Home

Happy to see this game actually playing wide open like real college ball

This is a discussion on Happy to see this game actually playing wide open like real college ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Happy to see this game actually playing wide open like real college ball

I love shootouts, but I also love smash mouth defensive battles. I dont' have a problem with deep balls being completed at all. Especially to star players. There are some games when only one guy on the field will be a future NFL star, he usually DOMINATES those games in college. No problem with that. I do hope however if you have a dominant corner that he's much harder to beat deep.

I also want the CPU to have a short passing game too. If I'm calling deep zones I don't want him forcing it up top. Dink and dunk me underneath. THen I'll be happy. You can't blitz, blitz, blitz and expect the CPU NOT to take advantage on single coverage. I know as a player EVERY time I walk up to the line of scrimmage I see if there's a chance I could get something deep. You'd be crazy not too if the coverage dictates it.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #18
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

My problem is not the big plays. That's what college football is about. My problem is that too many deep balls seem to be perfectly thrown. Most college QBs are not capable of throwing deep passes that accurately. Especially QBs from Army or Navy. Did you see that vid? I'm not worried since sliders should take care of that, but we've seen ineffective sliders before.

I wouldn't play college football if I didn't want to see big plays, but where are the underthrown deep passes? The overthrown deep passes? The jump balls? A lot of big plays happen in the passing game because of the athleticism of the WRs, not the accuracy of the QBs. Think about how many college QBs with huge numbers, Heisman trophies even, have not made it in the NFL.

And a side note: I don't understand why people who point out what they feel are flaws are labeled whiners. Aren't those name callers infact whining about what others are whining about?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
My problem is not the big plays. That's what college football is about. My problem is that too many deep balls seem to be perfectly thrown. Most college QBs are not capable of throwing deep passes that accurately. Especially QBs from Army or Navy. Did you see that vid? I'm not worried since sliders should take care of that, but we've seen ineffective sliders before.
Exactly. Well said. Not once do you see deep balls that are horribly overthrown or underthrown, but that happens alot in college football. In fact, the ONLY time deep balls are incomplete is when the DB jumps up and bats it away. I don't mind that the CPU takes it's shots downfield...in fact, I prefer it...BUT, don't let me see a beautifully thrown, perfect spiral that hits the receiver in the breadbasket 50 yards downfield every time. Like you say, lowering the QB Accuracy slider way down for BOTH sides should take care of that...but you never know.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
It's quite clear that you missing the point. The problem some people are having with last years games is that too many of them were 14-10 games, regardless of the matchup. College football is a wide open brand of the game, it's as simple as that. One more time, it's not the NFL, it's the NCAA.
No, I get the point very clearly. The fact that you feel there can be "too many 14-10 games.." drives that point home. I would like to assume your strictly talking HUM vs CPU because I can't see anyone getting enjoyment out of beating someone or getting beat 66-7, 55-10, etc. To that end, what joy do you get out of beating or getting beat by the CPU by those types of lopsided scores?

Again, I am strictly talking HUM vs HUM. There is nothing like a battle down to the wire.

So you found more enjoyment out of the USC thrashing of the Sooners, as opposed to the OT battle between Ohio State and my beloved Canes a few years back? I just find that hard to believe.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #21
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Exactly. Well said. Not once do you see deep balls that are horribly overthrown or underthrown, but that happens alot in college football. In fact, the ONLY time deep balls are incomplete is when the DB jumps up and bats it away. I don't mind that the CPU takes it's shots downfield...in fact, I prefer it...BUT, don't let me see a beautifully thrown, perfect spiral that hits the receiver in the breadbasket 50 yards downfield every time. Like you say, lowering the QB Accuracy slider way down for BOTH sides should take care of that...but you never know.
Yeah, the only time I see a deep ball hit the ground instead of a pair of hands is because someone committed pass interference... and it's usually not called.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #22
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
No, I get the point very clearly. The fact that you feel there can be "too many 14-10 games.." drives that point home. I would like to assume your strictly talking HUM vs CPU because I can't see anyone getting enjoyment out of beating someone or getting beat 66-7, 55-10, etc. To that end, what joy do you get out of beating or getting beat by the CPU by those types of lopsided scores?

Again, I am strictly talking HUM vs HUM. There is nothing like a battle down to the wire.

So you found more enjoyment out of the USC thrashing of the Sooners, as opposed to the OT battle between Ohio State and my beloved Canes a few years back? I just find that hard to believe.
I think you're talking apples and others are talking oranges. The variety in gameplay that we're talking about "57-13" and "21-17" games are strictly for HUM vs. CPU dynasty. We want to play games that feel different and have different outcomes depending on who is playing (FSU v. Cal Poly should be a blow out, FSU v. MIA a close defensive battle, etc.). Of course, nail bitters are great for HUM v. HUM games... and of course, a close match-up is more exciting to watch on TV then blowouts.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 6

Well you guys should watch more Ohio State football they pride themselves on defensive battles. I don't mind the wide open game either with the right kind of teams and players also like Jistic said like Hawaii vs. Oregon. A 55-35 shootout b/t Ohio State and Penn State should not be happening every game. Lets just hope there is some variation and a defensive players can take over a game too. But the bottom line is defense wins championships and offense sells tickets...or in this case games.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I think you're talking apples and others are talking oranges. The variety in gameplay that we're talking about "57-13" and "21-17" games are strictly for HUM vs. CPU dynasty. We want to play games that feel different and have different outcomes depending on who is playing (FSU v. Cal Poly should be a blow out, FSU v. MIA a close defensive battle, etc.). Of course, nail bitters are great for HUM v. HUM games... and of course, a close match-up is more exciting to watch on TV then blowouts.
No, I understand the HUM vs CPU point. So basically if your using FSU, and the CPU is Cal Poly, wouldn't you just simulate that game since you already know its going to be a blowout? I guess I just can't see the fun in that but hey, that's just me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »