Home

NCAA Player Names?

This is a discussion on NCAA Player Names? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: NCAA Player Names?
1 179 43.66%
2 46 11.22%
3 33 8.05%
4 28 6.83%
5 124 30.24%
Voters: 410. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: NCAA Player Names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksolo1212
There is no source, however, they will lose one sale (ME). The people that player with real roster names are still a small community of us hardcore gamers. Many casual gamers have no idea or no interest in actual roster names. This would hurt regarding drafting your college players on to Madden. We are spoiled with the actual player names on NCAA and I just cannot see going back to HB #21 and WR #80
NCAA doesn't have the real player names unless you edit it yourself.

I took this question to mean that EA is trying to get a license to use the real names and likenesses, not to block your abilty to edit them.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #18
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

It's not so much that it's a big deal having real names, it's my hatred for playing with numbers. I want to play with players, not numbers. As for a random name generator? Well, it's no better having a name I know is wrong than a number. In fact, I'd rather have just a number than a wrong name. But, generating random names can very easily be an option.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #19
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

Doesnt bother me in the least.

I know most of my two teams rosters (UT & MTSU) and I know most of the SEC by the numbers, so its not a big deal to me.

I usually only use the name editor to name the SEC and the rest of college football's superstar players.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I really like downloading the rosters with AR, adds a lot of realism.

Is this poll asking whether we want the NCAA to put names in the game at release? If so, I'm not sure that's legal (you don't see official jerseys sold with player names on the back...)

I sure as hell hope they don't get rid of the player name editor, that'd sure as hell suck big time. I'm really hoping that's not what people meant (that EA's considering removing the editor)
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I really like downloading the rosters with AR, adds a lot of realism.

Is this poll asking whether we want the NCAA to put names in the game at release? If so, I'm not sure that's legal (you don't see official jerseys sold with player names on the back...)

I sure as hell hope they don't get rid of the player name editor, that'd sure as hell suck big time. I'm really hoping that's not what people meant (that EA's considering removing the editor)
That's exactly what EA intends to do. The NCAA is getting really rigid about player likenesses and references. This goes way beyond the names, the jersey numbers, height, weight, skin color...So for example, U of M instead of Henne(#7, White, 6'4", 210lbs) You may have #19, Black, 6'1", 175 with no option of edit. I can't find the article, but I read it and it pertained to other forms of likenesses, b ut a paragraph towards the end was speciffically targeting college football and basketball videogames.

I will search for this article, it may have been in a business journal I was reading in my finance class.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #22
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I could possibly get past the idea of no player editor to change their names, but if the players do not have the attributes of the real life counterpart, then I won't buy it. NCAA has been my favorite game every year since the Bill Walsh days up until this year's MVP Baseball, but I do not want to play a game without real players. That is why, even as much as I like MVP, if a generic baseball game is released next year on its engine, I won't buy it. Real players or the likeness of real players like the NCAA games have now, is a must for me in a sports game.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #23
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I could possibly get past the idea of no player editor to change their names, but if the players do not have the attributes of the real life counterpart, then I won't buy it. NCAA has been my favorite game every year since the Bill Walsh days up until this year's MVP Baseball, but I do not want to play a game without real players. That is why, even as much as I like MVP, if a generic baseball game is released next year on its engine, I won't buy it. Real players or the likeness of real players like the NCAA games have now, is a must for me in a sports game.
yeah, I don't want to play as Michigan or USC or whoever but have the team play totally different than they do in real life (like Michigan run the Nebraska type option offense)
Old 04-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #24
Banned

TwelveozPlaya21's Arena

OVR: 18

if you can't edit the rosters names then i would retire from gaming. Madden and Ncaa are like the two games i buy year in and year out and i play them all year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »