Home

United States National Team (PES 2007)

This is a discussion on United States National Team (PES 2007) within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: United States National Team (PES 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Send Donovan to the Women's National Team!

Looks like you should be able to qualify for the WC pretty easily judging by your first two games.
Well I'd hope so. Concacaf is relatively easy although I have to play a Mexican team that is in need of points in my next game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #26
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeruvianPlaya954
Well I'd hope so. Concacaf is relatively easy although I have to play a Mexican team that is in need of points in my next game.
Is Guillermo Ochoa finally starting for Mexico or is Oswaldo Sanchez still in goal?
But we all live in denial
Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 AM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Is Guillermo Ochoa finally starting for Mexico or is Oswaldo Sanchez still in goal?
He is on the roster. If he will start is yet to be seen
Old 10-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #28
MVP

Q&A with Kasey Keller

Kasey Keller is back in the mix for the starting GK spot

Kasey, you have started the first two matches of World Cup Qualifying after many people thought Tim Howard had secured the starting job at Goalkeeper, your thoughts?
Timmy is a great Goalkeeper. He is getting better and better and I congratulate him on his play for the US MNT. He helps me raise my game because we both want to be the starting keeper, and the competition is good for the both of us and for the team.

The next qualifying match for you guys is against Mexico. You have been there before, what do you expect in that match?
Well, we are going to be playing in Mexico. Playing in Azteca has proven to be tough for us. I expect the next match to be a tough match, they have been held to two scoreless draws in their first two matches and their fans are demanding goals and points. It'll be a full battle for 90 minutes.

Speaking of Mexico's troubles, why do you think they have not been able to score for 180 minutes?
I don't know. That is truly a difficult question to answer. With the sudden emergence of guys like (Nery) Castillo and (Andres) Guardado, I would have expected them to be doing very well, but that is not the case. I don't think their drought will last much longer though.

You guys are atop the standings. 2 matches played, 6 points, only 2 goals allowed. Any reason why you guys are doing so well?
Bob (Bradley) has prepared us tremedously for our games. He does an excellent job and that is probably the main reason why we are doing so well.

Young Josmer Altidore was a highlight reel all by his lonesome against Honduras. Is he a sign of things to come for US Soccer?
I think so. It looks that way. The sport is growing in this country and more kids are getting into it at a younger age. I've been playing for the US Team since the 90s and the change has been dramatic from stadiums filled to the talent level in the younger divisions. Altidore is incredibly gifted and did the unimaginable for us against Honduras. He is our future up top and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in 2010

Speaking of the World Cup. Do you expect to be on that roster?
I hope so. I am trying to keep my level of play consistant. I've never won a World Cup game, and I'd like to get another chance to accomplish that goal.

One final question Kasey, prediction for the US-Mexico game? Another traditional 2-0?
(Laughs) I'll just say it'll be another one for the ages and to make sure you watch it

Thank you for your time Kasey and good luck!
Thank you guys.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #29
MVP

United States Announces 18 for Clash Against Mexico

Speedy midfielder DaMarcus Beasley returns to U.S. Soccer action after being injured in the friendly vs France

"We are looking to win this game." said Bob Bradley in his press conference when asked by a reported if the U.S. would settle with a draw in Azteca. But the reporter has a point, the US has never won at Azteca in the history of the sport. Now couldn't be a better time to change that statistic. The U.S. is riding high after two dominating victories while Mexico has a measily two points after two scoreless draws. The United States have also dominated the Mexicans as of late winning twice in 2007 in a friendly in February and in the Gold Cup Final. This is the chance for the U.S. to show their Mexican doubters and doubters all across the globe, that they are indeed making strides towards South Africa 2010. Bradley has elected to go with a more experience based squad. John O'Brien is back after some impressive play and DaMarcus Beasley returns after a 2 game hiatus due to a knee injury. Other notables are the returns of Jonathan Bornstein who is being pushed by Heath Pearce for the left back spot. Josmer Altidore may also get his first taste of the rivalry after his hat trick performance versus Honduras. If the U.S. pulls out this upset, the U.S. will have a healthy 9 points and will sit alone a top of the standings in Concacaf qualifying. This could give them a big push over Mexico, and could crush any thoughts of 1st place for the Mexican faithful. Should they lose, Mexico will once again have beat them in Azteca and the U.S. will have blown a big opportunity, not only to take a commanding lead, but to also show the world, what they are truly made of.

Goalkeepers (2) - Tim Howard, Kasey Keller

Defenders (6) - Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein, Steve Cherundolo, Jimmy Conrad, Oguchi Onyewu, Heath Pearce

Midfielders (7) - DaMarcus Beasley, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Bobby Convey, Benny Feilhaber, Pablo Mastroeni, John O'Brien

Forwards (3) - Josmer Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan
Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 AM   #30
MVP

Question Re: United States National Team (PES 2007)

Altidore Scores Again as U.S. Defeat Mexico

Jonathan Bornstein brings the ball down during the 1-0 victory

No way. Not in Mexico. There will be no victory by the "gringos". These statements where shared by the Mexican media, fans and players all week in preparation for today's match. They'll have to resort to excuses because the United States beat the rivals from the south once again.

No, it wasn't as pretty as the win during the World Cup in 2002. It didn't have the drama of coming from behind like in the Gold Cup Final last year. This one was just a game that portrayed two teams too scared to come out of their shell.

Both teams were offensively quiet with not many opportunites created. Most of the game was played and battled in the middle of the field with both teams playing it safe and not trying to push forward too wrecklessly. "We tried to make sure we wouldn't have any counter attacks like last year." said Mexican head coach Hugo Sanchez. It didn't take a counter attack to for the stars and stripes. It took a quick strike from a teenager.

The fans where chanting for their Mexican team from kickoff. This would be enough to intimidate most players not use to this rivalry. But not Josmer Altidore. Altidore, who came off a hat trick performance against Honduras received a pass from Landon Donovan in the 7th minute. Altidore looked up and shot the ball low and away from Oswaldo Sanchez. The ball curled away from the keeper and swung by Rafael Marquez who was late in transition. The Mexican fans were in shock. You could probably hear a bee buzzing in the stadium, had it flown by at that time. The players were in awe and a much needed victory looked even more difficult for the Mexicans. "That goal hurt us mentally and took our fans out of it early" said a dissapointed Ricardo Osorio after the game.

Altidore got his first taste of the rivalry and celebrated with his teammates with a little dance after his fourth goal for the red white and blue. "I am just so excited that I could provide the game winner against Mexico in my first match against them. The atmosphere was crazy, and I already feel apart of this rivalry" said the teenager.

Pablo Mastroeni and Michael Bradley both held their own in the midfield. Fighting hard for air balls and scrambling all over to close down the space for Pavel Pardo, Nery Castillo, Andres Guardado and company.

The duo should get credit for limiting Mexico to the 4 chances they got on goal, but Jonathan Bornstein should get a huge ovation from American fans. Bornstein has been plagued with inconsistant performances and is being challenged by Heath Pearce for the left back position. But today's performance in Mexico, will be another positive in Bornstein's resume. He continuously shut down Nery Castillo and rarely left him room to do much with the ball. This was quite the opposite from what had occurred a year ago in the Gold Cup Final. "I learned my lesson from last year's game. I wasn't going to give him much space to move with the ball like I did last year." said the man of the match.

Forwards Jared Borgetti and Omar Bravo also couldn't find much space up top with Captain Carlos Bocanegra and Oguchi Onyewu's tight marking. "We tried not to let them breathe up top" said Bocanegra after the game. That they did. Mexico didn't have many quality opportunities, with their best chance coming off a far away header from Borgetti that sailed high and wide.

The United States also didn't make many other opportunities besides their opening goal as they didn't seem to want to push forward too much and leave the defense on its own. It may have caused some non exciting footy, but the U.S. got the job done and won in Mexico, something it had never done. "Not every game is going to be pretty. We accomplished a major task, and that is what matters. Three more points for us." said Steve Cherundolo after the game.

Mexico is in major trouble in the standings. Only receiving 2 points in the first three games leaves them 4th out of 6 at the moment. The Mexicans have yet to score and looks like some major changes will be coming after this game. Players? Personnel? Who knows, but Mexico needs to do something before they risk missing out on the World Cup completely.

The United States on the other hand is in good shape. 9 points through 3 matches puts them all alone a top the standings. They will take on Costa Rica in Foxboro, Massachusettes next, and the U.S. will surely build on this victory when they face the Ticos. "We beat Mexico in Mexico! We can accomplish anything now! Si se puede!" said a smiling DaMarcus Beasley after the game.

0-Mexico v United States-1
USA-Josmer Altidore 7' (Landon Donovan)

GK-Tim Howard
D-Steve Cherundolo
D-Oguchi Onyewu
D-Carlos Bocanegra
D-Jonathan Bornstein (John O'Brien 77')
M-Pablo Mastroeni
M-Michael Bradley
M-Landon Donovan (Benny Feilhaber 70')
M-Bobby Convey
F-Josmer Altidore
F-Clint Dempsey (DaMarcus Beasley 77')

Man of the Match
Jonathan Bornstein

Last edited by PeruvianPlaya954; 10-10-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:00 AM   #31
MVP

U.S. Roster Set for game with Panama

John O'Brien's U.S. career has had a sudden reemergence

"This is going to be a good challenge for us at home. We want to win our second home game this year but we know it will take hard work." said head coach Bob Bradley. The U.S. has gone to an undefeated in 3 matches and has scored 9 goals in the first three games. The team just got off a 1-0 victory over Mexico in Azteca and will now play the team they faced in the Gold Cup Final in 2005. The U.S. has called up veterans such as John O'Brien, Gregg Berhalter and has also balanced the team with some younger guys as well. The return of Lee Nguyen, Danny Szetela and Sal Zizzo. A combination of old with the new is the approach the U.S. is taking for the game this week in the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida. The game should have Panamian support but the U.S. doesn't seem to be concentrating on that. "We need the 3 points. I like our chances because we are at home, but we cannot make silly mistakes" said Goalkeeper Tim Howard. The U.S. will look for the a victory to make it 12 points in four games.

Goalkeepers (2) - Marcus Hahnemann, Tim Howard

Defenders (6) - Gregg Berhalter, Carlos Bocanegra, Jimmy Conrad, Heath Pearce, Frank Simek, Jonathan Spector

Midfielders (6) - Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan, Lee Nguyen, John O'Brien, Danny Szetela

Forwards (4) - Josmer Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Sal Zizzo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #32
MVP

U.S. Stay Undefeated

Danny Szetela scored his first goal as the U.S. won 2-0

"U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!" was the chant of thousands of fans throughout the stadium as they realized that there team is just two to three more wins away from qualifying from the World Cup in 2010. The United States won 2-0 tonight against a Panamian team that didn't defend too well.

The attacking plays for the United States came early and often. In the opening minutes, Landon Donovan had outran, outmanuevered and outplayed the Panamian defenders. On 2 seperate occasions, Donovan ripped two shots that were magnificantly saved.

"I tried to make sure I tested them early on. I think it worked and opened up space for the rest of the guys" said the all time goal scorer for the United States. He has a valid point. Donovan running all over the pitch in the first 10 minutes, that Panama concentrated on double teaming him. This allowed for Josmer Altidore, Lee Nguyen and Clint Dempsey more space to push forward.

In the 26th minute, Landon ran up the middle of the field. He cut in front of a defender and passed a through pass to an oncoming Josmer Altidore. Altidore trapped it with his left foot and struck it with his right. The ball wad a mid range shot that curled away and reached the back of the net. Altidore has now scored in all of his World Cup Qualifying games.

"Landon (Donovan) gave me a pefect pass. He placed it perfectly ahead of me and I knew I was going to get a quality shot on goal. I would've been upset had I not made that." said the teenager. Bob Bradley even praised the play of Josmer, saying his form is excellent. "I just am more and more impressed after every game. Josmer does things that the most experienced guys don't even do. He is a different and special type of player." said Bradley.

Now, this game wasn't just all USA. The defense contained Panama to a clean sheet but it did have its few scares. Captain Carlos Bocanegra was beat on a couple of headers which could've been goals had they not been well wide. Bocanegra was visibly upset during the aerial battles as he complained of fouls and shoves.

The U.S. was solid defending on the ground though. Jimmy Conrad may be pushing Jay DeMerit for the center defender backup spot. Heck, if Conrad continues to play like he did tonight, he may be pushing Oguchi Onyewu for his starting job. Conrad dominated in the air, and didn't let a defender pass him. He also added to the attacking side by putting some quality passes to the flanks.

In the second half, the United States fell back a little on its attacking play. Panama grabbed a little more of the possession. But the United States never looked to let the lead go. After making some substitutions, the United States doubled their lead. In the 77th minute Danny Szetela passed a ball to Sal Zizzo who had his back towards the goa. He turned and passed it back to Szetela who hit a high blast with his left foot.

The U-20 Duo had teamed up for the second goal and the U.S. had put the nail in the coffin. The young guys continue to impress and Bob Bradley is getting a look at the future of U.S. Soccer. "With the way they are playing, they'll continue to be included in the mix" said Bob Bradley in the post game press conference. Well the next challenge for the young guns if they do get called back up will be playing in the hostile environment of Costa Rica.

2-United States v Panama-0
USA-Josmer Altidore 26' (Landon Donovan)
USA-Danny Szetela 77' (Sal Zizzo)

GK-Tim Howard
D-Jonathan Spector
D-Jimmy Conrad
D-Carlos Bocanegra
D-Heath Pearce
M-John O'Brien
M-Ricardo Clark (Danny Szetela 60')
M-Lee Nguyen
M-Landon Donovan (Benny Feilhaber 85')
F-Josmer Altidore
F-Clint Dempsey (Sal Zizzo 65')