Home

NCAA Player Names?

This is a discussion on NCAA Player Names? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: NCAA Player Names?
1 179 43.66%
2 46 11.22%
3 33 8.05%
4 28 6.83%
5 124 30.24%
Voters: 410. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #25
MVP

koebner's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NCAA Player Names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I could possibly get past the idea of no player editor to change their names, but if the players do not have the attributes of the real life counterpart, then I won't buy it. NCAA has been my favorite game every year since the Bill Walsh days up until this year's MVP Baseball, but I do not want to play a game without real players. That is why, even as much as I like MVP, if a generic baseball game is released next year on its engine, I won't buy it. Real players or the likeness of real players like the NCAA games have now, is a must for me in a sports game.
Good point.If the NCAA pressures EA to take out name editing,then it follows that there would be no player likenesses allowed at all,like the non-MLBPA minor leaguers in MVP Baseball.Therefore the quarterback for USC this year may be black and 6'0 tall and a sophomore.Plus his jersey # will be wrong and you won't be able to change any of it.Pray that this isn't how it goes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty22
i will cancel my preorder if they take out the name editor in the game. i cannot play it with out the names in the game.
You can't play it? Do you start to twitch and foam at the mouth when you begin to play a game when the players names aren't edited?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
yeah, I don't want to play as Michigan or USC or whoever but have the team play totally different than they do in real life (like Michigan run the Nebraska type option offense)
Why would they change how the teams play? I think you're really reaching on this one.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #28
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
Why would they change how the teams play? I think you're really reaching on this one.
What's the point of playing with USC for example, if their QB sucks. That means you wouldn't be able to play as USC as a passing threat. I think that is what mgo meant.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 04-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
What's the point of playing with USC for example, if their QB sucks. That means you wouldn't be able to play as USC as a passing threat. I think that is what mgo meant.
Altering a players likeness is doable. But I think it would be quite a stretch to sue or punnish EA in any way if they put in a players ablities.

That's like Barry Bonds sueing EA because they made John Dowd a very good left handed hitter.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #30
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

And im not too sure the NCAA the culprit here.

I think the student athlete advocacy groups who are threatening to sue the NCAA over athlete compensation for jersey's sold, video games, etc are the ones to blame.

Which IMHO, is BS, considering that athletes get free room, board, tuition, books, and a per semester cash allowance (bet ya didnt know that), and most are still eligible for student financial aid and many are set up with cushy summer jobs/internships because of thier connections. College athlete's crying poor is rediculous. Drive by your local football complex and i bet youll have trouble telling the difference between the coaches and the players automobiles.

The NCAA is just avoiding the lawsuits. Im sure the NCAA would love to continue to allow EA to have a name editor considering that its a huge draw.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
You can't play it? Do you start to twitch and foam at the mouth when you begin to play a game when the players names aren't edited?
Playing with QB #8 is just ultra lame. That's something from the early 90's. I won't go back to that. If they omit player editing I will just have to play Madden exclusively this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1
Angry Re: NCAA Player Names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Playing with QB #8 is just ultra lame. That's something from the early 90's. I won't go back to that. If they omit player editing I will just have to play Madden exclusively this year.
thats what i mean. i played 02 and 03 without the names and started getting the names in 04. i won't go back. i will also play madden only if they take out the name editor

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »