Home

IGN First Preview!

This is a discussion on IGN First Preview! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #73
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: IGN First Preview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
that thing was stupid, very very very stupid. I just never added points.

this is why

Hey look, my RB has 80 speed, but i broke a tackle and scored a TD, sweet

next drive

Hey look, now i can make my 80 speed RB have 99 speed, is that how Reggie Bush did it?

Give me a football game where football is played. Once you get that down, then add all this crap of emotions and momentum and superman mode.

When one play can win a game, being used over and over and over, i dont think your focus should be on John Doe's girlfriend picture on his computer or if he is a leader on the field.

can the AI learn, and scout you before you play? No
can they figure out your running the same play again for the 8th time? No

I wish these guys would come in and talk to us, instead of putting a poll up on their site for what extra do you want on the PS2 version, so we can still sell those.

sorry, im done. I hope they did all this stuff, i guess we will figure it out when the game comes out.
Amen brotha... this has been my #1 issue going WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back. EA does NOTHING in terms of AI and learning how to stop crap. Hell, my buddy and I had to eliminate 33% of the playbook in 2007 just to make the game a semi challenge. The general rule is this... if it works, you are not allowed to call it because you can run it 1,000 times in a row. I thought the days of the Jerry Rice unstoppable post patterns would be taken care of by now but no... the AI is still just as bad only the graphics and detail in the programming have improved.

Can NCAA 2009 gimmick please be, "We added Artificial Intelligence this year to our video game that many fans have been begging for. Now our CPU teams will actually pay attention to your call playing tendencies as well as what historically works and doesn't work for them with their plays and adjust to that. Also, our individual players will catch on if you call the same play over and over and over again. Examples of our AI improvements from last year will be:
- DBs will eventually figure out that on all stop routes they need to make a play on the ball before the WR catches it. Simply standing behind him and screaming obscenities into his ear isn't enough any more.... the days of WRs being unable to catch balls (2006) are hopefully gone.
- After you throw any certain route, example corner route, for the 10th time, a safety will start to cheat over and attempt to keep you from throwing your 11th TD in one game.
- Your entire secondary will only bite on so many PA passes before they say, screw it, we need to worry about the pass first since the run isn't killing us and PA is.
- After the computer runs the 5th draw play in a row for negative yardage they will either make a change to the blocking scheme (no i don't think i will ever see this in my lifetime) or they will simply QUIT calling draw plays.
- and the biggest one will be doing some sort of scouting before the game begins so that the CPU doesn't have to get killed in the first half relearning every game.

Would be music to my ears to hear something like that.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #74
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by soce

Can NCAA 2009 gimmick please be, "We added Artificial Intelligence this year to our video game that many fans have been begging for. Now our CPU teams will actually pay attention to your call playing tendencies as well as what historically works and doesn't work for them with their plays and adjust to that.
then everyone would bitch about the ai cheating and knowing their every play.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #75
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Amen brotha... this has been my #1 issue going WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back. EA does NOTHING in terms of AI and learning how to stop crap. Hell, my buddy and I had to eliminate 33% of the playbook in 2007 just to make the game a semi challenge. The general rule is this... if it works, you are not allowed to call it because you can run it 1,000 times in a row. I thought the days of the Jerry Rice unstoppable post patterns would be taken care of by now but no... the AI is still just as bad only the graphics and detail in the programming have improved.

Can NCAA 2009 gimmick please be, "We added Artificial Intelligence this year to our video game that many fans have been begging for. Now our CPU teams will actually pay attention to your call playing tendencies as well as what historically works and doesn't work for them with their plays and adjust to that. Also, our individual players will catch on if you call the same play over and over and over again. Examples of our AI improvements from last year will be:
- DBs will eventually figure out that on all stop routes they need to make a play on the ball before the WR catches it. Simply standing behind him and screaming obscenities into his ear isn't enough any more.... the days of WRs being unable to catch balls (2006) are hopefully gone.
- After you throw any certain route, example corner route, for the 10th time, a safety will start to cheat over and attempt to keep you from throwing your 11th TD in one game.
- Your entire secondary will only bite on so many PA passes before they say, screw it, we need to worry about the pass first since the run isn't killing us and PA is.
- After the computer runs the 5th draw play in a row for negative yardage they will either make a change to the blocking scheme (no i don't think i will ever see this in my lifetime) or they will simply QUIT calling draw plays.
- and the biggest one will be doing some sort of scouting before the game begins so that the CPU doesn't have to get killed in the first half relearning every game.

Would be music to my ears to hear something like that.
that's too much work to please the minority of people that want this. The majority of people who buy madden or NCAA probably use 5-10 plays the whole game and want TD's on every drive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
that's too much work to please the minority of people that want this. The majority of people who buy madden or NCAA probably use 5-10 plays the whole game and want TD's on every drive.
Okay fine... add this but give it a toggle to turn OFF CPU AI so that the people who want to call the same 2 plays for an entire game and ignore 98% of the playbook can do so and be happy. But the rest of us that would get upset if we watched a team play our favorite team on TV and run the same 2 plays for the whole game while our team coach and players made zero adjustments and seemed just as surprised on the 50th time they ran it as they were the first time can get some sort of historical tracking system and what defenses tend to work versus what offensive formation/motion etc... that we show presnap. I am in NO WAY suggesting that the CPU adjust their play calling based on what play we actually call, but rather base it on our previous play calls.

And just for the record, the CPU does know my play now to a degree because at the goal line if I come out in a 4 WR formation and call run, they will be in a goal line formation every time. However, if I come out in 4WR formation and call pass, they will come out in a pass defense. This I feel is crap and should be replaced with historical data based on my teams play calls during the year.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #77
Rookie

mdurd2817's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Okay fine... add this but give it a toggle to turn OFF CPU AI so that the people who want to call the same 2 plays for an entire game and ignore 98% of the playbook can do so and be happy. But the rest of us that would get upset if we watched a team play our favorite team on TV and run the same 2 plays for the whole game while our team coach and players made zero adjustments and seemed just as surprised on the 50th time they ran it as they were the first time can get some sort of historical tracking system and what defenses tend to work versus what offensive formation/motion etc... that we show presnap. I am in NO WAY suggesting that the CPU adjust their play calling based on what play we actually call, but rather base it on our previous play calls.

And just for the record, the CPU does know my play now to a degree because at the goal line if I come out in a 4 WR formation and call run, they will be in a goal line formation every time. However, if I come out in 4WR formation and call pass, they will come out in a pass defense. This I feel is crap and should be replaced with historical data based on my teams play calls during the year.
So true...it really chaps my backside.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #78
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
That's not unrealistic, it's just common sense. In real life the defensive coaches can see what sort of personnel packages the other team is sending in and will adjust their own personnel accordingly.

Having the cpu match up personnel is infinitely preferable to being able to cheese one's way to victory by calling odd sets hoping to catch the cpu at a disadvantage.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #79
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
That's not unrealistic, it's just common sense. In real life the defensive coaches can see what sort of personnel packages the other team is sending in and will adjust their own personnel accordingly.

Having the cpu match up personnel is infinitely preferable to being able to cheese one's way to victory by calling odd sets hoping to catch the cpu at a disadvantage.
I don't know any coach who's mental powers are good enough to know when a team sends out 4 wr that they're going to run the ball.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #80
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I don't know any coach who's mental powers are good enough to know when a team sends out 4 wr that they're going to run the ball.
After rereading soce's post, I have to admit that I misunderstood what he was saying. My bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »