Home

Desmond Howard to cover NCAA Football 06

This is a discussion on Desmond Howard to cover NCAA Football 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 14
Re: Desmond Howard to cover NCAA Football 06

Personally, I think its not a great idea to show everyone that you have to go back 15 years to find someone who conveys what the Heisman is supposed to be about. I wouldve thought just the trophy even would have been better.

Official release sent to maddennation by EA:

Quote:
FORMER HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER DESMOND HOWARD SELECTED FOR COVER OF EA’S NCAA FOOTBALL 06 VIDEO GAME
All-New Race for the Heisman Mode Gives Gamers the Chance to Win the Prestigious Heisman Trophy

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – May 3, 2005 – Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that former Heisman Memorial Trophy® Award winner Desmond Howard will appear on the cover of NCAA® Football 06, the newest iteration of EA SPORTS™ best-selling college football video game franchise. In an all-new Race for the Heisman mode, players can start their career as a prep star and work their way to becoming one of the nation’s top collegiate players with the hopes of winning the coveted Heisman Trophy.

“Desmond Howard provided one of the most vivid Heisman moments in college football history and what better way to capture the essence of NCAA Football 06 than by putting his memorable Heisman touchdown pose on the cover of our game,” said Todd Sitrin, Vice President, Marketing at EA’s Tiburon studio.

“I’m very excited about being chosen to be on the cover of NCAA Football 06,” said Desmond Howard. “Winning the Heisman Trophy was one of the greatest moments of my football career and it’s cool that EA SPORTS is now giving gamers the chance to experience that for themselves in NCAA Football 06.”

Howard, a former receiver at the University of Michigan from 1988-1991, won the Heisman Trophy in 1991 as a junior after catching 61 passes for 950 yards and 19 touchdowns (23 total touchdowns). He was the first receiver in Big Ten conference history to lead the league in scoring with 138 points. A first round draft pick by the Washington Redskins in the 1992 NFL Draft, Howard went on to be named MVP of Super Bowl XXXI while with the Green Bay Packers.

With all new features, redesigned graphics and improved gameplay, NCAA Football 06 continues to be the most authentic and realistic college football gaming experience. Gamers can act as Impact Players and single handedly break games wide open with highlight reel moves and special animations or take control of a program and make a run for the championship through a revamped Dynasty Mode. In addition, NCAA Football 06 has the exclusive license for college football videogames, and will be the only game to feature actual teams, stadiums and schools.

Developed in Orlando, Florida by EA Tiburon, NCAA Football 06 will be available in July on the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft. The game’s official website is www.ncaafootball06.com.

About Electronic Arts
Electronic Arts (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for videogame systems, personal computers and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under three brand names: EA SPORTS™, EA GAMES™ and EA SPORTS BIG™. In fiscal 2004, EA posted revenues of $2.96 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

###

Electronic Arts, EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS BIG and EA GAMES are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All names, logos, team icons, and mascots associated with the NCAA, universities, bowls and conferences are the exclusive properties of the respective institutions. NCAA is a registered trademark of National Collegiate Athletic Association. Heisman Memorial Trophy and likeness of the actual trophy are registered service marks by the Downtown Athletic Club under registration numbers 936,853 and 935,852 respectively. PlayStation is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Microsoft and Xbox are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #26
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

Desmond Howard is the epitome of what the Heisman stands for? So showboating and self-glorification are what the Heisman is about? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Packer fan and I loved having Desmond when he was on our side, and I don't want to bring down Desmond as an individual. What I'm attacking is the pose itself. I cannot think of a more selfish on-field action than striking the Heisman pose.

No, Nile Kinnick was what the Heisman Trophy is all about. Howard's pose is exactly what's wrong with the Heisman. Although I guess since the whole idea of the mode is to promote the individual, it fits right in.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #27
Pro

jmill703's Arena

OVR: 6

Is Desmond Hoawrd that guy that was with the Packers when they won the super bowl and he had like 2 or 3 punt returns for touchdowns? I remember him getting traded to Oakland after that year and he hasn't done anything since....

Back to the topic....Stupid idea in my opinion.

Last edited by jmill703; 05-04-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill703
Is Desmond Hoawrd that guy that was with the Packers when they won the super bowl and he had like 2 or 3 punt returns for touchdowns? I remember he getting traded to Oakland after that year and he hasn't done anything since....

Back to the topic....Stupid idea in my opinion.
Yes.. But Howard still had a few good yrs with oakland on Speial teams.. Returned 3 punts while he was a Raider.. Wnt to the lions & had some minor success there too..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 05-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #29
All Star

OVR: 21

I dont see what everyones problem with this is. That was one of the most memorable moments in CFB history and it fits in perfectly with EA's new feature. So why not use it?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #30
PSU
Banned

PSU's Arena

OVR: 9

this is much better then any other players. none of the players who just got drafted were stars anyways, they were all just good players.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU9399
I dont see what everyones problem with this is. That was one of the most memorable moments in CFB history and it fits in perfectly with EA's new feature. So why not use it?
i agree wholeheartedly. it's just the cover guys, and it's probably only going to be for this year in debuting the heisman mode.

as for desmond's "grandstanding" and "showboating", i disagree. at that time, he was the shoe in for the heisman with a good performance against Ohio State in the final game of the season. he had just returned a punt for a TD which helped lead UM to victory over OSU in a game of significant magnitude. given the circumstances, the pose was warranted and not mean spirited.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek
I actually like it....especially if the cover has him doing the Heisman. I honestly don't see anyone in this years draft class who would be any better.

EA going retro...I can dig it!!!!!
agreed, I like It.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »