Home

Any of you dynasty writers ever think of journalism?

This is a discussion on Any of you dynasty writers ever think of journalism? within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Any of you dynasty writers ever think of journalism?

I got my degree in Broadcast Journalism (though it went by a different name at the school I went to) a year and a half ago. I enjoy it,
but I ended up going a different direction. I do enjoy flexing my journalistic "muscle" from time to time though.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Rookie

gamerMark's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast10
Just a question, theres a lot of good writers on this forum and I was wondering if any of you guys ever considered majoring or may have already majored in sports journalism in college.

I'm currently a HS sophomore and I've given it thought as I actually have fun reporting. I think it'd be a pretty fun career track, though I realize it'd be much more demanding than simply writing whenever I want about video games.
Does your high school have a newspaper? Is so you should join. I took journalism throughout high school and wrote for the school paper. That's as far as I went with it, but it was fun.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

I did indeed do (most) of a journalism degree -- Broadcast -- but I became pretty disillusioned with the practices of the journalistic institution. The deeper I got into my degree, the less I liked it (and, by extension, myself).

I would say definitely try it out first in high school and, if you like it, go for it. And if you find yourself having doubts about it down the line, don't be afraid to switch it up.

For me, I love writing (and journalism in general) but I'm too much of an idealist to deal with the industry -- it ain't for me. I ended up jumping out of that and into programming (writing ... of a different sort) and do journalistic things here on the dynasty boards. In the end it just feels more "pure" from my perspective. And way more enjoyable.

That's probably the first thing you should judge any potential career path on: do you enjoy it? If you do, good, go for it.

But if there comes a point where you don't enjoy it and it's sucking that joy out of you, replacing it with misery, don't be afraid to dump it. Trust me, it will be far better in the long-run, despite how tough it might (and likely) will be in the short-term.

Just my two cents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
Pro

Sports journalism is my dream!

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla

http://sportgeek.wixsite.com/sportblogs
Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
MVP

NewscasterNews4's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm debating between majoring in journalism or accounting this fall, I haven't decided yet. Journalism seems like it could be fun, but Ik I'm more of an introvert and I don't like working with people so it might not be the right fit, plus I've heard it's very hard to get in the industry. Accounting is more of a backup plan because I'm decent at math and there's less collaboration involved, but it's really only something I'd do if I have to. I'm leaning towards Journalism but we'll see.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #14
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

I was at Washington State planning to be a journalist. I wrote a lot for the daily newspaper covering elections and campus politics, and even had a story printed in the Spokesman Review one time.

I am not really sure why I became so disillusioned with the idea of being a sports journalist. Was it the insistence I be treated respectfully by people I deal with and finding out that even the women's volleyball coach thinks their "stuff" don't stink and clearly hate dealing with you? The salary? Not sure why but I lost interest in it, and ended up dropping out of college. I'm actually back working to attain my degree now in a more generalized communications mode.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #15

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
I was at Washington State planning to be a journalist. I wrote a lot for the daily newspaper covering elections and campus politics, and even had a story printed in the Spokesman Review one time.

I am not really sure why I became so disillusioned with the idea of being a sports journalist. Was it the insistence I be treated respectfully by people I deal with and finding out that even the women's volleyball coach thinks their "stuff" don't stink and clearly hate dealing with you? The salary? Not sure why but I lost interest in it, and ended up dropping out of college. I'm actually back working to attain my degree now in a more generalized communications mode.
Yeah I seem to recall losing interest before even starting the career for similar reasons too. It's not that glamorous of a job in the early goings and the money is crap. Such a select few make it to the next level.

It was a very fun major and the flexibility of the class times and projects fit well with my football schedule. That said, I am perfectly content with living my football coaching/playing career and journalism career vicariously through this dynasty reporting thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewscasterNews4
I'm debating between majoring in journalism or accounting this fall, I haven't decided yet. Journalism seems like it could be fun, but Ik I'm more of an introvert and I don't like working with people so it might not be the right fit, plus I've heard it's very hard to get in the industry. Accounting is more of a backup plan because I'm decent at math and there's less collaboration involved, but it's really only something I'd do if I have to. I'm leaning towards Journalism but we'll see.
I'm in just about the same boat as you are actually. I've taken some journalism classes in high school, I think I have at least some strand of talent, but there are a bunch of things dissuading me from going all in.

I am an introvert and don't like working with people either, so there's that, and while you make a good point about the industry being hard to get into, I just find that with all the crummy articles I stumble across on the internet, it's not really worth it. It's gotten to the point where in my free time I start looking through ESPN articles (especially Mark Schlabach's) for errors, words or sentences that don't make sense. Quite entertaining actually.

Almost leaning toward becoming a history major in college, I enjoy that subject and one of my teachers once told me that there are a lot of options and good career paths I can choose from. We'll see...

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »