Home

Kick returns...

This is a discussion on Kick returns... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #1
Pro

miamicanes11's Arena

OVR: 5
Kick returns...

Is there any way to make kick returns easier while playing on Heisman without making the rest of the games easier. If not, does anyone have any tips on returning kicks(playcalling, moves). I hate not having the feeling that I have the potential to take one to the house, so any help would be much appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Kick returns...

It depends a lot on the speed of the returner. I have a 99 speed CB back there returning punts/kickoffs. But he's only took one to the house and that was on a punt.

Speed is important, but a lot has to do with the play you call. On punts, I do Return Left/Return Right depending on what hash mark the ball is on. Doing this usually builds a wall of blockers if you get the kick you want.

On kickoffs, I primarily use Return Left. Dont know why, I just do. My advice on the kickoff returns is "DONT DANCE". I refuse to use jukes or spins unless I get into the open field. I usually run straight ahead and hope to find a hole to get through. Just recently, I returned one to my opponents 40 before being pushed out.

Execution and a little bit of luck is all it takes.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU9399
It depends a lot on the speed of the returner. I have a 99 speed CB back there returning punts/kickoffs. But he's only took one to the house and that was on a punt.

Speed is important, but a lot has to do with the play you call. On punts, I do Return Left/Return Right depending on what hash mark the ball is on. Doing this usually builds a wall of blockers if you get the kick you want.

On kickoffs, I primarily use Return Left. Dont know why, I just do. My advice on the kickoff returns is "DONT DANCE". I refuse to use jukes or spins unless I get into the open field. I usually run straight ahead and hope to find a hole to get through. Just recently, I returned one to my opponents 40 before being pushed out.

Execution and a little bit of luck is all it takes.

I agree with what is posted here. I finally took one to the house albeit vrs. Boise State on the Blue Turf. I am in the 4th year of my dynasty with a created team. So basically one return for TD in roughly 44 games. The main hint I would pass on is setting up the return. Choose either return left or return right. Whichever side the CPU kicks to I try to run towards the middle to set up the return then bust it back outside to the side the cpu kicked it to? Also- the reason I finally broke one is I accidentily tapped the juke button way early. I tapped it and got the quick change of direction without losing the speed of a full juke. I did this when the gunners were about 15 yrds away and they basically broke down and allowed my blockers to actually get a hand on them and held them up enough to get me into the second tier of tacklers. Use the spin to excape trouble but only once. Of course there has to be some serious luck involved as well. And usually a missed tackle or so because the cpu swarms to the ball as opposed to my kickoff coverages where guys stay in their lanes until the last minute.

quick recap-
1- use the direction of the kick in your return by setting it up. angle towards the middle of the field and cut back towards the sideline.
2- Try the quick juke early to slow down the gunners because they are simply too fast to make them miss in open field. If you get them to break down your blockers will actually get a piece of them.
3- Use the spin to excape trouble or when you are pinned in. You will only have time to do this once in traffic before getting tackled so make it count.
4- If the ball is a deep kick just down it because the farther down the field the kicking team is the tougher it is to get good returns. If you get a short kick make it hurt.

good luck....I am by no means a KR master but have been getting out to the 30 and 40 occaisonally.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

everyone other game or so i get a solid return on kickoffs. to midfield usually, still haven't ran one back on a punt or kickoff and i've played roughly 150 games so far between different dynastys. everyone i return a kick half way decent its called back because of a clipping on one of my players. i returnt it to the 50, start on the 11.

i'll try some of these things in my next game.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:26 AM   #5
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

Subbing in OL for the wedge blockers is key as well. Sometimes I have guys who have very poor blocking skills and well...they just don't block !

I don't think I've ever returned one though...in probably close to 60-70 games. I hit the hole...get some good blocks...but always seem to gravitate towards the sideline and some dumb slug pushes me out. I can usually get to the 30 or 40 or so pretty regularly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Rookie

Kaylos's Arena

OVR: 1

Never thought of that. Are the O-linemen fast enough to get to where they need to be or would it be better to use blocking FBs and TEs for wedge blockers?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Pro

miamicanes11's Arena

OVR: 5

Also, where do you sub them in?
Old 10-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #8
Pro

Mangum's Arena

OVR: 6

Formation Subs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »