens debuted that I thought he'd be champ by years end. THat may have been an aggressive assertion or just me putting too much faith in creative. But everything they've done this year has seemingly been to build new stars and start moving past the Cena era. So to seemingly not put one of those guys over and go back to Cena chasing the WWE Title seems shortsighted and worried more about a big headline at Summerslam.

It's the typical shortsightedness that has hamstrung this company in recent years when it comes to creating new stars long term. This isn't just another guy, its a guy who you've built since his debut on NXT to be a wrecking machine. So to have him lose to Cena 2 out of 3 does more to hurt him than help him.

PSN: dsavbeast
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #22
Rookie

I'm as big a fan of KO as you can find. I think the guy is fantastic. But, trying to springboard a guy over Cena is THE WRONG MOVE. When guys have moved up the card and did it successfully, it was often a slow build. Owens has had 3 PPV matches. Let him marinate. Let him beat on Ziggler. Let him battle with Cesaro.

We want guys to FLY up the card. That simply isn't the way the BEST stars have been built. It was a year and a half between Stone Cold's 'Austin 3:16' promo and him winning the WWF Title.

HHH fought pig-farmers and garbage men before he made the climb.

Shawn Michaels was the IC champ at WM 9. Didn't get a shot at the WWE Title until Survivor Series 2 years later, then finally won the WWF Title 3 years later.

Sting was mega-over for YEARS before he was given the top spot.

The Rock didn't win the big one over Austin until WM19. They had their first big battle at WM15.

**Let me put it a different way. I own a restaurant. I have my chef. I know how many customers he brings in and can count on him to deliver a certain quality of dish and generate 'X' amount of revenue.

I'm not going replace my chef until I'm darn sure the next chef can generate as much, if not more business than my current chef. I might bring in some young chefs to work with my Top Chef. But I'm certainly not moving him out of the way until I see a clear replacement.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #23
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
In a lot of ways I think the big problem is, WWE has a ton of talent, maybe TOO much so. They're facing the problem that WCW had in the '96-'97 period. The roster is just so full of guys (and gals) who can put on good matches, get great reaction etc etc but management just doesn't know how to handle it all and thus we get situations like this.
Two words: BRAND EXTENSION. Bringing it back would alleviate a lot of the logjam.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #24
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv25man
I'm as big a fan of KO as you can find. I think the guy is fantastic. But, trying to springboard a guy over Cena is THE WRONG MOVE. When guys have moved up the card and did it successfully, it was often a slow build. Owens has had 3 PPV matches. Let him marinate. Let him beat on Ziggler. Let him battle with Cesaro.
That would be nice IF WWE had built those guys up to make beating on them look like something. Ziggler is pretty much a midcard jobber now. Cesaro looks good but ultimately hasn't won anything. That's the problem. How are you going to say 'let Owens beat on the midcard to make him look good' when no one in the midcard has been built to be made to look like anything?

Now, I wouldn't mind an Orton-Owens program, I'd certainly take it over Orton/Sheamus part 5000. Owens/Ambrose wouldn't be that bad either, since WWE can't figure out what to do with either of them. And we may still very well get those feuds. But the thougth of Owens going from feuding with Cena to feuding with Dolph "I get pounded out every week" Ziggler does not sound appealing.

Quote:
We want guys to FLY up the card. That simply isn't the way the BEST stars have been built. It was a year and a half between Stone Cold's 'Austin 3:16' promo and him winning the WWF Title.

HHH fought pig-farmers and garbage men before he made the climb.

Shawn Michaels was the IC champ at WM 9. Didn't get a shot at the WWE Title until Survivor Series 2 years later, then finally won the WWF Title 3 years later.

Sting was mega-over for YEARS before he was given the top spot.

The Rock didn't win the big one over Austin until WM19. They had their first big battle at WM15.
And all those guys weren't given nothing after their first big feud. With Owens if its true that they literally have nothing for him to do now as far as a main roster feud, then why the hell did they bring him up in the first place? Bc bringing him up as just Cena feud for a few months doesn't really help him long term if history is any indicator. Owens is talented enough that he can overcome it, but this just reeks of midcard hell incoming for KO.

And you folks know I've posted on here a long time and I'm not one to jump to these conclusions. But its only so many times I can see this nonsense and think this company just doesn't want to build a star unless its 'their guy'.

PSN: dsavbeast

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling > Dirt »