Home

Let's do something, even if it doesn't work.

This is a discussion on Let's do something, even if it doesn't work. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Let's do something, even if it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsoldier
He's not being walked upon at all; he is citing precedent. Exclusivity deals happen everyday in every industry; this is nothing new. This is not illegal. Get over it.
Name some. There are no total exclusivity deals in the television rights, and I'd like to know some similar examples to the sports gaming deals happening at the moment.

Don't even mention Reebok and Gatorade. These deals have no effect on the quality of competing brands. They are to do with product placement and not anti-competitive to anywhere near the same extent; take 2 don't even have the time to make any Football game at all this year.

I think the very reason why we're seeing so many copy-cat deals happen in a remarkably short space of time is that the gaming companies never invisaged how little opposition they would face, and are laughing at how easy it is to stamp out the competition.

As for Communism; these deals are far more in line with totalitarian politics than democracy. Didn't the Soviet government effectively have "exclusivity deals" with every company in the country. Read your history books my friend. Lol: "Bread : The exclusive food of the Soviet government."

It's funny how "the land of the free and the home of the brave" is rapidly becoming "the land of no choice and the home of the apathetic".

I know you're a mod and can close this down, but I would appreciate it if you didn't and really thought about this hard. This is a very long deal and sets a new precident that I don't think most consumers want.

I don't mean to offend anyone; these are all just opinions and everyone is entitled to thiers too. I am not refering to specific people, but just making a general social comment. Thanks to everyone who replies: Even if none of us agree, it is good to see that we can all exercise our freedom of speech.

Last edited by hayvis; 04-12-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis
Name some. There are no total exclusivity deals in the television rights
The Final Four, the Superbowl, the World Series, Sunday Night baseball. AFC/AFC games having to be on CBS, and NFC/NFC games having to be on Fox. The Masters, The Daytona 500. Sunday Night football, MNF, the Olympics.

I could go on and on. Those are all total exclusivity deals in television. You might not see these as the same thing, but they are. You want one thing, you want to have a choice, but you can't.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #11
Banned

Herd90XB's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
Please stop with this garbage. There's nothing wrong with exclusivity agreements until prices get out of hand. Just because you have one less choice in your football video game, you are not hurt as a consumer. The FTC is aware of these deals, as they review all business deals including those in the video game industry. It's a hopeless cause.
Nothing wrong with exlusivity agreements until prices get out of hand? LOL!!! What about the lack of choice? What about the lack of incentive to improve? Exclusivity hurts the consumer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
Rookie

pennsy's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis
Are you just prepared to be walked on your whole life? Just because most people live in a world governed by thier next burger and TV show, doesn't mean I have to join them.

I suppose you're perfectly happy with George W too? Why don't we all just get lobotomies and have done with it. Actually there's no need, because most people act as if they have them allready.
Why don't you leave your political leaning out of a football game discussion? Do you really think this will sway the masses to your way of thinking?
NOT!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
The Final Four, the Superbowl, the World Series, Sunday Night baseball. AFC/AFC games having to be on CBS, and NFC/NFC games having to be on Fox. The Masters, The Daytona 500. Sunday Night football, MNF, the Olympics.

I could go on and on. Those are all total exclusivity deals in television. You might not see these as the same thing, but they are. You want one thing, you want to have a choice, but you can't.
Exclusivity deals have to stop somewhere. There is a point at which it becomes unfair to the consumer. I don't think that any of these affect thier competitors or customers in the same way as the video game deals. The very fact that none of what you have mentioned encompass the whole of any of thier respective leagues proves thier total difference.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsy
Why don't you leave your political leaning out of a football game discussion? Do you really think this will sway the masses to your way of thinking?
NOT!!!
Point taken. I retract what I said about Bush.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd90XB
Nothing wrong with exlusivity agreements until prices get out of hand? LOL!!! What about the lack of choice? What about the lack of incentive to improve? Exclusivity hurts the consumer.
Thank goodness someones turned up who sees both sides. I thought I was on my own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
Rookie

whatcha's Arena

OVR: 4

Ever heard of a slippery slope? You're basically saying that because EA has an exclusive deal with the NFL and with the NCAA, the games are going to go to crap and the prices are going to get outrageous. We haven't even seen the first iteration of the game yet and you've already come to these conclusions. Last time I checked, you couldn't come to a conclusion about something without some type of proof, etc.

Seems to me that some folks are so anti-EA they're forgetting that the major professional sports are the ones looking for the exclusive deals, not the gaming companies. With exclusive deals they can use those products for graphics during NFL broadcasts, etc, without offending other game companies.

Capitalism has always been founded on get the money you can, when you can, by the way. They aren't breaking any laws, because any game company can still develop a football game. They just can't use the actual uniforms, names, etc. Last I checked, we've never been able to use the actual names in NCAA, but we always end up with roster downloads, etc. I'm pretty sure if someone develops a football game, someone else will develop downloads/rosters for that game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »