Home

The Run and Shoot Returns to Atlanta (NFL HC)

This is a discussion on The Run and Shoot Returns to Atlanta (NFL HC) within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
The Run and Shoot Returns to Atlanta (NFL HC)

I decided to start off with a challenge for NFL HC. So I started a new career with the Falcons. I also set it to start in the off-season.

I decided since I was starting from scratch I would bring in my own custom playbook.

Offensively it will be the run and shoot with a few standard personnel plays sprinkled in. Defensively I will be running Rex Ryan's 46 scheme. This will be extra challenging as none of my players will have any playbook knowledge so this could get a lot worse before it gets better.

Free Agency is looming and I have no QB's signed and lots of holes in the roster. The good news is I have like $50 million in cap space to work with. My strategy will be to build through the draft and to spend as wisely as I can via free agency.

Finding the QB of the future and offensive personnel that fit my scheme is priority #1 as none of my WR's really fit my WR philosophies as quick/route runner types.

I'll post again after FA/Draft if anyone is interested.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Re: The Run and Shoot Returns to Atlanta (NFL HC)

Here are my Off-Season Moves leading up to the draft

2008 Atlanta Falcons Off-Season

FA Period
Contracts Expiring (Not Re-Signed)
K Morten Anderson
FS Chris Crocker
P Michael Koenen
TE Dwayne Blakely
TE Courtney Anderson
LB Demorrio Williams
DT Tim Anderson
QB Chris Redman

Franchise Tag

None

Off-Season Trades
Chiefs Trade QB Brady Croyle to Falcons for 2008 6th Round Pick and 2009 6th Round Pick
Falcons Trade FS Jimmy Williams to Cardinals for 2008 4th round pick and 2008 6th round pick

Restricted Free Agent Offers Tendered
DE Chauncey Davis
LB Michael Boley

Off- Sesaon FA Signing
FS Eugene Wilson
CB Randall Gay
RB Michael Turner
LB Demorrio Williams
K Rob Bironas
CB Jacques Reeves
LB Rob Morris
P Mitch Berger
WR Javon Walker
OT Charles Spencer
DT Marcus Bell
QB Trent Dilfer
QB Quinn Gray
G Kili Lefoutu
TE Ben Troupe
LB Dontarrious Thomas
C John Wade

=As you can see it was semi-eventful. Didn't have any FA's good enough to require a franchise tag
- Chiefs made a trade offer to me for Brody Croyle. Desperate for QB help I decided he was worth a couple of 6th round picks. We'll see how that works out.

- Demorrio Williams became a UFA, but I went ahead and signed him anyway as interest in his was pretty lean

-Two biggest FA signings were guys I targeted early. Randall Gay and Eugene Wilson. Which were imo my two most pressing needs on defense. Assante Samuel wanted way too much money and I am really trying to spend money on FA's judiciously.

-Arizona made me a nice offer for Jimmy Williams which I accepted as he was expendable with the signing of Eugene Wilson

-Signed Michael Turner which gives me the bowling ball type RB I want to plug in to this offense, and is a nice compliment to Norwood.

- Signed Javon Walker and immediately had buyers remorse as he doesn't fit my scheme or WR philosophy. But WR depth was a major concern.

Going in to the draft I have targeted Matt Ryan as my first choice. I attended his personal workout and he has a 92 potential. Joe Flacco is my second choice at QB and I am very high on OT Ryan Clady out of Boise St.

Next up the draft!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Rookie

livinitup921's Arena

OVR: 4

Ill be following! I have the other Atlanta one on here. Lucky for you that Ryan had high potential, when i did my draft him and Flacco were bother terrible potential so i settled for two later QB's. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 16

Awesome write-ups, BK. Can't wait to read about the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

I'm following bk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup921
Ill be following! I have the other Atlanta one on here. Lucky for you that Ryan had high potential, when i did my draft him and Flacco were bother terrible potential so i settled for two later QB's. Good luck!
Flacco had a potential of around 88. I did change my positional philosophies so that could also affect their potential and OVR's

Just finished the draft. Going to write it up now.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
stewaat

OVR:

I'm anxious for the draft!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Well, I went in to the draft with a very specific game plan, and I figured having the #3 pick in the draft, and my plans went to crap from the first pick of the draft.

I had my sights set on Matt Ryan. I had worked him out, and scouted him heavily, I determined he was the guy to be the triggerman for my new look R&S offense. Well, the Dolphins took him with the first pick of the draft. Uggh.

I contemplated taking Joe Flacco next, but I just couldn't justify taking him with the 3rd pick of the draft. So i went shopping around to trade down out of the 3 spot. The Cards came knocking with a deal and I took it. They sent me the #16 pick and their 2009 2nd and 3rd round picks. With that pick I selected OT Ryan Clady out of Boise St, who I was very high on after all the pre-draft workouts.

Along comes the 2nd round and I have 3 2nd round picks. I have now adjusted my draft strategy to Best Player Available. With the 2nd pick of the 2nd round I took WR Donnie Avery out of Houston. Guy was off the charts on an athletic scale, but was a bit of a head case, still it was a position of need and he was too talented to pass up.

With my 2nd pick of the draft (5th pick of the round) Jonathan Stewart was still on the board. Despite just signing Michael Turner and having Jerious Norwood, he was simply too good of a player to pass up there. Any my GM was insisting I draft him, so I took him. There are worse things for this scheme than 230 lbs. RB with breakaway speed who can also catch the ball out of the backfield. Injury problems are the big concern with him.

With my last pick of the 2nd round I took DE/LB Quentin Groves out of Auburn. He's fast aggressive defender who's a bit undersized and has some injury history as well. I thought he'd be a perfect fit for my new attacking defense.

And that's it for Day 1 of the draft.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »